Here's my plan (closet setup)

StonyGeoff

Ok i've had to move my lady indoors now as it's winter and she's not getting enough light, plus the temperature is dropping and I dont want her to die!

Here's my plan:
I go out and buy a 2nd-hand closet or wardrobe and line it with aluminum foil, that'll get me started. Next I grab a 3x set of cool-white fluro bulbs, the curly kind, the highest wattage I can find. I'll create a light setup similar to that i've seen in 1 of Mooses grow setups, with the 3 bulbs in a multi-directional way on 45 degree angles or something. I'll put the closet next to a window so I'll can 2 separate tubes running from the side of the closet where I'll make 2 holes, and have them connected to the window for fresh intake and exhaust.
Now I'm not sure what sort of tubing to get or where to look, but I plan to have 2 computer fans build into the side of the closet, 1 near the top and 1 near the bottom (which should be intake and which should be exhaust?)
If I find any leaks or cracks in the closet I plan to seal them with some sort of gel-type hardening sealant, and the bigger ones I'll just cover with plywood perhaps. So far sound good?
Oh, and I'll just have the light setup for now dangling from a hook at the top of the closet and have it on string so I can raise it as needed.

Once I get started I'll post some photos of my equipment and how I set everything up. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts? Moose I know you'll have something to say :smokin:

Cheers!
:peace:

depending on the size of the wardrobe you might be able to get MH and HPS in there, though venting will have to be installed but that is nothing more than a few fans or a good hood that can vent through the wardrobe. To answer your question before MH stands for Metal Halide, blue spectrum for vege, and HPS is High Pressure Sodium, red spectrum for flowering. You can get interchangeable MH and HPS, using these lights will increase your yield for sure and the electricity cost is minimal. Here in Michigan I got a $10 spike in my electric bill using a 400w HPS during my flower. From the sounds of your 2nd hand wardrobe, considering you plan on venting with computer fans its not very big, you would probably be using a 250w light, but if you are prepared to invest a little more and buy a cooltube or good venting hood you could probably run a 400..... What are the dimensions of the wardrobe?

Mate I'd love to get MH and HPS in there, but at this stage I really cannot afford it. After going through rehab for my alcoholism (one of the wisest decisions I've made to date) I will now have a lot more money in the bank lol now that I'm not spending $100+ pw on booze. My plan is to start cheap, and work my way up as money allows :)
Get this, I started my lady from seed on an 8W fluro tube, had her on a single 75W (equivilent) CFL for veg, and put her outdoors after forcing her to flower.

To answer your question on the wardrobe size at this stage I'm unsure. I'm going op-shopping tomorrow and I'll probably pick one up on Tues next week (payday). I aiming for interior dimensions of around 3'x4'x6' would suit me nicely I think :)

Cheers for your reply mate!

Good Morning 420!

Thanks to you both for your replies :) I'm getting excited about getting started on building this "welfare man's wardrobe setup" or "closet cultivation on centrelink" ;-)
I promise I will start a grow journal once I have got the closet home and a roll of aluminum foil. And to correct my first post, the multi-directional CFL's were right outta "Boss's Poor Mans Grow" and I was talking about the splitters he used. Top marks there Boss! I like your style.

And ToasterPet, I think the link in your sig is no longer working.. This link worked fine for me:
Toaster Small Grow.
(starts reading page 1 of ToasterPets grow journal)
:nomo:

And ToasterPet, I think the link in your sig is no longer working.. This link worked fine for me:
Toaster Small Grow.
(starts reading page 1 of ToasterPets grow journal)
:nomo:

Yup, thats the grow, I wouldn't call it a journal so much as a "me stumbling through, while reading everything I can" grow. But I'm starting to see that you can get a decent grow using a cabinet. Best of luck to you and you girls, I'll be watching this grow, cant wait to see what you get going:ganjamon::yummy:

I love this community. Everyone so far has been so modest (I'm talking about you this time Toaster) & polite lol. As well as just generally nice & full of wisdom! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Toaster I'll be wathching yours aswell :yummy:
Boss, still only part-way through reading "poor mans grow" I'm on page 14 today. I only get the chance to read a few pages per day.. ah well.. maybe by christmas :laughtwo:

And toaster, thanks! I cant wait to get started! :rollit:

Had to move my girl inside today. The weather predicted temps getting as low as 5* Celcius over the next few days!!! I wont be picking up my new wardrobe till Tuesday so I've just got her on a 12/12 timer under a single 75W (equivilent) warm-white CFL. It's set to come on at 8AM, off at 8PM. I brought her inside at about 5pm today, and it was very cloudy and looked as if a storm was coming later tonight..

Now the funny (and interesting) thing about moving her inside is this: Only under a SINGLE warm-white CFL, equivilent to 75W for 3 hours (from 5pm to 8pm) I've seen more growth than I've seen in 5-7 days of being outside!!
The days here have been getting much shorter lately, I think we're on 10 hours days as we've just hit Winter... grr. And most of her flowers (hairs) have been turning brown (as if maturing, ready for harvest) right. Now tonight, I've seen every flower on her shoot out with up to 1.5cm long pure-white hairs, in only 3 hours!! Wow!

Sorry I cant upload any photos :( I really am sorry. I wish I could everyone could see what I mean, it's so hard to describe what I saw, and my amazement lol. I simply cant wait till Tuesday :-D I'm going to pick up a nice big box for her, probably about 2.5'x3.5'x5.5' and 4 brand new 100W warm CFLs. And a couple of fans for ventilation, which I really cant afford but I KNOW I need! And that'll probably be it for this fortnight. Damn :p lol

:cheesygrinsmiley:

we need some pics stoney! i have grown in closets bought from hardware stores before and they can be tricky to make light proof especially at the door, i saw this recently and thought it was a great idea for light sealing the front of a closet, something i will keep in mind for next time i try it:

oh i also found with cfls they can burn your plants really easily, so make sure to keep a good couple inches between them and the plants and check often, burnt many a plant on them lol

Hi Geoff,
Can I recommend as a great all purpose customisable lamp a 600 watt HPS. You can get a great outcome from less that a thousand watts, with more yield that a single 400 watt HPS.
As for the veg stage, the best fluro tubes are purple grow lamps like are used in aquariums. They are readily available at most hydro shops and cost about $10 for a three foot lamp. They are great, they can be plugged into a standard roof fluro socket, so you can get them cheap recycled or just rip one out of a demolition site. If your cupboard is big enough, you could mount the fluros on the walls and the lamp on the roof.
Also, computer fans are shite. professional hydro fans can move 300 litres of air a second or more. My carbon filter moved 300 litres through a bathroom fan sized outlet. My non-filter fan of the same size moved 750 litres a second. A computer fan will move about 2. Air flow / carbon dioxide flow and heat regulation are critical to fine pot, and a fan could well be one of your best investments.

Another way to keep it cheap indoor is to use soil and a liquid supplement...

Stay well,
Grandma.

DSC00284.JPG

Ok I resized the pics using windows paint. The files are now 63kb instead of 400kb. No problem uploading :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom