Help with crawl space grow

NoLogo

hi guys,

so background on me first, ive had 2 grows before both under regular cfl bulbs both were somewhat successful, dwc in a converted chest of drawers and then in a dresser bought from canadian tire. im currently using a crawl space on the top floor of my house to grow another batch under cfls. 1 month from harvest right now, but im planning for my next grow in advance. i will post pictures of the space tomorrow for clarifications, but here are 2 diagrams of the space i need to utilize.

grow_space_diagram.JPG

there are two of these areas either side of the bedroom, and then another two either side of the spare bedroom, 3 of the 4 are being used to store christmas crap and other junk, but this 1 i cleaned out for me :ganjamon:

the_box.JPG

this is what i picture the grow box to be so far.

the crawl space has a half size door to let you in, and the 4 feet of space to the right of the door i intend to use (does not include the door), basically i want to have as large of a grow box as i can within the space.

this is going to mean very low to the ground plants, you can see by the diagram i have a few things i plan on doing, such as buying and using t5 lights since heat could be an issue in these spaces. in my current cfl grow, temps are 80 degree under 8 cfl lights with 1 oscillating fan going, no venting outside on an average day, hotter days mean temps climb.

so im thinking that a scrog will probably be needed here to help keep the hight down, and im looking for a low profile grow medium, the dwc bucket i use now is too tall to be considered since t5 lights are going to reduce height even more. would a soil grow in wide but shallow pots be a good idea?

any ideas or input or suggestions of any kind would be appreciated.

i plan on 3 or 4 plants, but there is no limit other than my wallet and space. as for the attic, there is none, there is the crawl space and then the bedroom it is next to, i could vent out to the adjacent crawl space i suppose, at least then the air isnt heating up the same room

so as promised here are the actual photos and not just crappy paint drawings

view from the bedroom of the half door

picresized_th_1211507519_100_0090.jpg

the half door open

picresized_th_1211507670_100_0091.jpg

to the left of the door, my supplies

picresized_th_1211507722_100_0092.jpg

to the right of the door, the grow space (sorry about the bad angles, not much room to get a good shot in there)

picresized_th_1211507768_100_0093.jpg

picresized_th_1211507933_100_0095.jpg

and the temps this morning (30 minutes after lights on)

picresized_th_1211507832_100_0094.jpg

i know the current grow is oh so crappy, i havnt paid as much attention as i should to it and some of them grew into the lights and burnt themselves, and 1 set of lights fell down on a plant, which is why im looking to upgrade my setup for next time.

thanks for all your suggestions and input in advance

I would use the LST technique to keep the plants short. You wouldn't want to outgrow your space and getting tall plants in and out through that half door will be difficult.

thanks guys. the next grow is scheduled to start end of september since this one has a month to go and i go on vacation to europe mid september, my trip includes a 2 night stop in amsterdam so i plan on smoking a bunch of different weeds and mailing myself some seeds back (from another country of course) once i decide which strain i liked the best

There are shelves on special at my local canadian tire for $14.99 and i should be able to squeeze 2 side by side in my crawl space (removing the middle shelf), then i will have a metal frame to work with, so all i would need to do is figure out how i want try and air/light seal it and the top shelf can be used to hang my lights and carbon filter.

Back
Top Bottom