Ventilation help

qrow

Hi I have a 3 by 3 by 5 foot grow room and was wondering if a 100 cfm inline duct booster fan with a carbon filter rated for 200 cfms would be ok?

First time poster, being lurking a bit. I have a smaller setup at 2x2x5 with a 100cfm using a 600watt LED. I find it works ok, but will likely upgrade to a 4" 175 cfm fan.

I struggled with keeping the temp down, a 250 MH shot the temp of the tank to 95 degrees and that is with a ambient temp of 75degrees. Switched to LED and the temp hovered around the high 80's. I did find an unusual phenomenon and perhaps someone can explain. If I turn OFF the small 6" fan I have in the tent that helps interior circulation I found the temp DROPPED by five degrees.

Hi I have a 3 by 3 by 5 foot grow room and was wondering if a 100 cfm inline duct booster fan with a carbon filter rated for 200 cfms would be ok?
Yes it will. Those ratings are a maximum rating so that you don't use too large of a fan with a smaller filter and have the fan struggle and potentially overheat. Your tent is only 45 cubic feet. Your fan will replace the air in there twice a minute......up to, lol. Your 200 cfm filter is capable of that x 2.

The inline booster fans are quite noisy but a good choice if noise isn't an issue. I had a buddy explain " when you buy good quality items, they've been used and tested by 100s of growers and left running for years at a time". If your inline fan is a home Depot or the like jobby, might wanna think about a manufacturer like Canfan or something. Fans are also dimmable to help keep them quiet, just make sure you buy a FAN dimmer as not all will work. As smell increases, so can the speed of the fan this way.

First time poster, being lurking a bit. I have a smaller setup at 2x2x5 with a 100cfm using a 600watt LED. I find it works ok, but will likely upgrade to a 4" 175 cfm fan.

I struggled with keeping the temp down, a 250 MH shot the temp of the tank to 95 degrees and that is with a ambient temp of 75degrees. Switched to LED and the temp hovered around the high 80's. I did find an unusual phenomenon and perhaps someone can explain. If I turn OFF the small 6" fan I have in the tent that helps interior circulation I found the temp DROPPED by five degrees.
That'll depend on the fan, light and thermometer location. And maybe you've had the door open a couple of seconds before checking it. High is is still a bit warm. Do you have ac? Are any of the vents open in your tent to allow outside air in? Do you have a journal?

No journal, wish I had. First time grow. With respect to the ventilation I have played around with fan placement, thermometer and the result is the same. If I have any internal circulation the temp will rise another 3-4 degrees. I suspect the reason is due to the filter fan is not efficient enough or more cfm is required.

It's never to late to start a journal, just Coles Notes the first few months lol. Maybe look into CO2?

It's never to late to start a journal, just Coles Notes the first few months lol. Maybe look into CO2?

Next time for the Journal.

Was blowing some smoke in the tent so I could see what is going on. The cheap inline fan just can't keep up. It looks like it struggles to remove the heat from the top of the tent, any internal circulation mixes all the cold and warm areas of the tent and it falls behind. My ambient temperature is never more than 80, and more so around 75-78 in the summer. The internal temp of the temp is always about 5-6 degrees more than outside the temp, turning on the internal circulation and it adds another 3-4 degrees. Was hoping to keep the same temp in my tent. If I shut off the lighting in the temp the tent drops to the same temperature as outside the temp in about 5 minutes.

If you can swing it, CanFan is a great replacement fan. Make sure you buy a dimmable fan controller for it though as at full speed it can be noisy as well. Good thing is, it'll never ever die on you. Also, maybe keep the fan outside the tent to prevent overheating with the motor giving off heat in your grow space.

The current fan is a 95 CFM 4" duct fan. More than likely overrated, think I will purchase a good 4" fan and use a motor controller like you suggest.

Looks like the OP came and went... Maybe they'll come back...
I don't have a setup using this fan but feel for the price of a booster fan, this fan would be a much better choice.... It's 110 volt motor has sealed ball bearings... Thermocool 110 VAC Equipment Cooling Fan 172 x 51mm Ball Bearing 176 CFM
Two of these in a push-pull configuration would work for a smaller tent or box.. A speed controller could be added if needed...
For less than $4.00 there's a dual 110/120 power cord available.. Cooling Fan Dual 45 Degree Power Cord 6 ft.

Under $50.00 for everything + shipping $6.95

It's as about the cooling and air exchange as it is about durability . Can fan fans have been running in growers tents for years. Buy quality just once.

Boosters and in line fans are fine, and I've seen them work for people. They're generally noisier, less durable and much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom