Moving to CA, a few questions on residency, and MMJ cards

EienRozen

I've read a few places online that to become a CA resident, you have to be there for a year and a day; this seems a bit extreme to me.
*Is state residency (on paper, not just being there) still a requirement to get the card?
*Also, will a doctor give you the recommendation without residency?
*Will I need a CA drivers license to apply for either the card or the rec?

For further clarification on the system of selling MMJ, a few questions:
*Are you supposed to be selling what is inside the legal growing limit for MMJ patients, or is cultivation an entirely different process with separate laws and limits?
*I hear about people growing in warehouses, but a warehouse for 18 plants maximum seems comical... so is growing in large quantities illegal?
*Do I have to be a patient to simply grow marijuana?

Thanks in advance for you time, and thoughtful response.

Re: Moving to CA, a few questions on residency, and MMJ cards.

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but from being Prop 215 legal the last few years, I believe I've gathered this much...

* Yes, you will need a California Drivers License that says you live at 123 Any street, California whatever. That is the proof of residency.
* Doctors offices tell you to bring your Drivers License as well as any paperwork that shows you have an ailment deserving of MMJ, so I doubt any doctor will give you a rec w/o your license.

* Most counties In CA have their own limits on number of plants you can have, the doctors office you visit should be well aware of what you're allowed to possess and grow.

* Warehouse grows, while prevalent here in CA, are under constant scrutiny of the law. Even though MMJ is legal here, if the Feds hear you're running a large grow op, it's still their duty ((although idk why)) to give you shit and make it hard as hell for you to provide your patients.

* And Yes! You need to be a patient in order to grow/posses/process marijuana in any fashion here in California. Having your card provides you with a very basic, limited protection from the law... But it's better than none at all, which is what you'd have if decide not to get your rec.

Good luck and best of wishes on your move. Plenty of sunshine and Sour D out in these parts.

This actually answered most of my questions. Thanks for the help, and the speedy reply.

Now, one question left:
* Is their a way to get residency, that does not take a year? Any special form, or fee you can pay?

* That's the part I'm not 100% sure of ((California born and raised in my case)). But even when I went and got my L's from the DMV when I was 16, I don't remember there being a question asking me "How long I've lived in California?" and to "prove" it.

Unless someone knows a way around this 1 year waiting period for residency, I might have to change the name of this thread to "Not moving to CA" :/

With the three doctor approved documents (certificate and cards) I've received 'none' of the staff ever asked how long I lived in California ~ only if I had a current and valid California drivers license. A official California ID card will do too...

Just tell them you can't have a license because you 'black out', have 'seizures' or other similar ailments. Also be SURE to bring along current medications you are taking because this will help the doctor 'assure' you are really 'deserving'.

If you don't have the two proper IDs mentioned above, CURRENT receipts from major utilities IN YOUR NAME *MAY* be enough to satisfy the staff at the doctors office to establish residency, but the choice to accept those documents is always theirs.

I hope this helps you!

I remain,
SOGLAD

I am thinking about doing the same, so is there a way to get around the year resident thing?

Great info, been considering a move this year or next. :)

There are some doctor's offices that will not check residency, others do. I got my card from Compassionate Health who only required a photo ID (passport, bank card, etc.) and proof of CA residency (ultility bill, lease, etc.) - which you can have the same day you sign a lease for your apartment or house :)

Back
Top Bottom