Haight Solid State LED Grow Lights

sfhaze

I recently upgraded my LED grow utility cabinet to Haight Solid State LED grow lights.

Here are some pictures:

mjutcab1.jpg

mjutcab2.jpg

I started with the LED plant bars, moved up to the spots, then the superled/procon copy - but these are by far the best. The PPF-400 version I'm using uses 15 6W LEDs - equivalent to 60 of the cree XB. They don't have any fans are really just what I wanted when I started.

They use red, blue and white LEDs - I can confirm that seedlings grow great with them. Up until now, I still used florescent for seedlings. The big improvement for me is that it reduced the blooming time to 7 weeks (saving 1.5 weeks)

I'm now getting 5 ozs dried buds every 7 weeks. I think I'm more limited by the size of my cabinet then the lights. I'm pretty sure these two lights would yield over half a pound if unconstrained.

They also have a PPF-800, but that is bigger then I needed and I haven't tried it.

The prices are pretty good - still more the HID / HPS but not that much more really - especially if you add in the cost of replacement bulbs.

I think these are pretty much HID killers, LED grow lights are finally for real and ready for prime time.

bigpapa,

I've been growing with LEDs for a couple of years now and these lights are just a lot better then anything else I've tried. Most of the plants in the picture are still several weeks from harvest, It shows 9 plants in there, I usually hold up to 10, they end up about 2.5 feet tall and yield abouut 0.5 oz of dried buds each (more or less).

I used a superled lightblaze before the Haight Solid State ones, the yield was the same, but it took about 1.5 weeks longer to flower and they stretched a lot more. One strain I grow is grapefruit (also know as Cinderella 99) it flowers very fast - it went from 8.5 to 7 weeks. Purple wreck went from 9.5 weeks to 8 weeks.

Really, I understand the skepticism, I started with the completely awful and expensive plant bars The procyon and the lightblaze, HTGSupply and all those UFOs all use 1.5W max LEDs, these are 6Wmax each - it's a new generation of components - these lights do work as advertised.

bigpapa,

If you used enough of their larger PPF-800 it would probably work for you. You might need 4 of them - maybe 6. But you are getting a very impressive yield from 2 1000W lamps. I've grown plants like that in a greenhouse, but would have expected you to need more like 4x 1000W to achieve your current results; perhaps that light mover is more effective then I thought.

Anyway, they might not be for you especially if your power rates are low but they do work for a lot of people and they keep getting better.

Yeah the math on em still aint working out. I'm startin to loke em a lot more though. I feel almost the same about the leds as I do floro... You can grow some great smoke, and it;s great for patients who need their own medicine only and can't afford to worry about things that make commercialy available weed so popular... density etc.

I beleive eventualy however that something will replace HID, I hope so at least... I'd like to think we are always getting better. And I'm starting to learn that efficiency is the key.

all the entries none with LED
[

Good point bigpapa, my plants don't look anything like those and I haven't tried that PPF-800 so I don't know if it can produce like that or not. I'd be willing to bet that once some top notch growers tweak everything in that by next year you will see LED entries.

For me, I get 5 ozs every 7 to 8 weeks and have no power bill issue at all. HPS wouldn't work because of the heat - my plastic cabinet would melt. It all fits in a utility cabinet. For this type of thing, LEDs are the best answer by far.

This is very interesting. You know I have to..... +Rep for the cabinet set up. There are a few threads on here where people are attempting an LED grow, but I havent seen a clean set-up like yours yet. Strong work man. I do, however, think you might be able to get better results with the 800 series. I looked at the dimensions, and I honestly think that light would be the most efficient for the space you have (flowering). The only thing... that price tag!! $750? wow. If I had the money to play with, I would give that a go. This is the best LED set-up I have seen on the web by far, and your plants DO look healthy! I would love to see some flower/bud shots! But I do feel like the tech needs to advance just a little bit more before it becomes practical for the rest of us. :nicethread:

T I do, however, think you might be able to get better results with the 800 series. I looked at the dimensions, and I honestly think that light would be the most efficient for the space you have (flowering). The only thing... that price tag!! $750? wow.

With the 400 I already feel like the light is no longer the limiting factor for this small space, I don't think I need the 800. The prices for LEDs are still a bit high, but that 800 compares to other LED lights that cost over $1000. It lasts for 5 years, with no bulbs to replace and draws very little power. It's like the 2 400's I have, so I'm pretty sure it would produce at least half a pound. I get pretty normal looking bic lighter sized buds once they are dried and cured. No, they wouldn't win any plant of the year awards - but they are fine for me.

