Bud Mold

Jackalope

Just had my first attack of bud mold. The breeder had warned me that some plants were susceptible to bud mold. So I knew to watch for it.
While my case may be different then others. I figured I would share my experience. The only signs I had was 2 small yellow leaf fingers. This was what I was told to watch for so it was not brilliant thinking on my part. I'm flushing now so there are lots of yellow leaves but these were different. This yellow showed only 1 yellow finger on each leaf. These pulled right out at the stalk. Only 2 but it would have been easy to miss if I wasn't monitoring them.
After a search for more mold ended. I took the offending buds off below the mold and trimmed them down and cleaned up all the mold I could find. Not much because it was caught early. Inside the buds I found little mold but the trichomes were already starting to turn amber. A few even brown. While the rest of the bud is still a week or so immature it is not a total loss. Another few days and all the trichomes would have been ruined.
So this is a reminder. Keep a good eye on your plants daily. Especially when they are getting close to finish. Not only is it fun but it helps keeps your girls healthy.
Good life and good growing

You are welcome. I should mention that those plants were grown indoors. You mention fall harvest. That makes me think you are outdoors. Things may be different if that is the case.

My problem wasn't a wet fall or anything natural. At the time I was trying to finish a harvest and those plants went lots later than I had planned. Heat was the major issue which brought humidity way up when lights were off. That is also another reason I kept such a close eye on them. I knew the heat would bring more problems along for the ride. Temps were regularly up to 90 to 100 degrees even with lights off. Lots of days the temp was higher with the lights off then they were with them on. I only ran the lights at night because if temp issues. So glad I have solved those problems LOL.

I've got a lot of condensation in my greenhouse this time of the year with nite time temps getting into the 40'sF and days 80ish. I turned down the thermostat on my exhaust fan so it kicks on at 55F instead of 75F, and that helps a bit. It also seems to have sped up bloom a bit. A friend has clones of my plants outside unprotected, and all 4 strains are more advanced in bloom than mine. I'm thinking nite temps have been warmer in the greenhouse, and that retarded bloom.

That's weird for sure. I didn't think temps in those ranges would cause that much difference. In flower time anyway. Sweating walls is a scary thing in flower for sure.

So much difference's in all the types of growing. Indoor, greenhouse, and outdoor all have their pit falls and advantages.

Back
Top Bottom