DIY Scrog Net - Feedback & Advice Required

HazePhase

Hello Everyone,

I will try and keep this short.
5x5x7 Grow Tent + 900 watt LED Vero29 12 Cob Fixture + 4 - 15 gallon smart pots + organic soil - from seed to finish.

I was going to build 4 individual SCROGs so they have their own SCROG per plant.
Pots are 18" x 18" and 13.5" deep (15 gallon)

3/4" PVC pipe ---- 21" length pieces x 16 pieces since I need to create 4 separate squares.
Corner pieces are 1 1/2 inches per side added to length of frame and I need 16 pieces - this will make each side 24" to create a 2 x 2 (24" x 24") square.
I will be getting pan framer screws or 1/2 inch screws to drill in about 4 inches apart along the PVC pipe.
Then I will screw my screws in and start lacing the Twine around to create 4 x 4 squares across the SCROG.
I will have legs as well to connect so will need 4 more pieces per SCROG for a total of 16 more pieces of a certain length was thinking 2 foot long legs so that it's roughly 10-11 inches above the Pot.

Questions I have:
1. how high should they be above the Smart Pot? (8-12 inches?)
2. Should I make the holes in the PVC closer than 4" apart as I know some people do 1 1/2" apart or 2" apart?
3. Is there any special type of Twine you would use?
4. Would it be easier to put two plants side by side and build two longer nets or do 4 separate in case I have to move it?
5. Anything else that I am missing?

Thank you!!

Hey Haze best of luck am following this to see if some comments happen.... I just did this in a 2.5x2.5, height can be adjusted if need be, its simple but i hope it'll work

IMG_140833.JPG

1- Sounds good. I'd say 10-12" with 8" the minimum for working room.

2- No.

3- Not really but it's nicer if it's reasonably thick so it doesn't cut the plants, and isn't so fibrous or fluffy that bits keep getting stuck in the buds.

4- Four separate. You can always join them together if you ever feel like it.

5- Can't think of anything but ask away if you do.

I made mine with aluminum shafts for supports- they stick in the pots. I can dig up pictures sometime if you like.

Hey, so I'm about two days into my first scrog but I have used 2"x2" holed scrog net, is this to small? At the moment it's working although you have to be very gentle when pulling through tips and leaves, also, another question.. What is better? Using the first 2 week stretch to fill your screen and then let them turn up? or fill the the screen in veg then flip 12/12? I'm about half full on my screen so debating what to do so any help much appreciated

Hey, so I'm about two days into my first scrog but I have used 2"x2" scrog net, is this to small? At the moment it's working although you have to be very gentle when pulling through tips and leaves, also, another question.. What is better? Using the first 2 week stretch to fill your screen and then let them turn up? or fill the the screen in veg then flip 12/12? I'm about half full on my screen so debating what to do so any help much appreciated

It would make sense to fill em out then flip, yeh? Im still researching this myself.....

I thought so but There is mixed reviews so I guess it's what ever takes your fancy, I quite like the idea of 70% full, fill on the first week of stretch then the let them turn, But Iv never done one before so was hoping for some feedback with results.

oh yeh 70% would make sense. seeing as they fill out/grow heaps when turned i guess you could still train the new growth? Hope you get the feedback you need.... Since were posting here I'm sure someone will see it and comment. 420 Mag forums are so cool :) PS I am following your grow now it looks good!

oh yeh 70% would make sense. seeing as they fill out/grow heaps when turned i guess you could still train the new growth? Hope you get the feedback you need.... Since were posting here I'm sure someone will see it and comment. 420 Mag forums are so cool :) PS I am following your grow now it looks good!

I think there are quite a lot of factors..how tall they get would be mine, I guess if height wasn't an issue you would fill your screen then flip.
Thanks man haha i noticed you have a scrog going on too so will be checking that out for sure

I normally put my screens on at the time I drag my plants from the veg room into flowering. Usually by then they've more or less filled the screen- or at least in the sense that they strearch to all corners of it, even if there are some blanks spaces. Mesh that is 3" or larger is easier to get the limbs through, and 2" is a little tight.
Most of the action is above the screen. All a screen is - is something convenient to tie to. Period. Speaking of tying- I don't tie them down exactly. Just grab a bunch of pipe cleaners from a dollar store and use those- all you need is a simple kink to hold things in place and they have a hundred uses- are instantly removable, adjustable, reusable

I went and dragged up a couple posts I made somewhere else about how I scrog my plants. Took forever to find- and I'm just going to dump it in here including whatever else I was babbling about at the time. This basically shows that you can actually scrog almost anything no matter how full your screen is- just keep tying down. This one was a little on the overgrown side of things by she yielded very well.

Excuse the size of this post and the jumbled mess! For some reason it took me forever to find this stuff and it got all messed up but I'm way too lazy to edit it and pretty everything up now. Coffee time...

Ok I looked back in time and found a thread on which I answered some scrog questions.
I'm not so sure that this is the info you really need right now - but at least it shows you one way of doing things- an example of a portable scrog screen, and how I squash a stretchy sativa into one.
I can dig up other info- just ask.

This is the link to that thread and I'll quote one of my posts from there into here.

1st time clone scrog! Looking for suggestions - Pics included

Turns out this is a quote lifted from my second journal.

I have several individual screens that I made which are each about 2' x 2'. I don't put the screens on the plants until I move them into the flowering room because, even though they're portable, it's cramped in the veg room and would be a pain to move them between the two rooms. I'm using ten gallon pots mainly and they can also be heavy when wet.
I grow the plants in veg until they're big enough to fill the screen 100% or more. I'm growing pure sativas which stretch quite a lot during flowering. I have no issues at all controlling them at all. Anytime a plant limb pokes itself up too tall I just attach it down horizontally to the screen with pipe cleaners.

Here is an example from earlier in my journal. I'll be harvesting this plant any day now and can post a pic of how it ended up, if you like.
~MALAWI~

image16632.jpeg

A Malawi I've had in veg awaiting space. She's a nice plant. I'd love to see her grow wild and free, but unfortunately I've got limited space, and limited time. I don't get to be wild and free, and so neither does she. It makes me sad, but into the scrog she goes. She's a little big for too it but I'll squash the poor thing in there. Maybe I'll let her grow out the sides a little and then cut the screen off after she's done (trying to) stretch.
I'm sorry!

image16636.jpeg

image16633.jpeg

I stick the screen in top and jam the support shafts into the pot.

image16634.jpeg

image16635.jpeg

About one minute later... I just pulled the obvious longest limbs through the screen, crudely. No point getting too fussy here. They'll sort themselves out. In another couple days I'll take a second look, and continue to rearrange things over the next few weeks.
Note to self-
Don't forget this time to cut some clones
Don't forget this time to make a note of when you put her in to flowering.

My main point is, you can let the screen get completely full before flipping to flower, and that is what I would do.

I harvested this a while ago and she was one of my best yielding plants in a long time, at about 5 ounces which is just shy of 1 GPW ( one gram produced per watt used. )

Here are a couple links from the Cap'n- the guy that led to me joining 420. Also maybe not exactly what you're asking- but definitely good reading.

How To: Bend and top your way to a 1 pound monster

And-

How vegetative growth time exponentially affects yield

~Malawi~
Here it is after 95 days flowering

IMG_46644.JPG

IMG_46657.JPG

Back
Top Bottom