The other thing is everyone just seems to take for granted is how much trouble it is to set up a HPS light. Figuring out the inverter, getting a timer that doesn't fry, making sure the cords and circuits can handle the power draw, providing adequate ventilation so your plants aren't cooked. These LED lights don't have any of those issues and are just a lot easier to deal with. For small spaces like cabinets I think LEDs are the way to go - maybe not for commertial scale but if your goal is to grow 8oz or so then they are a great solution.

killer nugs is the point of it all. we are all looking to get to the same place.some growers do have a heat problem but its not an issue with me but i can understand the need for less heat. powers not that bad about 30bucks a 1000w so i am not that worried about that. all that being said nice grow GLHF.

I ran a crappy 400W HPS for awhile and it cost me over $80 per month. In CA they have "over baseline" rates that go really high, I think it was at about 35 cents per KWHr but it maxes out at 44 cents. It's to much to pay each month, the LEDs cost next to nothing in comparison. That's the main reason I've been trying to get LEDs to work for so long.

The buds I end up with are better then anything I've ever grown including what I've grown in a green house. I'm using tiny 5" pots and have small plants to fit in my cabinet, but still the finished product is really good. A friend came over with some weed from a club and he preferred some of mine.

With energy costs going up, and the constant desire to save energy; and money; LED's will evolve naturally. Everything about them is earth friendly, so they will take over, eventually.
HID's will soon be wasteful dinosaurs, although I don't see that trend happening until the LED lights get tweaked to the light spectrum weed needs, and they produce cheaper setups all around.

i came to this thread was you posted a link for a new grower who was asking about lights.i dont agree that LED are for new growers they need to be more seasoned to use them.realy i just dont want to see someone get frustrated on the first grow and quit..../QUOTE]

I totally disagree with you on that. These LEDs are EASY and just work. You have it figured out but it's not fun to try to set up a high power HPS light - especially in an old city apartment with old wiring. A few blown circuits and a few calls to you apartment supervision later if that doesn't turn that grower off - the power bill will. I use a cheap timer meant for Christmas tree lights, and don't need an engineering degree to make it work.

I know there is a lot of junk out there that doesn't really work, but these lights do and even a newby can set it up.

1000w light draws 9 amps same as a house hold vacum.so you cant vacum you house without a curcuit breaker triping.less then a micowave. as fare as timers they all work the same dont need to be in NASA to use it. "christmas trees", ill grow one with an HPS try it with LED bet i win.i know how my garden grows showed you the pic i have seen yours plz dont compare.

No that's not correct, 1KW bulb takes at least 1.2KW due to losses in the inverter - that's over 10A - but it's worse then that since it has a spike when it turns on. Sorry, but normal 15A fuses blow out under that load, just add one more item on the circuit. Really, it's a more of a pain then you think, especially if you live in an apartment and just want to grow a few plants.

Here is a close-up of one of my buds,

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/LEDBuds.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, and it smokes just fine.....

BTW I am an lisc. electrician for 26 years

Like I said, HPS is no problem for an engineer.

The 400W HPS I had didn't blow any circuits, but it did take out 2 good digital intermatic timers - that light is in the pile of junk along with lots of early LEDs that don't work. HPS is not practical.

We are coming from different perspectives, the maximum "over baseline" rate for residential units is 44 cents per KWHr. Your two 1KW bulbs at 12 hours per day would cost $380/month and that's not including your veg chamber. You might not hit that rate, but even at 20 cents it's too much!

These lights are new and work, even with my small pots, plants and lack of commercial experience I'm sure 4 of the PPF-800's would yield at least 2 lbs in your set-up which is a lot less then the 10lbs you claim to get. But you might do a lot better with your larger plants, etc.

Maybe you had i bad light from the factory, and my bill was 381 this month with the air on.Also my claims as you put, come from my scale there in the forums with pics also.it sounds like your more geared about money then gardening. all hobbies or passions cost money its a fact.your in the game or your not.like i said if it worked, i would have it. no matter what the cost.cost not being no factor what would you grow with?it seems to me you dont want to spend money on items needed.anyway back to the question cost no object what would you grow with?you could have anything you want chillers aircon. everything free electric.what light would you use?ooo and you had good wiring.heat,cost of electric everything no issue what light?

My power bill last month was $120, but that's only about $30 higher then normal. I would stick with LEDs even if cost wasn't a factor, I don't have a large space and the LEDs supply me with all I need. It's not just cost, it's the heat, the circuit issues, replacement bulbs. The HPS of mine is not a viable option in my apartment. Even if I moved to a larger apartment and had lower power rates, I still think I would stick with LEDs. That HPS light of mine is no more likely to ever come out of that box of junk then the rest of the crappy lights I tried.

Anyone who currently spends $600 for a couple of ounces per month at a club can now with LEDs easily produce more then that with no problems and with no more space then a utility cabinet. I haven't been trying to win plant of the month, just supply my needs for the lowest cost.

HPS isn't the right solution for everyone.

Also, If I had your set-up with the two 1KW lights, I don't think I could get 10lbs, maybe if I really tried I could get 5lbs maybe not even that. I've never tried hydroponics perhaps that's part of it. Given time, once some real experts try out these lights, I'll bet the numbers will improve. If your power bills were double, would you still stick with HPS? What if they were over $1000/month?

Wow.... I had no idea that this whole LED vs. HPS thing was so heated. I honestly thought that everyone felt that at this time, LED lighting was more of an expensive novelty than a workable solution! I would love to see some dry-weight numbers as well. That could really help this argument along. I wouldn't put that light in a junk pile, by the way. You could make some cash back on that by selling it on eBay or something. Just a thought man. I would love to see some updated pics of the cab!!

I have yet to see an LED grow using LED through all the way to harvest.

I have two 55 watt led panels and I swear I'm going to do an LED grow through to the end whether the yield looks like it's going to be OK or not.

It's gonna have to wait a bit though, I need to get a few more grows under my belt with HPS first.

regards,

setting sun

Those are some very cool LED grow lights to be sure, but I don't agree that they'll be replacing HIDs anytime soon. Yes, they use a lot less power and put out a lot less heat. This makes them much better in certain applications (just as CFLs can be better than HID in specific applications.)

However, it's just not tenable to argue that the LED grow lights can replace HID grow lights and get the same results - not just yet. I mean it's possible with enough LEDs crammed in there along the top and all four sides you could get an equal yield, but the up-front cost of that many high-end LEDs is going to be astronomical.

Personally I'd rather spend that money on what I know is going to get me top yields and quality - air-cooled HID and all the Advanced Nutrients I can lay my hands on. Of course I don't have the weird Californian energy laws where I live so that's not a problem. LED is only situationally better than HID, and even in those situations you're sacrificing yield.

Wow.... I had no idea that this whole LED vs. HPS thing was so heated. I honestly thought that everyone felt that at this time, LED lighting was more of an expensive novelty than a workable solution! I would love to see some dry-weight numbers as well. That could really help this argument along. I wouldn't put that light in a junk pile, by the way. You could make some cash back on that by selling it on eBay or something. Just a thought man. I would love to see some updated pics of the cab!!

By total dry weight you mean with leaves and stems? I'm sorry, I haven't been tracking that.

I'll get some more shot of some good buds, I think most of the plants in the original pics have been harvested by now.

Here are some pics of this weeks harvest. She is a Grapefruit (or Cindy 99) and was 12 inches tall when started to flower on 4/27. She must of been in that original shot somewhere. She was harvested today. I trim the buds when they are fresh and then dry them on a rack. We had a little too much heat and she suffered a bit, not my best by far - still it looks like it will be a half ounce once dried. I harvest one or two plants like her each week.

LED Harverst - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

LED Harverst - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

UL...Underwriter labs Underwriters Laboratories Inc. name plate on the equipment is 9 amps. divide volts into watts. BTW I am an lisc. electrician for 26 years i am not going to have this argument with you. hacker type breakers are designed to take spike loads, its code.....called NEC. National electrical code.

Like I said, HPS is no problem for an engineer.

An electrician is not the same thing as an electrical engineer (and boy do we love to have friendly arguments with each other lol). Please do not get the two confused. Don't get me wrong, nothing against them but they are trained very differently and to perform different jobs. They don't get nearly as in-depth with the electrical theory and mathematical equations (and don't need to) but they do damn fine real-world work (right bigpapa? We design things that look GREAT on paper or the computer but are impossible to utilize in the real world HAHA!).Then again I see the term "engineer" applied to almost anything nowadays...hell, I see job adverts for "sandwich engineers" lol.

I will back up bigpapa, he is absolutely correct about the amperage for a 1kW light being only 9A in steady state. He is also absolutely correct about breakers being designed to handle load spikes (in-rush current). Your home or business or whatever would burn down if breakers were not designed to handle these spikes and had to be over-sized to keep from tripping.

I too believe that LED's are the wave of the future especially considering their efficiency (up to 99%) which automatically means less heat and current consumption. They just need some maturation time...I'm keeping an eye on this for more updates :)

Back
Top Bottom