Fully Automated Grow Room?

BlaccSmoke

I was wondering if anyone could help me setting up my grow room?

I want a fully automated (or as little maintenance as possible) grow room because I work 12+ hours a day on a fishing boat (sometimes away for weeks at a time). So it's a bit hard to care properly for my plants, anyway I've decided to go automated but the problem is I don't really know anything about automated grow rooms.

I was thinking about using my old tower pc to run the system and putting the computer in the grow room and set it all up in there because I don't want something that can be changed from anywhere in the world (I'm paranoid).

Any and all information you could give me would be great (I couldn't find anything on forums or google to help with my situation), so I pretty much need to know everything (automated programs, what I need to buy, etc.)

Any helps appreciated

I have some references on a different computer - so I will subscribe to your thread and check back later.

I think your best bet is going to be a soil grow. You can purchase large "reservoirs" that your containers go into. Hook a storage tank for nutrient solution up to this with a timer and float (to prevent flooding). Figure out a schedule, and the amount of solution you need to release (using the float), and you are in business. The solution flows into the reservoir and the plants will feed from the bottom. A couple of days after the reservoir is dry... have the timer set to fill it up again.

It will be a little tough to figure out how much water you need - but it is feasible to do without spending a lot of money.

If you have access to an internet connection - you could even set it up so that you could check the grow room while you are gone!

One other quick thought...

For safety reasons... please get an automatic fire extinguisher system for the room. If something happens, this will put out any fires even if you are gone. Better to come home to a ruined grow than an angry cop and fireman.

I have some references on a different computer - so I will subscribe to your thread and check back later.

I think your best bet is going to be a soil grow. You can purchase large "reservoirs" that your containers go into. Hook a storage tank for nutrient solution up to this with a timer and float (to prevent flooding). Figure out a schedule, and the amount of solution you need to release (using the float), and you are in business. The solution flows into the reservoir and the plants will feed from the bottom. A couple of days after the reservoir is dry... have the timer set to fill it up again.

It will be a little tough to figure out how much water you need - but it is feasible to do without spending a lot of money.

If you have access to an internet connection - you could even set it up so that you could check the grow room while you are gone!

I don't want it set-up through internet at all really, If I can see it from outside the grow room so can anyone else.

Also wouldn't soil make it harder to get the correct size reservoir and make it harder to tell how much water to give plants, etc?

Soil is more forgiving then hydro so it would give you more cushion room for mistakes.

I would say a drip system on timers with a reservoir prepped. It'd be easiest if you get something like super soil so you only need to add water and nothing more.

I would even encourage a foliar spray automation use things like cloning misters.

Google "growtronix" for the best automated system I have seen. It is stand alone or can be tweaked over the net if you wish.

I agree with greatlife4all that the soil reservoir set up would be the best medium for growing since you will be gone. No worries about pH and PPM...

Good luck and keep us posted !

I think it has pretty much been covered thanks to the replies above what to do if you want a fully automated soil set-up.
This may be the best, easiest or most efficient for you but I'm looking for more of a challenge.

Since it all sounds a bit easy and plain to me and I'm wanting a good project for when I am home. My idea if I decide to go Aeroponic is use the "Grow 2 lbs. on a 2' x 4' 32 Site DIY Aeroponic Unit by DrGreenFinger" that I found on another forum.

I will be building 2 of the Aeroponic systems and they will be lit by two 336x Penetrator Pro's (already had them).

I will be getting a PPM and pH meter of some sort too (looking some options now) and I'll also be using the Lx-140 Multi-Purpose Unit and a all-round nutrient solution.. I'm hoping with the right environment and solution, I can get away with just taking care of my girls when I'm home. I understand if something goes wrong they are most likely all going to die but the way I see it they are dying as it is now anyway.

Any opinions/ideas?

if you have a good knowledge of electrical and feel you could safely put together electrical circuits I can help you fully automate a grow room with relays electrical wiring. I can show how I would personally do it with a top feed drip system that would require 1-2 hours work once a week ad produce 4-6oz per plant(my variety).

but I'm looking for more of a challenge....Any opinions/ideas?

Google,"Arduino".
It is a programmable module that is cheap. There are threads of projects on other forums regarding the Arduino. They are comparable to grotronix, but not plug and play. It is a lot cheaper and a challenge that you may be looking for...

if you have a good knowledge of electrical and feel you could safely put together electrical circuits I can help you fully automate a grow room with relays electrical wiring. I can show how I would personally do it with a top feed drip system that would require 1-2 hours work once a week ad produce 4-6oz per plant(my variety).

You have my attention.

ill throw together a little wiring diagram and basic drawing for you over the course of the day and try upload by the end of the day for you BlaccSmoke:thumb:

okay now im sure my poor ass drawings will need some explaining. iv done my best to make it self explanatory. if you can read proper electrical diagrams I would find it easier to draw that, I drew this assuming no real electrical knowledge. Obviously with my drawings iv only included one watering pump, air pump and circ pump just join in to run at same time for any extras. 1 Air pump can be t'd to feed 4 air stones in 4 separate tubs. circ pump isn't necessary but recommended. 4 tubs can be made into 1 by joining all together with some 3inch pvc (or whatever).that way you can use one larger watering pump to water all 4 tubs. I have 2 tubs, completely separate pumps etc. 4 could be expensive tho.
img0121.jpg

img014.jpg

img013.jpg

img0151.jpg

img0162.jpg

I forgot to mention that for each plant I have found that 25l of solution is a safe amount per plant. never make nutrients to full strength, generally 3/4. I never use ppm. im sure you could dial it in much better. I just find that with 25l per plant at 3/4 strength iv never used too much water or too much nutrient to cause any imbalances. After all 75ml Of a and b nutrient per plant per week is not much at al for peace of mind. if you think it may take 2 week for you to sort out again, just max out your res with around 40-45l :Namaste:

I forgot to mention that for each plant I have found that 25l of solution is a safe amount per plant. never make nutrients to full strength, generally 3/4. I never use ppm. im sure you could dial it in much better. I just find that with 25l per plant at 3/4 strength iv never used too much water or too much nutrient to cause any imbalances. After all 75ml Of a and b nutrient per plant per week is not much at al for peace of mind. if you think it may take 2 week for you to sort out again, just max out your res with around 40-45l :Namaste:

Nice, I might have to give this a try. Thanks for the info :thumb:

ARDUINO !!! And Think about using a water flow sensor, it really sucks when the water stops flowing and nobody knows ....... ;-) lil Preventive maintenance = Peace of Mind

Did you get something put together? I build professional automation, I'll help you create something that you can start day one of flower and not have to come back till harvest. Oh and growtronix=overpriced garbage

Back
Top Bottom