Arthritis Balm Recipe

Julie Gardener

Arthritis Balm​

Take 4 ounces of leaf marijuana and place in a large stock pot. Cover well with water and add 1.25 cups of olive oil. Bring to a boil and simmer at a low boil for 5-6 hours, adding water as needed.

Allow to cool and strain through cheese cloth, saving the liquid. Place the liquid into the refrigerator over night.

Peel the olive oil layer off the top and place into a small pot and heat over low to melt. Add some beeswax (1-2 ounces should work but experiment to get the consistency you like) and cool into a salve.

By Bryan A Krumm

Note by J.G. - You may consider adding Emu Oil to the final product as well due to the fact that Emu oil is a great trans-dermal carrier oil and will penetrate several layers of the skin for maximum effectiveness, unlike vegetable oils. I have purchased my Emu oil through Camdengrey.com. They are a wealth of knowledge and a good resource. Google will also help in your research.

Hello and thank you for this recipe. I would like to know how much salve this recipe makes. Four ounces is a lot to start with!
Also, how potent is the result? I want to make this for my Auntie's arthritis and I sure don't want to freak her out! She's never used cannabis.
What do you recommend?

Is that true that olive oil sometimes doesn't get hard enough to peel off? And It just stays like a liquid oil layer? Can we use coconut oil or butter instead of olive oil to make the Arthritis Balm?

Thank you for this recipe! My mother suffers from arthritis to the point that she can't open a soda bottle or salt shaker. I'm going to make this for her today and hopefully help with her pain. :thanks:

What a genius recipe... I have a close family member with rheumatoid arthritis and when she tried this cream from a dispensary in Canada called "arTHrighteous Cream" there was quite a bit of relief. It'd be great to be able to produce a topical right at home.

I made a similar balm and it has a strong scent of the cannabis. Do you know of any methods of eliminating the smell of cannabis from the balm and/or the infused oil?

Hi everyone, I wish I could say that I have made this balm before but it is just a recipe I found and thought it would be of interest for others here. Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions. If I come across anything that will help answer a question above I will be sure to post it.

:Namaste:

Might it impact strength or scent, if you heated the cannabis first in microwave? I'd read on another site recipes for extracting to liquid, and that was a step they took before using a water bath extraction method.

Is that true that olive oil sometimes doesn't get hard enough to peel off? And It just stays like a liquid oil layer? Can we use coconut oil or butter instead of olive oil to make the Arthritis Balm?

Hi! Don't want to step on any toes here, but I found a similar recipe and they used coconut oil instead of olive oil. Coconut oil, which is actually a semi solid, will harden back up so you can remove it. I think I would use the olive oil for oil based caps. Or for steeping the herb and making cooking oil. Your choice of course, but I would use the coconut oil.

Here is the link I found for the salve........hope it helps! Again, don't mean to step on anyone's toes! Just trying to help and that's what it's all about on this site, right guys?

Topical Cannabis Healing Salve | Patients for Medical Cannabis

Stay well!

Hi! Don't want to step on any toes here, but I found a similar recipe and they used coconut oil instead of olive oil. Coconut oil, which is actually a semi solid, will harden back up so you can remove it. I think I would use the olive oil for oil based caps. Or for steeping the herb and making cooking oil. Your choice of course, but I would use the coconut oil.

Here is the link I found for the salve........hope it helps! Again, don't mean to step on anyone's toes! Just trying to help and that's what it's all about on this site, right guys?

Topical Cannabis Healing Salve | Patients for Medical Cannabis

Stay well!

Can this be made with just plant matter? fan leaves, stalks..
I'm also wondering if you can still get high if you make the salve out of the same potent stuff i eat with?

Thx :peace:

Hello there, I'm new to all this but I'm a grandmother and a cook. My daughter has systemic lupus and my grandson has autism, OCD, Tourette's syndrome, anxiety and other problems. I needed something other than toxic drugs that were shortening their lives and short changing their lifestyles. I found it ... Mj tincture, butter and cookies, Here are my observations and recipes for what they're worth.

Take 7 grams of bud and grind it in a coffee grinder dedicated for that purpose. Buy a small 100ml bottle of food grade glycerine. Choose a glass jar ... any old jar about 200 ml size with a screw lid will do. Pop the ground herb in the jar and cover with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of glycerine. Screw the lid on but not tightly. Now find a small saucepan about 2 cup size. I have a little saucepan like that to use in my caravan to heat up milk or baked beans. I chose this smaller diameter saucepan that is a bit taller for a good reason. Now scrounge around in the bottom drawer or visit Gran and unearth the old fowlers vacola thermometer. Pop the glass jar in the little saucepan and stick the thermometer in beside it. Pour some warm to hot water in the pan up to the level of the top of the brew in your jar. If the jar is floating you have too much water in there. Now put the pan on your cooktop and slowly bring the heat up to around 180 degrees. Fiddle around until it sits on that temperature more or less. Don't worry about anything ... Sooner or later you'll get a great tincture. You needn't fret if it drops heat a little but try for no more than 180ish :)

So, leave it on the stove all day, stirring every 1/2 hour or every hour or every two hours ... get the idea? Don't stress ... It'll happen. When you're tired, go to bed and get up the next day and do it all again. My batch heated for a total of about 18 hours. To decant it I used four thicknesses of cheesecloth attached to the top of the receiving jar secured with a rubber band. I hollowed it a bit and popped my metal tea strainer on top .... Hi tech here! I poured the brew into the tea strainer and it dripped slowly onto the cheesecloth and with a bit of insistence from me through it into the jar below. I encouraged the process by pressing the dregs in the tea strainer with the back of a metal spoon. The final brew was so strong I had to add an equal quantity of glycerine in order to dilute it! My daughter uses the tincture in her vaporizer and also her e cigarette. We use it under my grandson's tongue for instant relief from his Tourette's symptoms. I use the tincture added to any old hand cream that's lying around mixed with a little emu oil topically to exactly where my daughter is hurting. The emu oil is added for deeper penetration through the skin layers.

For night time we use cookies made with canna butter. My cookies have an exact .42 grams of mj in each cookie so 14 grams of mj produces 33 cookies. My grandson has 1/2 cookie at bedtime and my daughter usually has one cookie. The reason I'm mentioning the cookies and cannabutter is I have read of people's concerns that glycerine doesn't extract as many goodies as alcohol in a tincture. We'll I don't fuss myself about that either. After I've made the tincture I wash everything that I've used ... spoon, strainer, jar, stirrer and the cheesecloth in water and put it in a saucepan. Into this I then throw that now dry knob of green dregs, 250 grams of unsalted butter and 14 grams of ground fresh mj and any previously vaped dregs my daughter has saved and make a batch of cannabutter! Waste not, want not ... anything left from the tincture production finds itself doing service in the butter production instead. Simply simmer the lot for about 9 hours on the stove top. Add water as necessary so that you always have about two cups in there. Strain and squeeze in the same way ... I use a 2 litre Pyrex jug. Pop some plastic wrap over the top of the jug and pop it into the fridge. When the greenish butter is set remove it from the water ... along with that odd wet looking muck on the bottom of the butter, I use that as well. You'll start with 250 grams butter but you won't harvest that much no matter how hard you squeeze. Just add a bit of regular butter or peanut butter to get the amount needed for your cookie recipe. Find your favourite cookie recipe and go for it. My daughter's favourite has ground ginger and brown sugar in it which masks the cannabutter taste beautifully.

A bit long winded I know but attempting to demystify all the processes and killing the stress. As for the whole decarb thing don't worry about that either. Vaporizing or e cigging decarbs it for you as you go. The tincture drop under the tongue works instantly as does the cream rubbed into aches and pains even though I didn't decarb before the cooking process. My goodness, why is this natural herb illegal and tobacco and alcohol not?! Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom