Cheap replacement for mylar!(?)

Tokist

so i was talkin to my construction worker buddy the other day about the costs of mylar. i told him what i needed it for (lighting) and he told me that it was hella expensive. but he brought to my attention the lays potato chip bag sitting on the coffee table.

he reminded me that the inside of most potato chip bags are really shiney!

i didn't have any mylar to compare it to, but i'm pretty sure it'd do the same job. it was certainly more reflective than aluminum foil (which i've seen some people use).

unless someone here can offer a technical explanation as to why it wouldn't work?

99 cents can buy you about one square foot and then some of potato chip bag (im told it's made of polyethylene terephthalate or PET). that sounds like a hella cheap way to make the walls of your growbox/closet light reflective, no?

any thoughts?

jiz

Kilz flat white primer. Flat white paint is very reflective....:smokin:

so i was talkin to my construction worker buddy the other day about the costs of mylar. i told him what i needed it for (lighting) and he told me that it was hella expensive. but he brought to my attention the lays potato chip bag sitting on the coffee table.

he reminded me that the inside of most potato chip bags are really shiney!

i didn't have any mylar to compare it to, but i'm pretty sure it'd do the same job. it was certainly more reflective than aluminum foil (which i've seen some people use).

unless someone here can offer a technical explanation as to why it wouldn't work?

99 cents can buy you about one square foot and then some of potato chip bag (im told it's made of polyethylene terephthalate or PET). that sounds like a hella cheap way to make the walls of your growbox/closet light reflective, no?

any thoughts?

jiz
And for $1.50 to $2.00 you can buy mylar camping/emergency blankets from just about anywhere. They are about 4 foot by 7 foot. It would take a lot of .99cent potato chip bags to equal them.lol Walmart and Kmart and Target sell them in the camping sections.
Emergency Mylar Blanket - EMB

And for $1.50 to $2.00 you can buy mylar camping/emergency blankets from just about anywhere. They are about 4 foot by 7 foot. It would take a lot of .99cent potato chip bags to equal them.lol Walmart and Kmart and Target sell them in the camping sections.
Emergency Mylar Blanket - EMB

oh, thank god. i wasnt looking forward to buying a ton of potato chip bags and eating them. then cleaning them :p

ill go ahead and do that instead then.

i bought a 100 foot roll by 4.5 feet for 50 bucks shipping included so 450 square feet of mylar aint bad for 50 bucks is almost 10 cents a square foot

Mylar is cheap!$25 for a roll,i think it was 4x25ft?But i'm sure you can get it cheaper like Zenmaster did.

Maybe it is my lack of experience in this but why not simply run to the glass store and have them cut you custom size mirrors to line your grow box?

My father in law works at a glass works and told me he could get me any size cuts of scrap mirrors for a couple dollars a square meter. I was thinking of lining my first grow box with them.

Maybe I am over looking the obvious, mirrors are more reflective correct?

Maybe it is my lack of experience in this but why not simply run to the glass store and have them cut you custom size mirrors to line your grow box?

My father in law works at a glass works and told me he could get me any size cuts of scrap mirrors for a couple dollars a square meter. I was thinking of lining my first grow box with them.

Maybe I am over looking the obvious, mirrors are more reflective correct?
Wrong! Mirrors are not a good choice. They are known to put out hot spots which burn plants. Flat White Paint or Mylar or astrofoil are the choices I would go with. I myself use astrofoil.

Back
Top Bottom