Cannabutter and Wicked Awesome Brownies

Tiger Balm

phpSxdg0YPM.jpg

First, Cannabutter

I used a 4-qt bowl full of trim and popcorn, and one pound of butter (4 sticks).
I put both in a pot with enough water to cover the weed and make stirring easy. I did a slow easy boil for about half an hour to an hour.
phpevUKUaPM.jpg

Then i put the strainer part of the pot over the weed, and made sure there was enough water in the pot to raise the butter level above the strainer bottom.
phpAzyuTYPM.jpg

Then, i put it out to get cold. Since it's winter in MA, i put the pot in the garage. When the butter is solidified, pull it off, pour off the water, and throw out the weed.
phpOzsYOzPM.jpg

For some reason, I didn't get one pound of butter out of this, but just 2 sticks worth. I melted the butter and poured it through a strainer into a glass measuring cup and just got one cup. Well, by coincidence, that is what the brownies need!

PS, that bowl is 4-qt - that is how much trim i started with.

Now, Wicked Awesome Brownies
from Gourmet June 2008

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter (cannabutter)
8 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao if marked)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 large eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
Melt butter and chocolate in a 3-qt heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until mixture is glossy and smooth.
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt, then whisk into chocolate mixture until combined.
Spread in pan and bake until a pick inserted in center comes out with crumbs, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into square inches.

I baked the brownies for 25 min, to keep them moist.
The wicked part of this recipe is the cannabutter.
The awesome part is that there are 117 square inches of brownie!

+reps Tiger Balm. It is always great to see detailed and picture based how-to's for alternative ways to medicate. (That and I just love brownies.)

Do you have any thoughts on how much temperature is enough to convert the THCA to TCH, without vaporizing it off? I know you need to leech the TCH and CBDs into the budder, but I wonder where the break even point is on boiling. Again, just wondering here. Not at all suggesting you are not recommending the right thing. :)

Again thanks for taking the time to post how to do's like this.

Thank you for bringing that up, Legal, because that is indeed in question. I have not done the research necessary to state that. Gadzooks, i wish i could go back and edit those temps - we may need to stay under 350F. I'm going to google 'vaporizing' because there was new infor on that point - i saw something on OldMedMan's thread from a discussion on vaporizing. I'll research and post.

I was just over at a site sorta known as herbmetropulos came up when i googled vaporizer temperature, thread for Perfect Temp said wikipedia said 392F but vaporizers use 356F. Discussion followed.
However, i am personally testing this, as i should verify wiki's info!

ooooooh, chieften8 just said could vape at varying temps, because of a distribution of energies, A Gaussian Distribution. A certain % molecules will vape off at lower temp, but certainly all will at the uppr temp. /quoting other person.

This would lead us to stay lower than 350F.

Legal, let me ask something about our assumptions - That Being = when the THC vaporizes, lt leaves the brownies.
Wouldn't it bond with the butter, while just water vaporizes out of the brownie while baking?
The THC is heated twice, once while making cannabutter, and once when baking brownie. However, does the molecule change? It bonded with the butter and will stay there, hot or cold, right?
Questions while high - had a piece from second batch Cosmic Tiger Brownies.

High there Tiger Balmy.

I would bake your brownies at the regular temp. There may be some slight degradation of THC and even vapourization of light, low boiling point terpenes and hydrocarbons on the exposed surface. That surface is a very small portion of the whole and the loss is minimal. Any evaporation inside the brownie will be trapped there in the oils. THC and CBD can be converted from their acid forms to their active forms by heating to 120F for ten minutes or 200F for five. This can be done with pot heated in the oven or by making cannabutter. I tried some of the cannabutter I made by eating a tablespoon straight and got totally zoned out. lol

The resin on the pot is very quickly absorbed into the hot liquid butter, but a lot of the other constituents that make up the "high" and contribute to the medicinal qualities and over-all experience need a little more time. Depending on how fine the pot is ground up it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for finely ground pot to a few hours for coarser material until all the available oil soluble elements are absorbed into the butter. Too long an extraction period will cause more degradation of THC than a hotter, shorter time in the oven. The water in there with the butter will absorb the water soluble elements like sugars and chlorophylls. It also acts as a temperature control by preventing the butter from getting hotter than 212F.

I read a thread somewhere about cooking brownies at 160F for like ten hours. "A little doughy but not bad." I read. :laughtwo:

Go ahead, enjoy your baking! Don't the results speak for themselves? :bravo:

I still can't rep you yet but I can give you 5 stars for this great thread!

C'ya

:peace:

Here is some cooking discussion on the grow thread:
COOKING DISCUSSION

Currently, i am experimenting with water curing some bud, then will dry and grind into powder and cook as in the video in comment #12. If the whole leaf is used, may as well try to leach out as much chlorophyll and fertz as possible.

bake 310to320 actual temp use thermometer vaper boil off at 330f for most 50/50 indica sativas. cook lower temp a little longer happy eating. I cook a lot works great .
:welldone::welldone::welldone::welldone:

I don't use a vape, not buying new toys at the mo. Just rolling joints. I think tomorrow is time for more brownies! Supply is getting low.
I find edibles are good for kicking in when the joint wears off, and are good for making the long haul chores quite tolerable. Rx - have a joint and a brownie at the same time, for short term (2 hour) and long term (6 hour) relief.

Edit to say, i was talking with a cannabaker yesterday here in Boston, thought it might be you.

Back
Top Bottom