LEDs possibly increasing flowering times? What are your thoughts?

No Pain

Within the past year I have switched from hps /mh to leds . Since I have started using leds I have noticed extended flowering times . Especially this run . the first couple was with a hp aero system I designed and this run I was using my new design and blew the dust off of my areo flow 20 that I had used for almost 10 years with mh/hps lamps , but now I was using leds. everything in the areoflow 20 was a nine-10 week flowering strain , blue dream by hso , green crack by crop king and ice cream by paradise seeds. For nutes I had always just used gh 3 part as it was simple . This time I wanted to give advanced nutrient full line a try (advanced haters don't judge please ).

now almost everyone has there definition as to when flowering begins and when its time to harvest . My definition of when flowering begins as a general rule for me is 2 weeks after flip to 12/12. My definition for ready to harvest is 30% amber with cloudy and some clear tric's after the flowers have finished swelling, I use a usb hand held for this . I do not believe in harvesting until the above indicators are met no matter how long or short the time frame is.

here is the reason I am posting and wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing. Now like I said all the ladies in the areo flow are supposed to be 9-10 week flowering strains . Most of you will find the next couple statements hard to believe and I say this because I am having difficulty with it and im living it . lol
These Ladies are on WEEK 17 yes Week 17 !!! of flowering and still not ready ice cream is getting close maybe another week tops 2 ,Gc is still another 3 and blue dream well that one is a multi harvest type as I have the sativa phenos and around day 53 in flower she blew up with new cola growth and here at Week 17 they have just started to slightly swell so Im thinking its going to go almost another 6. which put these ladies at 19-23 WEEKS!!!

now they are all healthy plants and there are no light leaks and they are on a 12/12 schedule. now I know I could turn it to a 10/14 and speeds things up but I never had to do this using other lights running similar strains . Also I am not complaining about how long its taking as my focus has and is always on a superior product gauged by my definitions.

so my question is again has anyone else experienced extended flowering times using leds?

112 views and no opinions ?? come on I know someone has an opinion on this lol . just some info , I have found one grower on youtube that has experienced something similar using leds, adding about a 4 weeks to his grows . he does have a different brand of lights , but then again I don't really know how he likes his tric's.

112 views and no opinions ?? come on I know someone has an opinion on this lol . just some info , I have found one grower on youtube that has experienced something similar using leds, adding about a 4 weeks to his grows . he does have a different brand of lights , but then again I don't really know how he likes his tric's.

I feel LED's do the exact opposite.( *For Clarity* When I say LED's I mean those that are implementing far red into their spectrum.)
I believe they speed up flowering cycles.
There are lots of peer reviewed studies of the implementation of the far red spectrum on plants and the effects.
Far red 710-850nm is a crucial role in the Sunrise Sunset feature with our lights. This wakes the plants up with UV 365-400nm gradually increasing spectrum and intensity peaking then gradually lowering intensity and eventually ending with IR far red 680-760nm.
Sorry for making this a commercial but I hope it was useful.
Google far red effects on plant growth. Look for a reputable publication. anou will be pretty amazed what adding far red to your light cycle can do.

I feel LED’s do the exact opposite.( *For Clarity* When I say LED’s I mean those that are implementing far red into their spectrum.)
I believe they speed up flowering cycles.
There are lots of peer reviewed studies of the implementation of the far red spectrum on plants and the effects.
Far red 710-850nm is a crucial role in the Sunrise Sunset feature with our lights. This wakes the plants up with UV 365-400nm gradually increasing spectrum and intensity peaking then gradually lowering intensity and eventually ending with IR far red 680-760nm.
Sorry for making this a commercial but I hope it was useful.
Google far red effects on plant growth. Look for a reputable publication. anou will be pretty amazed what adding far red to your light cycle can do.

Thank you for the reply my friend . I understand exactly what you are saying its the same reason that back in the day before conversion bulbs that you used a mh for veg and then switch to hps for flower . I will google an article to further educate myself and no worries on sounding like a commercial . lol here are the specs on my lights in regards to spectrum and they are on the red side when you look at them I don't have any burple going on here ..430~440nm, 450~460nm, 470nm, 610~615nm, 620~630nm, 650~660nm, 730nm (infrared) , UV 380~400nm (ultraviolet) and white.

Back
Top Bottom