Ca Kaiser and the Feds

Nessa

I have Kaiser coverage. I was smoking weed for pain (I have my card) and was given a drug test and failed. Due to this they took away my Norcos which I was only taking when the pain was so bad I could not deal with it.

My Dr. made an off the wall comment to me the other day, stating if I have another failed drug test Kaiser will never give me pain meds for anything, which I am taking to mean surgeries included because even though anyone can get a weed card, according to him, Kaiser goes by the Federal Laws which says smoking weed is illegal.

Can they just not give pain meds for hospitalization and can they test for drugs, weed, without consent? I have some blood work he wanted me to do but now I'm hesitant in doing them.

Is there anything being done to change this Federal law?

Agree. I fired a doctor - to her face ... when she did an 'intervention' and wanted to discuss the fact that she was concerned about my "illegal drug use" because I tested positive for MJ. Also, that day i went out to lunch with a client and had a glass of wine with lunch, so they also found alcohol **gasp**.

I also take Norco about once or twice a week, at night, when I can't sleep because the pain is so bad.

After the first sixty seconds of her voicing her concerns, I interrupted to tell her to take that contract I signed and tear it up and put it ... um, in the trash can. I then told her that she was fired, that I would be sending information to her office to transfer my medical records - and I left. On the way out I told the office gal to NOT bill me for the visit as the doctor didn't earn a fee. To say that I was pissed is an understatement.

It took me a couple of weeks to find another doc. On our first meeting, before we even started getting in my medical issues I told him what happened with my last doctor and asked "Do you have a problem with me supplementing narcotic use with the use of marijuana?" He said he did not. I then asked, "Do you object to me having a beer with lunch?" He said he did not. I told him that I was NOT going to sign any goddam narcotic contract and he said, "I don't even care about that. I just don't want to hear about you selling the stuff on the street." I said that was an agreement that I could and would live with.

He gives me a script for 30 Norco about every three months. Not heavy narcotic use -- but if not for MMJ, it would be. I would be addicted to the heavy shit by now.

Stand up for your rights. YOU are paying his bill. He is YOUR employee. He can, of course quit - and you can, of course fire him. Nobody, but nobody knows YOUR body like you do. The doctor may have studied the owners manual, but, by God, you been living in that skin for your whole life. He hasn't. Like any counselor (lawyer, CPA, Realtor, stock broker, etc) listen to his advice, ask lots of questions and then it is up to YOU to make the decision - even if your doc doesn't agree it is YOUR decision. If he can't hang with it, he will resign. If he won't hang with it - fire him.

~ Auggie ~

Yes, ray -- it was a few months ago that we discussed this issue, but it is still a relevant issue. This kind of crap happens all the time, still. Prolly always will.

The doc that I interviewed after I fired the ass-hat-doc is a good guy. Young enough to not have the 50's Marijuana Madness virus, yet old enough to have some real experience. A regular guy that I would feel comfortable watching a football game and hefting a couple of brews with (I can even overlook the fact that he is a Raiders fan). Non judgmental. He treats the disease in the context of the human. He has made it clear that he understands why I use MJ, and has even said that in my situation he might use it too; but that because of legal reasons and contractual agreements with the practice that he belongs to can not officially condone or recommend it. Good enough for me.

I think that, these days, it is important for patients to have a frank and honest conversation with their doctor DURING THE FIRST MEETING to air these issues out. Patients need to fully understand the employee/employer component of a patient/doctor relationship. It does go two ways. And why would you want a doc treating you that thinks you are akin to a heroine addict?

Too many people (mostly of my generation, over 50) think of doctors as demi-gods or something. Not to be questioned or disagreed with. We need to take responsibility for our own health care and not abdicate it to ANY person, or government. It's MY damn body. I make the decisions, and I suffer the consequences of those decisions. Period.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom