T5, Kelvin Ratings and The Grow Cycle

HighWaterMark

I haven't heard much about the T5 fluorescent systems as of late.

Do you still look for the same split: 2700K for flowering and 6400K for vegging? Or as close as one can get. Also, what wattage is considered optimal? 100W total per plant as with CFLs?

Finally, do people mix the two Kelvin ratings in a single, say six-bulb fixture and use it for a full grow cycle?

you're spot on. Regardless of the light type, the wave length remains the same for what the plant wants for each stage.. As far as wattage goes, I would go for at least 100W per plant if you plan on flowering them.. Otherwise for vegging, 100W would be enough for a handful of plants. I'm actually picking up a 110W T5 tonight for vegging clones and seedlings. I plan on running around 6 small plants in there at a time.

For your last question, yes you can definitely mix the kelvin ratings to provide the plants with a wide range of light.

Hope this helps you out some. Good luck growing.

The CriMsonK20, thanks for taking the time to write.

Regarding my last question, would three 2700K bulbs plus three 6400K bulbs be and optimal combination for a six-bulb fixture - seedling to harvest?

Do you have a favorite online outlet?

Yeah mixing both spectrum's would give you the best of both worlds, tight node spacing, and thick flowers. You could also get all of the same bulb and swap them when you change cycles.. More work, but you would get more of the desired wavelength.

My favorite place to get lights from is HTG supply. They have an online store, and some retail stores scattered all over. I'm lucky to have one fairly close to me, so I get all of my supplies from there. They have a 110W compact T5 setup with 2 bulbs for $70. I just bought one last night and my seedlings are already loving it.

You advocate switching over a combined spectrum?
I personally would, as vegging plants don't get too much from the reddish range, might as well pump them with cooler light so they stack on the nodes really tightly. I have some plants that have been flowering for 2 weeks and had the MH on them through veg and the first week and a half of flower, and the nodes are so tight the main cola is almost a solid 8 inches already. I definitely think keeping the cooler light on them during the initial flower stretch is the best move indoors, it keeps the plant at a nice height and keeps the nodes really close together.. Then you want the warmer light for flowering as it will increase bud production.

Crimson King, thanks much for the sage advice. It is appreciated.

Hey guys before you this thread moves down I just wanted to kind of make things more clear for me. I have a T5 4x2 setup right now with only two plants under them and this is my first grow ever. I run the light 24/0 for veg right now but I though I would have to get a different light for flowing? I didn’t think that I could do my whole cycle under the same lights? And if this is all correct how are the yields? Do the buds come out nice?

t5 will work for bud, just dont veg them too big. flo's dont penetrate into the canopy very far when compared to HID.

im planing on using t5 for veg stage & im planing on building a greenhouse for flowering stage.
do you guys think if i flower them in a greenhouse it will have a good yield like an indoor crop??

just thought i would jump in, with my 2 cents worth. I recently purchased a t5ho 2'x2' 8 bulb fixture. got it from a local grow shop for around 182.00. man is that thing bright. plan on vegg 6 small plants under it.

Back
Top Bottom