Is Mirror a good reflective surface?

A mirror is obviously an excellent reflective surface or it would not be a mirror. Is it a good reflective surface to use surrounding your plants? .. not so much.

The idea is to reflect all light that does not directly reach the plants back to the plants in a diffuse manor. You dont want any hot spots on your plants or those areas may cook over time.

i was always told mirrors absorb light?

If a mirror absorbed light you'd be looking at a black pane of glass. The reason you see yourself in a mirror is because the light the bounces off your face hits the mirror and is reflected back to your eyes.

If a mirror absorbed light you'd be looking at a black pane of glass. The reason you see yourself in a mirror is because the light the bounces off your face hits the mirror and is reflected back to your eyes.

Well, keep in mind that the light has to pass through a piece of glass (twice). There are also several different kinds of mirrors and like everything else, most of the ones made in the last 20 years aren't of high quality.

lose the mirror

Yup, or glue mylar to it or flip it over and paint the thing flat titanium white.

Sadly, this information is all over the net:nomo: and it is wrong. I am sure this is due to what you have heard elsewhere and point of information can change everything

The MIT theory on the net says: Metallic mirrors work pretty well, but they have limitations. The most important is that they waste energy, absorbing a small fraction of the light that falls on them.

When I initially came on here it was for a book and other informational materials regarding marijuana. Though I do not grow weed, it doesn't mean I do not know anything.

I am an Electrical Designer which means I design lighting systems. I have worked on Thousands of projects but the ones that stand out for this excersize is The Butterfly House and Moody Gardens.

But just to make certain, I have solicited the Electrical Engineer I worked under. I sent him what you wrote verbatim and here is his response What it lacks in verbosity it makes up in summary:

Mirrors will indeed help and they will reflect a small amount of heat too, but not as much as they do light. Try and see……

Back
Top Bottom