Wanted to share my tent setup

TripleBeam

I wanted to share my 5x5 tent setup to help others solve enviromental problems. Obviously everyones houses are different. I didn't like how my demidifier was heating up my tent being inside it. I was searching around and saw a diagram using a cardboard box for the dehumidifier outside the tent and it gave me an idea. I came up with my own box. :)

1472147040599-1262787790.jpg

Your right but, got to maintain enough airflow for the carbon filter to do it's job.

One way to insure a high enough airspeed through a larger filter is to plastic wrap part of the filter, so that the air flows faster through the part uncovered.

This can also extend the life of a filter, as when the uncovered portion stops being effective, cover it up with plastic wrap and unwrap more of the unused filter that was previously covered. New life to the filter without spending and shipping a new filter.

One way to insure a high enough airspeed through a larger filter is to plastic wrap part of the filter, so that the air flows faster through the part uncovered.

This can also extend the life of a filter, as when the uncovered portion stops being effective, cover it up with plastic wrap and unwrap more of the unused filter that was previously covered. New life to the filter without spending and shipping a new filter.

For the sake of discussion, I don't agree that will extend the life of the filter. Reason being shrinking the surface area will double the amount of work it has to do therefore shrinking its life span on the uncovered side. For example if the life span of the filter is rated at one year, covering one half at a time you would still only effectively get six months each side.

I thought the heat from the dehumidifier is what keeps the humidity at a ceratain level in the grow room (i.e drier air)?

The output from the dehumidifier is drier air but as a by-product you get heated air as well. Which raised my temps from 77 to 83 in my 5x5 setup. Yes 83 is acceptable but not for my tastes. By moving the dehumidifier out of tent and into a space where my tent draws air from, I get the drier air without the heat. The diagram shows how I get the air from the attic space into the tent.

For the sake of discussion, I don't agree that will extend the life of the filter. Reason being shrinking the surface area will double the amount of work it has to do therefore shrinking its life span on the uncovered side. For example if the life span of the filter is rated at one year, covering one half at a time you would still only effectively get six months each side.

point taken. It might not extend fn life.

If the filter is oversized for the fan cfm, you will get the higher airspeed for the filter to work at designed efficiency. That seemed to be a concern for you.

What i did was, I bought a four inch filter, six inch 440 cfm inline fan and, a speed controller. The filter is probably rated around 200 cfm. Which allows me to operate the fan at much lower speed then at full power(440cfm). Keeping fan noise to a minimum. Between the light fans, the filter fan and, the circulating fan(14" on its lowest speed setting) it is very very quiet. Which was my goal. The whole system works great which is why I wanted to share it.

The reason why I decided to make this thread was, I read that during late flower the relative humidity percentage should ideally be between 40 and 50%. So I needed to buy a dehumidifier to be able to lower the RH in my tent. Once the dehumidifier was in the tent it spiked temps by five degrees to 83 or so. I didn't like that. So I started searching online for a solution. I found one concept drawing and it gave me an idea to solve my temperature problem. My point is, I created this thread for the next guy who has the same problem with their tent. At least now there are two drawings available to help that guy.

What i did was, I bought a four inch filter, six inch 440 cfm inline fan and, a speed controller. The filter is probably rated around 200 cfm. Which allows me to operate the fan at much lower speed then at full power(440cfm). Keeping fan noise to a minimum. Between the light fans, the filter fan and, the circulating fan(14" on its lowest speed setting) it is very very quiet. Which was my goal. The whole system works great which is why I wanted to share it.

Excellent. I like your choices.

The reason why I decided to make this thread was, I read that during late flower the relative humidity percentage should ideally be between 40 and 50%. So I needed to buy a dehumidifier to be able to lower the RH in my tent. Once the dehumidifier was in the tent it spiked temps by five degrees to 83 or so. I didn't like that. So I started searching online for a solution. I found one concept drawing and it gave me an idea to solve my temperature problem. My point is, I created this thread for the next guy who has the same problem with their tent. At least now there are two drawings available to help that guy.

I'm glad you found something that works well. In my first flower room, I mounted the balasts outside the room because I expected them to shed a lot of heat. This cost me a lot of trouble in light sealing and deconstructing/reconstructing when I thought one of my balasts had failed. Since the digital balasts barely feel warm to the touch - it probably wasn't worth the trouble to avoid the heat.

It sounds like your testing proves it WAS worth the trouble to have your dehumidifier heat outside your room. This is real good to know.

point taken. It might not extend fn life.

If the filter is oversized for the fan cfm, you will get the higher airspeed for the filter to work at designed efficiency. That seemed to be a concern for you.

Check out this video on n ventilation from The Grow Boss. You can go to 30 min and and watch from there if you like but this is a very informative video! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom