UVB 280nm Light assisting THC production

grandma

According to an article posted by the Moose, UVB light contributes to THC production. The article claims that HID, LED and plants grown in certain greenhouses will not have access to UVB light. The article seems to indicate that about 200milliwatts/cm2 would be sufficient.

My question is, does anyone dispute the article (ie, do plants need UVB to create THC)?

And if UVB is required, how many power LEDs would be required per metre square to provide 200 milliwatts/cm2?

They require very little. Very little.

They explain the whole process and do some serious postulating in more than one article on the subject, but overall it makes sense.

There is a theory that the glandular trichomes actually capture and direct certain wavelengths down into the base of the trich. Wavelengths are filtered through and (Converted), the further to the bottom of the trich you go. The UVB plays a role somewhere in the trich, but how much of a role, and what effect, is still debated.

I actually looked up the LEDs you would need, and they are very small and very cheap. Problem is they only have a 30 degree angle and they are pretty low power. For an average sized 4x4 I would say only one or 2 would be required, depending on the led.

I can source Power LEDs and smaller in the required wavelength, and at any viewing angle up to 130 degrees. My plan was to put a couple of LED array bulbs (7x1 watt) with 6 red 650nm and one 280nm UVB in a closet setup with about 6 of the (7x1) bulb arrays.

Do you think this would be sufficient Boss?

Thats a top idea growrilla. The reptile lights are $35 for one, $50 for two.
4 compact fluorescent bulbs at 12 inches gives out the same UVB as an average day in the Afghani mountains.

So, it's not hard to provide the UVB, but do we need to do so?
I think that the issue need some empirical testing.

Speculatively, if the resin sphere is composed of CBG that turns to THC, could this not be done at the gland site? I am not convinced of this talk of the resin sphere focusing the good light down into the bowels of the plant to produce THC. I am open to the idea though. But is dosen't have to be 'focusing' the UVB. It could be that the resin sphere comes to contain more THC through UVB converting CBG to THC at the sphere site. In which case, resin spheres could be treated with UVB to control THC conversion after the plant had been picked and has made.

Another claim is that UVB is required to make medical grade pot that has a pain relief effect. What do the medical users have to say about this? Does your HPS grown weed provide enough THC to provide effective relief? How about LED grown medicinal?

It's not so much the THC, as all of the Cannabinoids. The different wavelengths could have something to do with what gets converted to what. ***** did say that the tests that were done produced minimal effects toward the uvb test plants.

gland-011.jpg

It this image, it is easy to see the layers and the focal cells. We know that it happens, and we know that Cannabinoids are made in different cells and more CBD is stored at the base. We have yet to separate it all out. THC must be heated to be tested from what I understand, so there is much research to do.

You know I never tried using UVB reptile bulbs during any of my grows, but I use to have some herps and I have 6,15w flourescent light fixtures with UVB bulbs and I'm planning to use them for my current grow once I put them in flower.

According to Marijuana man potency increase and he said he verified the results in this video and also that's why you don't find any naturally grown marijuana growing anywhere on earth except where's near the equator where theres a lot of UVB!

So I'm looking forward to this! I don't know if this link is allowed?

YouTube - THC, UVB and Me

I'm going to try this as well, when I get a few xtra bucks to toss at it. I'm considering setting a couple of bulbs on timers and giving my plants 15 minute exposures 3 or 4 times a day, then increasing that in later flowering to 30 minute exposures 4 times a day. Adding more light in the range of the spectrum the sun produces only makes sense, especially those that may be responsible for increased THC realization.

:peace:

Harry

Thats a long video but he makes sense. I'm gunna try my pet store for UV lights. I think ill go with his suggestion of 5 hours in the middle of the plants day.

I found this one the web when I was doing my research on these..

A researcher conducted a controlled experiment in a greenhouse. He lit a group of high potency plants similarly except with the addition of UVB light to some groups. He found that the percentage of THC increased in a direct ratio with the increase in UVB light. This research confirms the adage that high altitude plants are more potent than those grown at low altitudes.

If you look at old-world land races of cannabis, plants that have become adapted to the climate and latitude, the ratio of THC to CBD starts at 100 : 1 at the equator. At the 30th parallel (The Hindu-Kush Valley) the plants have a ratio of 50 : 50. At the 45th parallel the ratio is near 1 : 100. This corresponds roughly with the amount of UVB light received at these latitudes. There is much more UVB at the equator than the 45th parallel.

How can you get more UVB light to your plants? Certainly it's true that MH lamps emit more UVB light than HPS lamps. Still the amount that MH lamps emit is small. In fact, many manufacturers use UVB shielding glass to filter out most of the UVB that's produced. The UVB light the plant receives from an MH lamp does increase the plant's potency slightly at the cost of yield, but there are better ways to introduce UVB light into the grow room. They include reptile lights, which emit about 10% UVB, and tanning lamps.

I've also been reading that some growers are having success with Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 bulbs. They are suppose to emit moderate to high levels of UVB output. These look like CFLs..

Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Compact Tropical Terrarium Lamp - Lighting - Heating & Lighting - PetSmart

I think they have a 10.0 bulb that emits even higher levels of UVB.

I'll be eagerly following your testing.

:peace:

Harry

so I was looking into this as well, and see they do that 10.0 as well. I guess the question is how much is too much. prolly benefit from the use of the uv meter....

how are the plants doing dagermankid...? really interested in seeing this applied effectively. thanks for checking this out. Cheers!

I'm supplementing my 400W hps with a reptile lite 1-2 hours a day during my 12/12 cycle. I also saw the video and had one of the lights lying around so i decided to use it - but not sure - probably not - that i'm experienced enough to know if it helps or not.

excellent. thnks for the feedback. I have settled on leaving a good thing alone again for now. My approach has been fruitful and I think I will just proceed to get some more growing experience behind me for now.

ok so I changed my mind again....... geez! I got two x self ballasted MH 160W SolarGlo bulbs from Hagen. I read a bunch on the comparisons of bulbs, and output, and tolerable limits etc. I guess we'll see what if anythging is different. I have grown this strain (Top44) before in the same3 conditions without the added UVB. Certainly not worthy of peer review nor scientific robustness tests but ... good enuf for the girsl we go with! Walk On!~

10% of total wattage used in the grow room is ample UV light. ( Ask Ed )

Back
Top Bottom