What is the process like?

obiwannatokie

What is the process to get approved for mmj in the State of CA? I suffer from migraines and irregular sleeping patterns. I have tried using all possible OTC drugs for the migrains and the same for the sleep problems to no avail. I also found out on my own that cannabis gives me relief for both these ailments. I want to know from people who got approved in CA what I will need to get approved myself. Thanks for any info. you are willing to share.

-Peace

Best bet is to see your doctor. He will know whether Cannabis can be recommended for your conditions.

What about those physicians that specialize in recommendations? Is this suggested? I am currently between physicians. I thought that maybe a physician knowlegeable in prop. 215 and mmj would be better than my standard physician who may not be up to date on mmj and buy into the bull.

obiwannatokie, I've been a medical marijuana patient in California for about 4 years now. I get a renewal once a year, so I have gone through the process at least four times (5 actually; my first rec was only for 6 months (as if my incurable disease would dissapear within 6 months) by a scumbag doctor I visited when med-pot doctors were difficult to find.)
I would first, as has already been suggested, consult your regular doctor. Don't be afraid- he/she is a medical professional and must keep anything you say confidential. The worst he can say is "no" which, in all liklihood, he/she will. If they say anything else or joke about it...I would suggest finding a different doctor. I don;t think it's innapropriate for a doctor to refuse treatment he or she feels may be innapropriate for you....it's another to mock a patient for asking about a potentuial medication. Every doctor I go to knows about my medicine, and whether they agree with it or not, they better be respectful or find a new patient. But thats just my opinion.
Next, I'd look online and find a good, MMJ friendly doctor. The process is really simple. Do you have a medical condition that meets the criteria of Prop 215/SB420? If you can honestly answer YES, then the next questin is do you have legitimate documentation proving you have this disability? If the answer is yes, you are scott free. If the answer is NO, then you ned to obtain some type of evidence that provides you have what you say you have. The easiest way to do this is to request a copy of your medical charts/files from your regular doctor, which they are required to provide to you free of charge. It might be prudent to visit your doctor first, ensure that he documents your issue, and THEN request a copy of the records.
In my experience, with 3 sepearte MMJ docs, the experience went like this:

1. Pay up front, usualy 150 bucks for first timers, always in cash.
2. Get a physical - height, weight, vision, etc. Done in office and takes a few minutes. Usualy performed by a doctors assistant.
3. The doctor will come in afer your physical and review your documentation. He will then ask you what the problem is and if marijuana helps alleviate the problem. He will then usualy ask how much you smoke a week/month (I blieve this is done for two reasons: 1, just so everything is on the record and some LEO can't take you to court and say "Well, he doesnt need an OUNCE to medicate humself, only a few grams! He must be trying to sell to THE CHLDREN! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!. And 2, a doctor can write UP your minimum dosage. So, for example, 8 ounces is the max a med pot patient can posess at any given time. But if you live with cancer, 8 ounces, as much as that may seem to the average smoker, might not be enough to last a few weeks. So a doctor can write MORE into your note, as well as more plants/clones, and LEO, assuming they aren't federal, can't do anything about it), and evaluate your situation.
4. The magic words "I think medical marijuana would benefit you". Doctor signs a note, shakes your hand, and says he'll see you in a year. Renewal price is usualy 100 bucks.

Good luck.
TPM

Will doctors actually 'prescribe' in CA? I know most if not all doctors in Canada, will NOT prescribe it. They may RECOMMEND it, but will not put their 'seal of approval' on any documents because of fear of losing their insurance/licence

So, once you get the doctor's "recommendation" note, what do you do? Is there some kind of "card" issued by the State? Do you just keep the "note" to get services from a clinic or to show LEO if stopped? I haven't jumped thru the hoops yet, but planning to soon...

Hi All - I too am a CA MedCard Holder and have been for about 6 months now.

I originally went to a cannabis friendly clinic in San Diego; Although I was able to receive a rec and ID card from the doctor, the fact that the dispensaries were shut down still remains, so, in order to actually acquire your meds, you have to travel further north to LA region where dispensaries can exist and operate in the open. There are also delivery services that will service approved patients.

It is interesting to see how the different counties handle state law. Technically, San Diego is a "conservative" city, therefore, the local govt there has enough krony power to basically kick state laws to the curb; Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. I do have to say that the movement seems to be making progress so, onward, through the fog. :)

:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom