Help with my grow closet

greg625

420-magazine-mobile890032258.jpg

What can i do to improve my grow medium may plant is about 1 1/2 months and its the size it is from what ive read its pretty small for its age but it seems to be growing healthy

Cool grow scro! You should see if you can get this moved to grow journals and make a journal out of this. That way people can subscribe to your journal and watch you progress and offer you help for any problems you may encounter on the way.

I'll be watching.

Spooky .

Hey!

Here are a couple points to consider:

CFL lights emit most of their light from their side so I would try to put the light horizontally.

You can place the light and the plant a little closer together. CFL lights do not require to be as far away as say an HPS for example. I would try to have it as close as I can without it getting the plant too hot.

Your plant looks like it could be ready to be transplanted to a bigger container soon. They usually grow to the size that their container allows.

How is the air flow in your room? If they are not getting a good amount of fresh air then their growth with be affected.

Those are a couple things to consider. As to improving your growing medium - I would suggest going to an indoor gardening center as they can make some great suggestions and usually won't sell you products that can hinder your crop.

Good Luck

As to when air a have a fan that i point at the closet to air it out most the time but i dot let the wind hit the plant directly and thanks for the tips

As to when air a have a fan that i point at the closet to air it out most the time but i dot let the wind hit the plant directly and thanks for the tips

So that plant is way too small for 45 days old. It is not showing deficiency as in leaf discoloration, so that's good. It's stunted fer sure.

1. I agree about your light orientation. That light should be horizontal and it should be in a reflector so most of the emitting light is cast down toward your plant.

2. Fresh air is imperative for thriving plants. Some people get by with minimal air movement, like using small computer fans for intake, but more fresh air the better. Having a fan blowing around in the closet is a good thing. I have a fan blowing on my plants with no issues. I have a larger fan constantly sucking fresh air into my room.

3. Know your environment. Buy gadgets to measure heat and humidity. Is this closest in a colder area of the house? When you open the door is it warm in the closet?

Even with good nutrients a plant will be stunted if other areas are lacking. If possible put that bulb in a horizontal reflector and get more airflow in your room.

Check my sig line about my quiet inline fan. I have some pictures of my room. I may have more space than you but there are people to grow in smaller cabinets who still have small inline fans mounted up top to constantly pull in fresh air.

The pot size is 8 inches deep with a 6 inch diameter, the pic will show the soil and the nutes ive mixed in with it. I also tilted the cfl light on its side and made a reflector out of tin foil to help with lighting. As the the temp my whole apt is at 70 degrees and even then when the closet door opens it feels warm and kinda smells skunky.
420-magazine-mobile1446631582.jpg

420-magazine-mobile257246678.jpg

Nice! Looks like you are well on your way...

I thought about your situation again and couldn't help but think of my first trial at growing... I had an awesome set up in a basement closet. Put up mylar film on the walls, had a cool pulley system to move the lights up and down as needed as well as fans inside. Everything I tried to grow hit a certain point then just stopped and slowly died. I didn't get it!? I really thought my air circulation was fine... but it wasn't.

It turns out what I was overlooking is the plants need for FRESH air. I was blowing some air in with a fan (which did help) but nothing was sending air out. My strongest suggestion and suspicion for your stunted growth is fresh air (CO2) NOT being circulated around efficiently. CO2 gets used up and cannot be reused. It needs to be pushed out and replaced. I think you can remedy this and be friendly to your budget. I would suggest buy a small fan (clip on fan is sufficient) and placing it at the top of your closet blowing OUT. Hot air rises, so you'll want to push it out. Have a fan outside the closet close to floor level (beware of dust if you place it directly on the floor) blowing fresh cool air in. If the door must be closed, perhaps look into a computer fan. You can attach some 4" ducting to the fan and run the ducting into the room. It may sound difficult if you haven't done this before but I assure you that with a little guidance it's easy as pie. Just remember: intake should be low, out should be high.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a fan inside the room (which you have) that blows on the plants, in fact, I personally would encourage that. First let me say that STRONG wind on the plants will do harm but a nice breeze from an oscillating fan will actually help not only move air around the plant directly, but it will help strengthen the stems which need to be strengthened to support those FAT buds you plan to stack on em. Who wants to tie their buds up with string because it's too heavy anyways? :p

I truly think this will change the game for you. The plant looks fantastic. I am confident the stunted growth is from your air flow.

I wish you luck!

If you cannot move the plants closer to the light, perhaps you can stack some boxes under the plants to raise them up... then just remove the boxes as they grow closer to the light. With CFL's (I use them for veg) you want to get the plants as close as you can without getting them too hot... This is usually 7-12" only.

Just something else to consider. Why do we mention this? The far distance may cause your plant to stretch. I know you may be weary of this because your plant is stout but once your conditions are ideal and the growth speeds up, you may notice this.

This is not nearly as important as your air flow though.

I really hope this helps! I've been where you are and it seems like a lot to deal with the first time around. It gets easier, more fun and way more rewarding.

Keep it up!

Thanks and yea i usually use this set up for the fan and it doesnt hit the plants directly but just enough to where they move a bit sort of a breeze as you said.
420-magazine-mobile1165995510.jpg

Nice! Light distance looks good. Monitor the temperature now to make sure it doesn't get to hot.

I would turn that fan that's facing up move it back a bit and shoot it towards your plants to bring in that fresh CO2 rich air.

Get a fan to hang inside the top area of your closet that shoots old stale air out.

I bet if you do this, your plants will shoot up.

:thumb: My CFL light bulbs were 10 cm tops away from the plant. You can feel where the heat "stops" and then you know where to place the plant. This set up is better now though :goodjob:

I was actually going to ask as well should i look into cloning in my area growing and smoking is still illegal so its pretty hard for me to get seeds and this is the first dro seed ive gotten in a while its a super sour diesel plant

Back
Top Bottom