Area: 6'x12'

Option: 1
2 - 1000 Watt lights
Option: 2
1- 1000 Watt light with a light mover
Option: 3
2 - 1000 Watt lights with a light mover:adore:

Re: 2 - 1000 Watts Or 1 Light Mover???

2 1k's. Movers would be great on them, but you can get away without it. As long as you stay within the 6x6 area under the light with your plants. If you go too high, the outside may need the mover to get even growth. RF has a mover, he can fill you in.

It is a debate me and a friend are having. I figured that a 1k on a mover would be the same as 2 - 1k's not moving.

well a 1k on a mover is almost as good as 2K's not moving. the only way the 1 k moving is lacking is that at some point it's lumens are cut in half when the light is furthest away and the center plants gain the most benefit. The 2 lights will cover the same space with better penetration as the lumens stay the same all over. But I had to go with the last option you offered. It was 2 1k lights on a mover. That will be the best.
What type of mover matters as well. Rail or circle?

first a couple of questions? do you already own these lights? or are you shopping around? Next, how much reading on light usage have you done? There is some great info out there on lighting and I would suggest reading as much as you can. Using some of the lower wattage set ups with more lights(at least four), a lighting controller, and playing with alternating which lights are on and off at what times, can significantly increase yield and cut down on engery costs over the long run. Initially it will be very costly to set up, however in the long run, you'll pay for the set up in energy savings and yield both.

Good luck,

13ongon247:bong:

How's riverside these days? I haven't been back there is many many years ;-)

I agree with the lower wattage and greater numbers. It offers flexibility to the grow, and that can't be a bad thing, as well as the ballasts are more efficient themselves at lower wattages. Combined with the fact that you can lower or raise them by themselves will help out with those pesky uneven growers.

Thanks Boss, riverside's not bad at all so far. A lot more people it seems to me, then last I was in the Inland Empire. I've just returned from a stint in New England. I learned quite a bit from some of the good ol' boys up in Vermont and other locals.

One more benefit of a low wattage multi-light set up, is that it eliminates the need for a light mover at all. Especially in the space you've just described. They also eat electricity, in addition to your lights.

If you're intent on using those 1k watt lights, whether it be one or two, there is always the option of putting any tables you have on casters and being able to move the tables under the lights. They can also be rotated to promote even growth among your girls. This said without knowing what kind of time you are able to dedicate to watching over your babies, I do realize that not all of us have the luxury of being able to hover over them like a mother hen.

Four 400w lights with a controller, will eat up about 20% less electricity that two 1k watt lights will eat. Add light movers, and depending upon the motors moving the lights, you'll add that much more draw of power.

Another thing to look very closely at is what the circuit that these lights will be running on is rated at. For two 1k watt lights on the same circuit it had better be at least 30amp service. If not you're playing with fire, literally. I couldn't imagine a worse nightmare then the loss of my house, my grow and my freedom all in one shot.

You'll need to gather as much info as you can, PLEASE. I can't stress this enough. Your safety and freedom depend on it at this point.

I can get a great deal on 2 - 1k HPS, 1 - 1K MH, and 1 - 400 MH. I'm talking the whole 9 yards. I guess I could buy them for the deal and sell what I don't need to pay for a few things??? I'm really in NO rush and no babies at this time. The ballasts are wired for 220V for less amps and I can build my own 220V timer box. I can provide the link for the timer if anyone needs. I would add onto it and make it fit my needs but it's a start.
Thanks for the concern about my safety though bongon247.

No more screwing around...:bongrip: I bought the light deal today!!!:Rasta:

I'll have to figue out if I want to use what I have or if I want to go through the trouble of selling them and buying new ballasts???

When I decide I'll let you know and post pics.:cheesygrinsmiley:

Heck yeah man,

Decisivness wins out. I'm looking forward checking out your set up.

Well I've been busy. I'll have to move this to the Grow Journals. I have most everything already set-up and I'll get some pics up soon. Get some TP ready because you guys (and girls) are going to shit when you see what all I got for a few hundred bucks ($300.00). I decided to use what I got and GO 4 IT!!! No time to screw around with selling and buying. Think I'll be starting with some bag seed to get the hang of everything again. It's not my first grow but it's been awhile. Once I do get the hang of things then I'll spend the money for the GOOD stuff. I would explain everything and how it's set up but that would take too long and the pics will show you anyway. Thanks again.

Speaking of selling excesses....Is there anything resembling a classified section for surplus equipment and such? I know my next grow will be on a budget and there is nothing like heads taking care of heads.

13ongon247

Bongon247 - Please no classifieds here man. Although it seems it would be great, I think it would only cause problems. Right now we can all get together and talk. When you involve MONEY then it all goes to shit. Let's leave the buying used to ebay and craigslist. Just my thoughts.

Cool cool,:adore:

I see how things could possibly go bad in that case. And can certainly appreciate not buying trouble, especially from fellow forum members.

I did figure I would ask though.

Back
Top Bottom