New tent - External reservoir for easy access - Pics inside

Scrogdawg

From a design developed by member Saibot I built a fairly elaborate 4 bucket RDWC system with an external reservoir using ¾" inlet (pump) and 1.5" return (drain) lines along with a 1000 gph water pump. Saibots manifold design has several failsafe's built in to eliminate almost every chance of flooding the tent or reservoir in the event of a power or mechanical pump failure while maintaining a minimum safe water level in the buckets. All the electrical and monitoring devices were mounted to an external panel outside the tent as well. The exhaust fan ducting will be routed outside the house.
MG_95001.jpg

MG_9589.jpg

MG_95801.jpg

MG_9592.jpg

MG_9595.jpg

MG_95971.jpg

I like to have the full design specs of Saibots DWC

Scrogdog, you got a link to saibot's design?

It wasn't so much a cad drawing with dimensions, more a sketch the he came up with and we improvised on the fly with the prototype. If you're interested in building something similar, myself or Saibot would be glad to answer what questions we can to help out.

Here's the original that I built from.
double_valve_1.jpg

The bottom valve would be normally closed and only used for draining. The top valve would be open for circulating. In the event of a pump failure there would always be a water level and air in the buckets. Also the reservoir does not have to be big enough to hold the entire water volume of the system as the buckets won't drain below the height of the top valve, approx. 50L.
The 3/4" standpipe in the top of the manifold is open and would introduce air into the drain line to prevent an unlikely siphoning back to the reservoir during a pump or power failure.

Yes, (if I understand you correctly) Water is pumped through the 3/4" lines to each cell and enters the tank 6" below the top. Water returns to the res through the 1.5" lines in the bottom of each cell.

I seen an interesting thread on another site. I think if you googled "could-air-stones-be-doing-more-harm-than-good". I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

I want to have my feed lines drop in from top to I think....Still planning.

Tape measure in the planning stage makes things look they were meant to go together...LOL. No I have not glued nothing yet. Holes are cut for the Uni-Seals. Have some interesting numbers I will be putting up soon.

Good you haven't glued yet. Make sure to turn the writing on the PVC to the bottom when you do so it won't be seen. I'm a bit anal about that kind of stuff, lol. Its all about fit and finish.

How big are the totes and reservoir. Your gonna need a ton of water and nutes by the look of it.

Also wanted to mention about the height of the bypass on the return side. The diagram above shows the water level at the bottom of the return pipe. In use with the pump on that dashed line will actually run about 2/3 of the way up the pipe. ie; return line is 2/3 full when in use. This changes the water level in the totes. I had to take mine apart and cut 1" out of the vertical piping either side of the valve to get the level a bit lower than the net pots.

From a design developed by member Saibot I built a fairly elaborate 4 bucket RDWC system with an external reservoir using ¾" inlet (pump) and 1.5" return (drain) lines along with a 1000 gph water pump. Saibots manifold design has several failsafe's built in to eliminate almost every chance of flooding the tent or reservoir in the event of a power or mechanical pump failure while maintaining a minimum safe water level in the buckets. All the electrical and monitoring devices were mounted to an external panel outside the tent as well. The exhaust fan ducting will be routed outside the house.
MG_95001.jpg

MG_9589.jpg

MG_95801.jpg

MG_9592.jpg

MG_9595.jpg

MG_95971.jpg
I love the build and the way you have it set up. It's so convenient where the holes on the tent are. Makes it even more like this is how it's done. Great build you have here.

Back
Top Bottom