First indoor grow - Any advice?

DEW73

Hello all, I have been an outdoor organic guy for almost 20 years and I am about to give indoor a go (after much debate with the wife). Just looking for a little advice, tips, tricks, etc.

I have built a cabinet that is 30x48 and it is 6 feet tall. My TastyLED T4 arrived a couple of days ago and the 6 inch vortex s inline fan and carbon filter should be here on Tuesday. I have selected 00 seeds Northern Lights as my first run (forgiving, low odor, and decent yield). I plan on using a coco, perlite, rice hull mix as my growing medium. I am thinking about a modified Lucas formula the first run to get everything dialed in and then move it to organics later down the road. I will use RO water, I have my ph and ec pens, and some calmag for the RO water. I still need to purchase a temp/humidity gauge and I have a dehumidifier if the basement gets too damp.

Am I missing anything? Any advice? Thanks in advance

Re: First INDOOR grow, any advice?

Thanks! I'm getting too old to carry water, fight snakes, deer, and ticks. It will be nice to walk downstairs and check on my girls. I believe I will start a journal to document my process

Hey Dew! :welcome: Wow - 20 years outdoor organic?! I hope to share information with you and learn some of your ways. I just started my first indoor grow as well! Mine is a 48 x 48 and is 6 feet tall as well. I have two Mars Hydro reflector 144 LEDS running - 6" carbon filter and fan. Started from seed two Grand Daddy Purple's and two CheeseDawg's. Check out my journal here! I'm attempting to stay as organic as possible - using Roots Organics Formula 707 soil and their nutes.

:morenutes:

I'm currently reading up on different soil amendments to hopefully rid the nute additives in whole. Seems like your indoor set up is near complete- looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Sorry I forgot to mention that two wall mount 16 inch oscillating fans have been purchased

Good luck on your first indoor grow Farmer!! Yep 20 years ago I dug a hole and put 2 trout in the bottom with some bone meal and covered it up for 6 weeks. Put a bag seed that I sprouted in and watered until October. I was hooked from that point on. I have a Super Lemon Haze, Blue Dream, and a Fruit Punch outdoors right now in a soil mix that I amend the hell out of and cook in 2 big trashcans for 5 weeks before use. I'm excited about giving indoor a go

G,Day,DEW73. You may want a speed controller for your inline fan,how much noise does your vortex make? could the noise bother you? could it be heard by a neighbor? will this be a stealth type grow area? what type of climate do you live in? will you need to heat the grow space? I have experience growing in a confined area. My grow space is Width 1150mm-Depth 560mm-Height 2.4mts. I find it easier to grow only "Autoflowers" One carefully selected plant fills the space comfortably. When it`s time for flowering i tie the branches down to each side (left and right) it allows most of the buds to get plenty of light during flowering. This works well for me. Choose your strains carefully. You will need to give plenty of thought into the dynamics of your grow space,how will you heat/cool your space? Watering ?Where do you source your water? You will be using quite a bit. Do you also have a garden around your house ? if so you will have to be very careful about bringing insects and other things into your grow space ! These are just a few of the things that will need your consideration,i dare say you get the picture ?......Good luck DEW73, i look forward to your first grow indoors,i am about 3-4 weeks away from harvesting a White Widow by Seedsman and i am extremely happy with the grow. I am already planning the next !....

I purchased a Dial-a-temp fan controller when I got the fan. Grow will be in my basement where the temp sits around 70 in summer and 65 in the winter. I'm not worried too much about neighbors, they have a key to my house but I rekeyed the doors into my grow area to a different key from rest of the house. I do have 6 monster tomato plants on my deck and a raised bed with broccoli and peppers in the back. I think I will be ok with my strain choice, I chose it because of its size, odor, yield, and good levels of CBD. If they get unruly I can prune and tie them down.

Good luck on your first indoor grow Farmer!! Yep 20 years ago I dug a hole and put 2 trout in the bottom with some bone meal and covered it up for 6 weeks. Put a bag seed that I sprouted in and watered until October. I was hooked from that point on. I have a Super Lemon Haze, Blue Dream, and a Fruit Punch outdoors right now in a soil mix that I amend the hell out of and cook in 2 big trashcans for 5 weeks before use. I'm excited about giving indoor a go

Thanks, Dew! Wow, pretty rad. Sounds like a darn good first mixture to work with. And I must say, good choices on the current strains. Have you had Fruit Bowl by chance? I came across some excellent cured Fruit Bowl.

I'm curious- what was your best way to combat fungus gnats naturally? There are so many methods out there.

I use Neem oil regularly and I put some diatomaceous earth in my soil mix and do a little top dressing with the DE. You can do a soil drench with Neem oil to get the larvae. I have a buddy that has used peroxide in the past

i got no experience with coco, but ive done on plagron batmix, needs only nutes after first 4-6weeks!

also for the odor, try pineapple express, very smooth low odor kinda exotic!

for pots id go for a big bag or an airpot for sure! i use an airpot and its kinda easy to use with good airholes and drainage + easy to remove the pot from ur plants without damage.

lights - +- 30cm from ur plants should be fine, check ur hand under the lamp if it gets kinda warm for ur hand put it higher, some easyrolls will be easy use with mountainclimber hooks so its easy to detach the lights and reposition/remove in a hurry (u never know)

for nutes i use plagron terrabloom,terragrow,green sensation and thats about it.

put ur fingers in soil to check if ur soil is still moist, if moist ur fine, if drying out rewater.

im a newer grower and im doing pretty good actually, if u have 20 years of experience ull make it trough alive no worrys !

i also used string to spread my plants out attached to some plant support i put around the edge of my pot before i start!

i do this so my plant widens up since ur light wont be going up or down like the sun would and give light to diffirent sections, so ull have ur light shine down its best to make ur plant grow outside ! i LST (bind the new parts of the plant since theyr flexible) every 2 days or so, and they will rocket :D

also about the posts above with the insects and such, u should check ur plant daily as ur doing lst every 2 days. check for insects and such in ur plants and corners of ur growroom. ive been putting mine out with good weather and havent faced anything harmfull yet, i did remove them very fast when i spot them shouldnt be that big of a problem.
perhaps try a growtent like budbox to fit into you space? will be cleaner for sure !
goodluck ! btw add some pics of ur setup and such ! :)

Sweet-I keep being referred to Neem. Yea, peroxide does it too - good killer of powder mildew as well if needed. I'm going with you on this one and will be doing further research into the Neem and diatomaceous earth. The larvae are the important ones to eradicate cause those are causing the most damage to the root structure. Thanks again Dew.

All Neem is not created equal, there are some cheaper Neem products out there but they typically have a lower concentration. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom