Thread: HID Noise

Post Thanks / Like

HID Noise

Greetings,

I'm planning on putting a small grow cab in my bedroom. In some other threads I've already mentioned this and asked some questions but now a new issue has been brought to my attention. Noise. I expect some noise, fans, ect, but I had no idea how noisy a 400 watt HID ballast can be!

Initially, to make things easier, I was simply going to have my ballast sitting outside the cab on the top. I don't know if I can sleep though all that. So I thought about putting the ballast inside the cab at the top maybe, but that's just extra heat, but I think I have enough ventilation.

Now should putting the ballast inside prove to be unworkable or just not that effective, what are my other options for sound proofing my ballast? I can't afford a digital! I was thinking of building another 'box' large enough to hold the ballast out of thick styro (wood base), put a PC fan to move the air.. Think something like that would work? I would make it over sized so there would be several inches clearance at least on all sides of the ballast.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: HID Noise

hhhmmm...I can barely hear my 1000watt HPS. If your 400 is loud enough to keep you awake I'd guess that something isn't right with it. Is it new or used?

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't mine. I was over at a friends place and he's got a green house (unfortunatly he's not 420 friendly). He's got a mixed lot of lights for various things and I asked about the 400 and he turned it on and showed it to me.

I haven't purchased my light yet.. I'm swinging back and forth between a MH and a HPS. I like my buds dense and tight so I'm starting to look closer at a 400 watt MH.

Post Thanks / Like

Self contained light, everything in the hood?
    somethin' is goin' out but may take months to die

or remote ballast?
    bulb maybe loose, they expand and contract, don't ya' know

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, a humming ballast is a product of capacitors that are on their last legs. The sound you hear is the increased electrical resistance due to the failing capacitor. A new system should not do this.

Also, if you want dense compact buds you want the HPS not the MH.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20 year old 250W MH w/ integral ballast that has always hummed rather loudly.