What to do with hermaphrodite?

I like to refer to the hermaphrodites as SHIMS :cool: I just found a hermaphrodite and put her back into my veg closet and keeping SHIM going until summer. Once summer rolls around I am going to put her outside and let it ride. You do get bud from the plant and I could always use the smoke :grinjoint: I would keep it away from your flowering area unless you want a bunch of seeded herb :ganjamon:

Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants. From my experience, Herm plants don't fertilize the entire room. Usually they only fertilize itself and a few plants close to it. If you do have a herm I suggest you move it away from the other plants and dont have a fan blowing on it unless ofcourse you want alot of female seeds.

I didn't wait for peoples responses. I took the plant out of the grow space and since i dont have more space to keep it alive, I killed the plant. I trimmed off the leaves and hung it upside down to dry out. I'm sure there will only MAYBE 2-3 grams of bud. Mainly just lots of white hairs with crystals.

I wish I would of check this out yesterday cause my female turn hermie on and and I just Harvested her. I wish I could of keep the seeds.

are seeds from a hermaphrodite more likely to produce hermaphrodites or just feminine seeds?

Here's what Stix said..

Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants.

Any seeds from a herm female will be female. Some say that those seeds will have a tendancy to become a herm plant as well. I definately wouldnt say that's always true or even normally true. In fact from my experience I would say the opposite is true. I've grown alot of seeds over the past years from herm plants and ended up with 100% healthy female plants. From my experience, Herm plants don't fertilize the entire room. Usually they only fertilize itself and a few plants close to it. If you do have a herm I suggest you move it away from the other plants and dont have a fan blowing on it unless ofcourse you want alot of female seeds.

:thanks: Great info.

Q's:
1. But how can you tell, if you have a male Herm. or a Fem herm.

2. Does Male plants grow female seeds ? (sorry if that sounded dumb, but i just wanna get a clear up on it)

Hairs for female, pollen sacks for male. If both show it's prob a hermie. When the pollen sacks open and dust the buds with hairs, it will grow a seed. I mistakenly pollinated a few buds and saw seeds grow. But if they're feminized, its cool with me if it's only a few here and there.

:nicethread::bigtoke: Fucc dude, It's like you guys looked in my grow space this morning. But yeah dude i found a hermie in my crop 2day. I'm glad i read this because i was goin 2 cut them down. But if the seeds are going 2 be female 100% then hell yeah bro, I'm going to keep the plant and the seeds. Because it's super bomb bud. It's a hybrid(og kush& Pure kush) It's kick ass bro.The high is Great. I love 420 mag. For the Info you get from fello stoner's . Peace and love.And may "Jah" Bless us all.:thanks::bong:

so males only produce male seeds, and female only produce female seeds?

think of it like human beings. Male humans produce sperm while Male plants produce pollen. Female Humans produce eggs while Female plants produce Bud. The only way the Female Human can produce offspring is by getting fertilized by the male sperm. The only way Female plants can produce seeds is by getting fertilized by male pollen.

exception to the rule would be hermaphrodite. In nature an occurence can sometimes happen by a female plant towards the end of the flowering phase when the female plant still hasnt received its pollen it can actually create it's own by becoming a hermaphrodite. This way it can fertilize itself and produce seeds. It's natures last ditch effort to keep the species alive. These seeds will be female because it came from a plant that only has female genetics.

If a plant becomes hermaphrodite because of unusual stresses IE. Malnutrition and heat. then it can become hermaphrodite in a negative way which can possilby cause the seeds to have hermaphrodite tendancies.

Hope this helps clear up some things.

think of it like human beings. Male humans produce sperm while Male plants produce pollen. Female Humans produce eggs while Female plants produce Bud. The only way the Female Human can produce offspring is by getting fertilized by the male sperm. The only way Female plants can produce seeds is by getting fertilized by male pollen.

exception to the rule would be hermaphrodite. In nature an occurence can sometimes happen by a female plant towards the end of the flowering phase when the female plant still hasnt received its pollen it can actually create it's own by becoming a hermaphrodite. This way it can fertilize itself and produce seeds. It's natures last ditch effort to keep the species alive. These seeds will be female because it came from a plant that only has female genetics.

If a plant becomes hermaphrodite because of unusual stresses IE. Malnutrition and heat. then it can become hermaphrodite in a negative way which can possilby cause the seeds to have hermaphrodite tendancies.

:thanks: that pretty much cleared it up for me, i thought plants produce differ from humans, guess its the same almost.

where u stated that theres basically 2 ways hermies happen which is the natural way and the stressed way.
And the natural way is a last ditch effort to produce seeds which are usually fem. My question is what is the percentage of female plants that would turn hermie out of say 10 plants and what causes the plant to go hermie naturally? Is it over maturating the plant or genetic related or what. The reason Im asking is I want to try and turn a clone only plant into seeds for easy transportation but I dont want the seeds to be genetically predisposed to being hermies, or be cross breed with anything. Any help u can give me would be greatly appreciated and what ever u reply with I will post on the forum for anyone else interested in the information and again thank you.

Hi Chaps,Im a newbie at this and had 4 great looking flowering plants but one of them on week 3 started showing seeds.i did not realise it would ruin the entire crop.(Doh)Looks like im starting all over again.is it worth continueing untill harves to keep for smoking or should i bin everything including the seeds.(learn from your mistakes and all that.(GUTTED) :(

Ok, my three flowering plants: one 100% female, one half and half, one all pollen sacs. I am sure they were all female but turned hermaphrodite. The pollen is as thick as smoke at a bob marley concert. Now the buds are producing what looks like seeds.
Swell.
Are the seeds going to be female? Will they produce simsemilla plants?
Will the 1,000,000,000 bits of pollen pollinize all plants I grow in that room for infinity? How long will this pollen remain viable?
Do I have to burn down the grow room to get rid of the pollen or am I safe to start flowering new plants?

If one is all pollen sacs its a male. . . Any pollen from the hermi plant that made a seed is a femenized seed, any pollen from the male is a normal seed. . . I'd hack them down and start over.

As for the pollen I would clean the room and spray a lot of water, any pollen that comes in contact with the water is sterile after doing so. Wish you got a pic of all that pollen flyin around.

If one is all pollen sacs its a male. . . Any pollen from the hermi plant that made a seed is a femenized seed, any pollen from the male is a normal seed. . . I'd hack them down and start over.

As for the pollen I would clean the room and spray a lot of water, any pollen that comes in contact with the water is sterile after doing so. Wish you got a pic of all that pollen flyin around.

I would swear the all three were females. It all seemed to happen so fast I got caught suprised. The pollen was so thick you could write your name in the air. So you think these seed will be worthless?
How long will the pollen I can't clean up be viable? Like, eons, i'll bet.

I'll take some pics if I move them.

Oh!, What about the vegitation room. Those plants and the young'uns got a little on em too. Can I just rinse them off?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom