Need advice on how to setup this room

rct420

5x5x8 closet grow with attic door for ventilation and I have a 1000w 8in cooltube hps and 750 cfm inline fan and carbon filter and 25ft ducting . Just wanting knowing the best way to the set it up would be ? Also I am going completely organic is that a good idea ?Also i have 4 plants going right now . Only about a week old

Re: Need advice on how to setup this room.

Four plants in 25 square feet doesn't sound like too much, especially if they're strains that don't get too gigantic.
Completely organic? Why not? (I'm at the other end of the spectrum with all chemicals in jugs with hydroponic.)
When you say "attic door for ventilation" do you mean that there's one of those little 2' x 2' openings into the attic inside the closet? If so, when the attic door is closed, is there enough room under the door for enough air flow? A diagram of what you have to work with and maybe what you have planned would be helpful. It sounds like you have a good light! :)

Yes the attic is just a little 2x2 with wood covering the opening . I plan on cutting a 8" hole threw the attic door for ducting . And that's the thing I am trying to figure out how I should set everything up ? I am wondering do I only need the one fan for ventilation ? And so how many plants would u say I should grow ? This is my first indoor grow so I don't have much knowledge about what needs to be where and how much plants you need . Thanks for the reply

My guess is that you will probably need two fans: the 750 cfm to exhaust the heat from your 1000 watt lamp and another for circulation in the room.

Bathroom doors are usually cut a little shorter so as to leave a half-inch gap at the bottom of the door for air to enter. You might find that without doing something like that, your 750 cfm fan is starved for air. The other option is to put in a ventilation port in the door--possibly a light-blocking vent? Or just leave the door ajar. ;)

As for layout, I think the grow logs here would be a great resource for ideas. Some random thoughts: Do you have enough electrical power in the room? Position of the power strip (so it doesn't get blocked when your plants get big). Some kind of protection on the floor for water inevitable water spills. Reflectors or white paint on walls.

What strains are you thinking about growing?

A 5x5 room with a 1000 watt light and venting into the attic sounds like it could be an awesome setup!

I have a little pool for all the spills and I am not sure exactly what strand but I know they are femenized and there are no outlets in the closet I have . I have one nice power strip in there now for fan and stuff but how should I power the light ? Extension cord with one plug or ?

A 1000-watt light draws a lot of current--over half of what's available on a typical 15-amp circuit. You'll want to use a stout extension cord with heavy gauge wire, especially if you're running the cord any distance. That will help to keep the cord cool and avoid wasting energy. You will probably want to run the power straight from the outlet to the light and not daisy-chain through the power strip...

Again, if you just surf around through the various grow logs you can learn a lot.

If you haven't checked them out already, these forums seem right up your alley. ;)

Cabinet, Closet, and Grow Room Setup

Grow Lighting

If you post a drawing of what you have planned and ask for comments you'll get more responses than just asking "What should I do?"

What do u mean by a stout extension cord ? I tried looking it up and nothing comes up to that. I have a orange 50ft extension cord ? Or do I need a heavier gauge one ? Just don't know what stout means lol

Heavy guage not a little rinkey dink thin cord it puts too much strain and heat. Thats what I believe he meant

Yeah, exactly. You can get extension cords that have thin or thick wire. For short lengths and low wattage, 18 gauge wire is fine, but when you're running 1000 watts and especially if the cord is long, you want thicker wire, like 14 or 12 gauge. The cord will stay cooler and more of the power will make it to your plant.

Thank you guys so I have the extension cord already . What type of light should I be using on my seedlings and threw veg ? I am assuming not the 1000w hps ?

What type of light should I be using on my seedlings and threw veg ? I am assuming not the 1000w hps ?

Well of course your big gun will do the job, but why pay a few bucks a day for electricity and age your bulb when you don't need to?

There are so many good options for light sources these days. I'm cheap so I tend to use what I have around. A 4' fluorescent shop light might be enough. Or CFLs, LED light bulbs, LED grow lights... or some combination.

Here's another good resource:

Joys of Growing

Back
Top Bottom