Colorado pain lotion

circuit

Here in Colorado we need moisturizing lotion because of the altitude and low humidity, so my concept is to combine a premium moisturizer with cannabis oil, to get pain relief at the same time. The first batch is in wife-testing now, she reports that the sore shoulder that bothers her most of the time, just stopped hurting, about a minute after application. This is how I made it.

EDIT! --- Don't make it like this, this was a fail, but a good first step. This makes a waxy product, there is a better way, more to follow...

Melt 20g white beeswax in a glass, floating in water, in a mini-crock pot.
lotion1.jpg

lotion2.jpg

Add 1g cannabis oil, 10g coconut oil(76f degree) and 10g Aloe Vera liquid.
lotion6.jpg

lotion5.jpg

lotion4.jpg

Let it reach 130-150f to melt the beeswax.
lotion8.jpg

Whip it, whip it good.
lotion7.jpg

lotion9.jpg

After it cools, add 59g of premium lotion base. Whip it until smooth.
lotion10.jpg

lotion11.jpg

lotion3.jpg

This is test #1.
lotion12.jpg

This batch was a little lumpy, so the next blend will use less beeswax and will be whipped a lot more, the small milk frother did not handle the thick texture well at all. I will be using an immersion blender or a whisk attachment on a drill next time. This was a 100g batch size, just under 4 ounces. There are a lot of little details that are not covered in this post, sanitation procedures and how the cannabis oil was made, so there are reasons for this thread to be here. The lotion had a slight aroma, beeswax mainly, but very light. Unscented is my goal. This was the first trial blend, just to see if the concept makes sense. Next batch in a couple days.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome. I am new at the lotion making thing, but have been making and taking edible cannabis oil for a few years.
:Namaste:

Yep, that was a whole gram of decarbed cannabis oil in 4 ounces of lotion. That's why it deserves to be called Premium Lotion. :geek:

Have you ever posted something and then found out it was really, really wrong? That first attempt lotion recipe is not practical for normal use because it leaves a heavy coating of beeswax, making me feel like my hands were turning into candles. She says I am nuts, but be aware, that was far too much wax, zero might be better, I'll try something different tomorrow.

Got it figured out. The recipe that is posted above needs to be whipped A LOT in order to fully incorporate the beeswax. The finished product is an excellent heel balm, but not practical as a daily moisturizer. For that, simply lotion base and cannabis oil work, again I used a whole gram for a 4 ounce batch, which smells strongly of cannabis oil, but the aroma goes away in an hour or so. So, unscented is not practical, some fragrance should be added if you enjoy that sort of thing. As far as how effective this topical is against pain, it definitely helps a little, I have applied it to my lower back and knees. Muscle discomfort is helped in about a minute, joint pain relief takes longer. A little help is some relief, better than none, and this treatment goes along well with edible cannabis oil for pain control. I also used the heel balm, which is excellent for that purpose.

Hey Beav, we tend to think too much sometimes, my first post on this thread is a good example of over-thinking. The lotion that I simply added cannabis oil to is excellent. It turns out that making lotion involves a few considerations, like sanitation, preservation and the actual blending of water in oil or oil in water. If you can make an extracted cannabis oil and decarb it, you can simply add it to your favorite lotion. Making a lotion from scratch doesn't make sense if you only need a little, because a good one will require a lot of ingredients. You can make a crude one easily, but it probably won't be the quality of a fully formulated blend, like one from the store. I decarb with coconut oil and wind up with a 1:1 ratio, equal amounts of cannabis oil and coconut oil. This mixture works great for lotion. To mix it in I used a small whisk attached to a drill. Good practice when making lotion is to wipe everything off with iso alcohol to kill any pathogens, including the containers and mixing tools, and wear gloves. There are FDA requirements for lotions that are sold, so if you decide to market a topical, be aware that there are regulations.

Hey Beav, we tend to think too much sometimes, my first post on this thread is a good example of over-thinking. The lotion that I simply added cannabis oil to is excellent. It turns out that making lotion involves a few considerations, like sanitation, preservation and the actual blending of water in oil or oil in water. If you can make an extracted cannabis oil and decarb it, you can simply add it to your favorite lotion. Making a lotion from scratch doesn't make sense if you only need a little, because a good one will require a lot of ingredients. You can make a crude one easily, but it probably won't be the quality of a fully formulated blend, like one from the store. I decarb with coconut oil and wind up with a 1:1 ratio, equal amounts of cannabis oil and coconut oil. This mixture works great for lotion. To mix it in I used a small whisk attached to a drill. Good practice when making lotion is to wipe everything off with iso alcohol to kill any pathogens, including the containers and mixing tools, and wear gloves. There are FDA requirements for lotions that are sold, so if you decide to market a topical, be aware that there are regulations.
Good info circuit, thank you. Now that you mention it, I have some pain relieving gel (BioFreeze) that may be just perfect as a vehicle. It also comes in a roll on bottle, so maybe I'll just tweak those.

Hi Circuit,

I've never made cannabis cream, however I am familiar with making Shea body butter. I usually make it with a 2:1 raw Shea butter to coconut oil. Let them melt in a double boiler and simmer and whisk occasionally for about 10 minutes. Take off heat Add vitamin e oil and almond oil to soothe and repair skin. You can also add essential oils to make it smell even better! I've been making this for about 3 years and it has made my skin so soft and radiant even through this wild Colorado weather! I'm sure you could enhance this recipe with some cannabis oil :) best of luck my friend

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom