DIY grow cabinet - First grow

LaidBackLeo87

so this is my first official grow, ive made attempts in the past but i never finished through, and i now have better resources to take an honest go at it. im using a marshydro 95x6, 2 60w CFLs, and 4 27w CFLs.
Screenshot_2017-03-29-22-58-29.png

basic frame using 2x2 and 1/2 in osb board
Screenshot_2017-03-29-22-58-58.png

lined with shower lining and frame beefed up a little bit for stability
Screenshot_2017-03-29-22-59-16.png

4in exhaust fan added to top
Screenshot_2017-03-29-22-59-31.png

insides caulked and wheels added to bottom for easy movement
Screenshot_2017-03-29-23-00-05.png

lights set up and plants inside (ill be ordering the adjustable light hangers off amazon, LED is kind of far away from plants about 34in, id like to bring it down to 20in)
Screenshot_2017-03-29-23-00-42.png

a little bit of light leaks but i am using a black out curtain that was lying around, draped in front it blocks all light.
if anybody spots something that could be changed to lower my temp any advice would be appreciated, because the 4in exhaust fan isnt really cutting it, within 4 hours of running the temp inside was at 82F, so ill have to figure something out maybe put another fan in top to exhaust? or flip it around and make it an intake fan?

Whats the CFM rating on the fan you have for exhaust? I think you want to replace the air at least every minute (think more than that better). No inlet fans I take it, as just looks like a vent cover from pics. Not sure on your dimensions but you can look at my first journal link in my sig to see boxes I have, I have two inlet and two exhaust computer case fans and seems to work pretty good for me, but I'm just running one LED light and not all the others and depends on temp in room you have them in too I would think.

Yeah i only have the one fan and its only 65 cfm, i wasnt sure what to expect hear wise so i only put in the one, although i was looking at a 6in 240cfm fan, my only question with that is do i make it an exhaust fan and air can just draw up from the 2x2 passive vents i have (at the bottom) or do i make it intake to pull in outside air?

Edit: dwight monk strangely enough before i joined i read through your anti journal journal and got some ideas, so thanks for the input!

I'm new at this so not a lot of help, but I would think it would be better to have air forced in and out both if you can manage it as it would be better circulation that way. Those little 120mm computer fans put out 60-75 (ratings all over the place), would take a little modifying but maybe an option for you. As if you don't have any old power adapter cords you can find them a thrift stores real cheap, and the computer fans I got online were like a 5 pack for $25 (which was good as I smoked one trying to figure out the wires as there is three and one that for speed control in computers that have that, it didn't like being a power in ;) hooked up wire and it put out a puff of smoke :rofl:).

Hahahaha this is amazing, want sure anyone would get the Charlie Day reference on pennywises journal �� you rock!

My avatar is liam Mcpoyle with his flesh colored eye patch! It has a eye drawn on because It makes people feel less uncomfortable!

Hey man I love your diy box! Maybe a 4" vent fan would work. You can mount it outside with a small carbon filter inside without taking up too much space and have passive intake going.

I'm having trouble understanding! You are using a 4" vent fan currently or a computer fan? Have you made holes for the passive intake? You can drill holes in the bottom so air comes up from the floor. Just has to be lifted off the floor a bit. Good luck.

My avatar is liam Mcpoyle with his flesh colored eye patch! It has a eye drawn on because It makes people feel less uncomfortable!

Hey man I love your diy box! Maybe a 4" vent fan would work. You can mount it outside with a small carbon filter inside without taking up too much space and have passive intake going.
Thanks man i appreciate it, it's been my project during this layoff (construction in Michigan, love my winters off). I was hoping i could get away with the one 4in i have but it's just to hot so yesterday i ordered a 6in 240cfm and I'm gonna make it an exhaust as well, i was thinking about connecting the two fans with duct and connecting it to a filter

Thanks man i appreciate it, it's been my project during this layoff (construction in Michigan, love my winters off). I was hoping i could get away with the one 4in i have but it's just to hot so yesterday i ordered a 6in 240cfm and I'm gonna make it an exhaust as well, i was thinking about connecting the two fans with duct and connecting it to a filter

Lol I edit the posts too late.

