Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's my plan (closet setup)

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's my plan (closet setup)

we need some pics stoney! i have grown in closets bought from hardware stores before and they can be tricky to make light proof especially at the door, i saw this recently and thought it was a great idea for light sealing the front of a closet, something i will keep in mind for next time i try it:

oh i also found with cfls they can burn your plants really easily, so make sure to keep a good couple inches between them and the plants and check often, burnt many a plant on them lol
    Last edited by Medical Marijuana; 06-08-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: link to other cannabis site removed

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got pics ready to upload! But I think there's something wrong? They are JPEG under 450kb and a keep getting a message saying " (): Sorry, this image type is not supported yet. "

Can anyone else comfirm this? What I'll try & do is upload them to an ftp server and post the photos in the thread.

Fallen Cannabis Warrior Medical Marijuana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This will help you with your image loading problems. http://www.420magazine.com/forums/pl...st-photos.html
    Last edited by Keith Lake; 02-15-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: fixed link

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Geoff,
    Can I recommend as a great all purpose customisable lamp a 600 watt HPS. You can get a great outcome from less that a thousand watts, with more yield that a single 400 watt HPS.
    As for the veg stage, the best fluro tubes are purple grow lamps like are used in aquariums. They are readily available at most hydro shops and cost about $10 for a three foot lamp. They are great, they can be plugged into a standard roof fluro socket, so you can get them cheap recycled or just rip one out of a demolition site. If your cupboard is big enough, you could mount the fluros on the walls and the lamp on the roof.
    Also, computer fans are shite. professional hydro fans can move 300 litres of air a second or more. My carbon filter moved 300 litres through a bathroom fan sized outlet. My non-filter fan of the same size moved 750 litres a second. A computer fan will move about 2. Air flow / carbon dioxide flow and heat regulation are critical to fine pot, and a fan could well be one of your best investments.

Another way to keep it cheap indoor is to use soil and a liquid supplement...

Stay well,
    Grandma.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I resized the pics using windows paint. The files are now 63kb instead of 400kb. No problem uploading

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Greenacres, I've been using MG 1/2 strength mix with watering for most of the plants life. But a few weeks ago I dosed her with a double-strength mix for 2 maybe 3 feedings over the course of a month! Very big mistake! I assume the burnt tips on the leaves are a result of nute-burn. I've flushed the medium since and all new growth seems fine. Now I'm going back to using half-strength mixes with each watering, which should be less often than before (which was weekly .. too much) because now I'm using the wet/dry watering method (thanks Moose). Next week I may even invest in some nice organic high P nutes for her :-) I'm on a very limited income at the moment, so I can only spend up to around $30-$50 each fortnight on supplies.

Grandma, further down the track I'd love to get some MH and HPS cranking! But I simply cannot afford the upfront costs of buying any large lamps at the moment. Now mind you, I haven't actually priced what a 400W HPS would cost me upfront, even second-hand, but I can guess it would be more than AUS$30. The computer fans are only to supplement the next few weeks until I can upgrade to some nice bigger ones :-) I feel that a couple of 4" computer fans providing minimal ventilation are better than no fans at all, until I get the cash together for larger ones.

Moose, thank you as always mate. I used windows paint to resize the photos this morning and I had no problems uploading and displaying what you see above this post.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Closet

Lighting Rig

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green acres View Post
    i have used those purple lights before and i felt they sucked, but thats just my opinion they may have worked for you. and i`m curious to know what math you used to get your air flow numbers in liters when most fans and messurements are cfm. isn`t liters used to measure liquid and air cubic feet per minute? (cfm). just curious.

liters per second (minute / hour) is the metric version of flow. 300 lps - 635.664 cfm

I too would just opt for the cool white version of a fluorescent tube in lieu of the purple "grow lamps". The standard fluorescent tubes work great if you keep them about 3" from the top of the plant.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I too currently use white fluorescents in a Phototron unit and have great vegetative growth, but I'm going to put it under a 400 watt HPS to bulk out the flowers. Stony Geoff's plants look great, but in my experience, buds won't puff out to full potential. But for a unit that costs $30 to set up, and and produces possibly enough for one or two light smokers is the kind of thing that keeps the country running.

Also, if you don't have the heat from a HPS or MH, (and a re growing in soil) then you probably don't need to buy another fan.

re: LPS/CFM, Google calculator can convert litres per second to cubic feet per minute in the format:
    "cubic feet per minute to liters per second" =
    1 (cubic feet) per minute = 0.47 liters per second

so

500 ((cubic feet) per minute) = 235.97 liters per second.

Keep well,
    Grandma.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first grow for the last three years. I have used soil and perlite with a bit of hydroton for my medium. I also have parsley growing in their, but I guess I'm just showing my grandma status...
    My friend who gave me the tron swears that he got great buds from it. It's looking pretty good so far. The reason that it is so bushy is because I turned the light to 12/12 to sex the plant. This should make budding very prompt when I turn the light back to 12/12 again soon.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting little box grandma :-) How old is she?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 questions for anyone who feels they can answer them :-)

Firstly:
    My lighting and my ventilation fans are both running on a 12/12 timer. So my fans shut off every night at 8pm for 12 hours along with the lights. Should I connect the fans up separately so they are running 24 hours a day? I figured I could only have the fans running while the lights were operating because when the lights aren't switched on the plants aren't photosynthesising so why should they need the extra air-flow?

And Second:
    This morning I noticed the leaves around all the big colas (the ones closest to the flowers) are getting really shiny and reflective under the light. I'm not sure if this is because all the little trichs that are forming (and have been forming for a few weeks now) or if this is the resinous layer appearing on the leaves themselves, for protection. My grow area doesn't have a humidity reading as of yet, but it's really quite dry I can tell you, being a closet inside a house in a room, with no ventilation coming from outside.

Ok I'll see if I can borrow my ex-girlfriends digital camera again so I can upload some pics. My mobile-phone camera works fine, but is of poor quality and cannot seem to send photos to my email inbox (according to the service provider I shouldn't have any problems doing this, but whatever..)

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I flushed a few weeks ago and about the top almost inch I'd say has dried up. She doesn't look thirsty, but I reckon I'll give maybe 1L of water with 1/4 strength nutes and see how she goes. And I'll try and track down another double-adaptor so I can leave the fans on 24/7

Cheers green acres :-)

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

90% of the leaves are just kinda flat. The bigger fan leaves near the bottom are drooping, pretty much all the leaves just sort of jutting out flat if that makes sense, and maybe 2 or 3 sets of leaves right at the very top of the plant are angled slightly up towards the light.

Just thought I would mention I'm using a bloom fert 20,11,9 is this too high in Nitrogen for flowering? Should I perhaps try and switch to a fert which is more in the 5,10,5 range?

edit: Actually now I'm looking closer there are quite a few leaves that seem to be "drooping" IMO

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast