Adding Content After HTTP Links in Posts

If I include a live link in a post, and then go back to edit the post after submitting it (or while I'm still editing it, if I then switch to the advanced view), everything I type is underlined and in blue text (signifying a link). Clicking on the Preview button causes the same bug to appear. I'll post a semi-random link, then press Enter afterwards (IOW, new line). And then I'll click on the Preview button. Below the message preview, in the post entry/edit box, I move the cursor down as far as I can - instead of being at the beginning of the next line, the end of the post has gone back to the end of the link. I scratch my head, think that's odd, but don't pay much attention. UNTIL I press Enter (again) and start typing.

https://rightoncrime.com/2017/07/unconstitutional-use-of-civil-asset-forfeiture/

This is not a link.

Neither is this.

As you can see, I'm just typing.

Then I press Enter a couple of times...

...and type some more.

Bug.

EDIT: (Yep, still does it :icon_roll ) This bug is 100% repeatable.

Hey staff, IDK for sure, but it looks like the [/URL] at the end of the link is somehow getting pushed all the way to the end. IOW, instead of being directly after this code tag - which is the standard and expected behavior, e.g., if I post an image, any further post entry and/or edit activity places the cursor after the [/IMG] tag - the user finds himself/herself not only positioned before the closing tag but unable to move past it.

Which is... really quite odd, lol. I can work around this, I think... Let me try something... I need a link. Pick a link, any link, any link at all (shuffles deck of links and deals one off the bottom whilst distracting the other players)...

150W HPS - 18 pics - 9 weeks flower

THIS! Yes, I can work around the bug. Switching the editor to Source Mode not only displays the closing [/URL] tag (obviously), it also allows me to cursor down past it! So if the bug is not with the routine that parses the links, or handles the various CODE tags in general, then it's in the Source Mode editor code. Should be fairly easy to track down and fix, but reality doesn't always cooperate with our expectations, lol. I hope I was able to give enough information to help. Good luck!

THIS... is not a test... of your Emergency Broadcasting System ;) .

Here is a link about photoperiodism. I was incorrectly using the term "phototropic" until someone was nice enough to correct me (thanks!).

Photoperiodism

I pressed Enter after pasting the link. Then I switched to the Advanced mode, received the standard message preview and advanced editor. The new end of message had gone back to the end of the link (my "Enter" had been lost). This worried me - UNtIL I pressed Enter again. As you can see, I was able to type this as per normal. It is NOT part of the link.

It appears that your webmaster has successfully managed to kill, stuff, and mount this bug. I will try once more to cause it, by pasting the same link at the end of this message, posting it, and then going back to see if I'm still fine during an edit.

Photoperiodism
Edit: I "forgot" to add that the above link also (briefly) discusses phytochrome, red, far-red, the hourglass model, the circadian rhythm model, et cetera.

SUCCESS! I even chose to end my post without even pressing Enter after posting the link - the cursor was still at the end of it when I posted the message. When I began editing it, of course, the cursor was at that location. Merely pressing Enter took me to a new line that was in no way still "connected' to the link.

Thank you, Teddy, and please extend my thanks to everyone that worked on the issue (and a general thanks to all of the staff, along with 420, for everything you/they do and have done for years).

Back
Top Bottom