I see the problem! Change the duct booster fan for a vent fan. Add a carbon filter drill some holes for fresh air and your golden. If you don't want to drill the floor add two more of those light louvers to the front and back

I would think one 4" fan would be sufficient. Just make sure it's a vent fan not a duct booster

I always had problems when I used booster fans and not vent fans and I find they get hot and hear up incoming air

Lol I edit the posts too late.

I see the problem! Change the duct booster fan for a vent fan. Add a carbon filter drill some holes for fresh air and your golden. If you don't want to drill the floor add two more of those light louvers to the front and back

I would think one 4" fan would be sufficient. Just make sure it's a vent fan not a duct booster

I always had problems when I used booster fans and not vent fans and I find they get hot and hear up incoming air
Your a hundred percent right, booster fans just don't cut it, but I'm excited to get the new one, keep my babies at a good neutral temperature.
Edit:i have passive air holes at the bottom on each side to suck in cool air

Your a hundred percent right, booster fans just don't cut it, but I'm excited to get the new one, keep my babies at a good neutral temperature.
Edit:i have passive air holes at the bottom on each side to suck in cool air

Hey I have the same louvers on my tent. I find they affect airflow a bit and recommend 3-4 instead of 2. See what happens when you get the new fan though. If temps stay up make one more hole in the back or front. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot man, i can't wait to see these beauties get bigger, waiting to find out sex
420-magazine-mobile950502771.jpg

Looking gorgeous! To sex faster you can always take a clone, doesn't have to be rooted. I think just being in water is fine and put that to 12/12. It'll show sex and eventually die.

Are you planning on topping or training at all?

Hey I have the same louvers on my tent. I find they affect airflow a bit and recommend 3-4 instead of 2. See what happens when you get the new fan though. If temps stay up make one more hole in the back or front. Hope that helps.

Looking gorgeous! To sex faster you can always take a clone, doesn't have to be rooted. I think just being in water is fine and put that to 12/12. It'll show sex and eventually die.

Are you planning on topping or training at all?
I may have to cut another hole because i have a vent on the inside and the outside to avoid light leaks but it messes with the air flow for sure, I'll have to update this once i get the other fan installed, and Yeah i have two plants i topped both one of the plants was quick to split in two and grow but the other one still has no sign of re growth when i topped, and I've been doing a bit of bending and have some trellis net for when they get a bit taller, I'll take some pics as i am a newb and looking to learn

I may have to cut another hole because i have a vent on the inside and the outside to avoid light leaks but it messes with the air flow for sure, I'll have to update this once i get the other fan installed, and Yeah i have two plants i topped both one of the plants was quick to split in two and grow but the other one still has no sign of re growth when i topped, and I've been doing a bit of bending and have some trellis net for when they get a bit taller, I'll take some pics as i am a newb and looking to learn

I have it double sided too. I think I'm going to change it out for 10" duct. It does reduce the flow. Looking forward to the other fan and what temps drop too. Looking forward to pics of the toppings. Some genetics take better to topping then others. Are they the same strain? I'm sure it'll catch up eventually either way. Take lots of pics but it looks like you got it down so far

I have it double sided too. I think I'm going to change it out for 10" duct. It does reduce the flow. Looking forward to the other fan and what temps drop too. Looking forward to pics of the toppings. Some genetics take better to topping then others. Are they the same strain? I'm sure it'll catch up eventually either way. Take lots of pics but it looks like you got it down so far
They are just bag seeds so I'm not sure of the strain, but here's some pics
420-magazine-mobile1717700379.jpg
420-magazine-mobile909731758.jpg
I'll take some more a little later ( lunch with family) thanks for all the help, i really love this place!

Back
Top Bottom