Cannabutter out of Vaped bud

BuzzWired

As a new member of the vapourizer tribe I've been reading lots of useful info on the subject. One interesting thing I read was that you could make cannabutter out of previously vaped weed (mixed with fresh bud, of course).

"Cool" thought I and proceeded to save my vaped remnants. The other day I spoke with someone who mentioned that because I use a Volcano Vapourizer and because it is so efficient, I wouldn't be able to get anything useful out of the material.

This obviously depressed me as I have quite a bit of the vaped leftovers.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject of using vaped bud, particularly bud vaped in the Volcano, in the making of cannabutter?

Oh, and by the way..... LOVE the Volcano!

I know talking to myself is crazy but doing it on the Internet? Ok, anyway, I'll answer my own question....

I had over an ounce of lightly (and some less than lightly) vaped bud. All a nice tobaco brown color with some flecks of lighter green. I'd been storing it in an airtight jar. It smells like peanuts.

While I was told that the Volcano was "so efficient" that it extracted all the THC out of the material that doesn't seem to be the case. I used 30 grams vaped bud, 14 grams of fresh nug and 3/4 Lb unsalted butter and followed Hash's recipe (7 steps to cannabutter).

The results were excellent particularly since I don't consider the nug or the vape to be of outstanding quality.

It's awesome to be able to recylcle!

I was wondering the same thing when I got my dual whip vp-101 vaporizer. The damn second element broke though during heat up, never order something glass from across America. Thanks for the insight on vaped bud for butter.

I haven't vaped enough to know, but a guy at the local med pot place told me that he put his leavings in gel caps and ate them and that the resulting high was almost too soporific (body high). It would certainly be a way to find out if there's anything left worth bothering with.

Peace,
Ruckatruck

As a follow up I used about 30 grams of vaped bud WITHOUT any fresh bud. I only used 2 sticks (1/2 lb) of butter.

Aside from the quantities I followed the "7 Steps to Cannabutter" recipe. Even though the bud was hand ground prior to vaping, I still ran it through a coffee grinder for the cannabutter.

I noticed the brown vaped weed turned green again after a few minutes in the melted butter. I cooked it for about 4 hours. After 6 hours in the fridge it was cool. The color was only slightly darker (very slightly) than the other batches I've mixed. I also noticed a bit of that "peanut" smell that builds up in the "Vaped Bud" jar.

I made peanut butter cookies with the butter and I have to say I'm quite impressed! Usually my wife does the baking but for a rookie I didn't do too bad. The cookies give a nice, mellow body stone along with a nice buzz (one that really allows me to focus on a project) that lasts for several hours.

The vaporizer I use is the Volcano. I vape a few bags from each bowl then store the used weed in an airtight jar until its cooking time. The vaped material still has a mild tinge of green when it's accumulated in the jar (ie: don't vape the s$*#t out of the bud)

Wow! I feel so green for recycling :yummy:

Right on. Glad you went through with your experiment. Yes, there is a lot of Cannabinoids left in the vaped material but must first be exposed to a high enough heat to decarboxylate them. The COOH (carboxylate group) makes the drugs inert. So, the cooking helped to release the remaining drug from its COOH prison and into your bloodstream.

Enjoy the ride, BuzzWired! :surf:

Oh, and :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

Thanks guys!

I think the best test of all was when my wife tried the cookies and pronounced them Good! She's my toughest critic and a hard sell.

I'm going to give it another try this week. This time the vaped product is better plus I'm going to try adding a 3rd stick of butter (1Oz vape to 3/4 lb butter).

I'll keep you posted!

Hey man I've been doing this too for quite awhile with my leftovers from my SSV.

I've noticed the high is not as cerebral and much more of a body high. I haven't done it in awhile because I got into glass and out of vaping a little, but now that I've been vaping again I have about 3-4oz of leftover and am going to be cooking with it here soon. I made cannabutter before and it worked great, but I was thinking about making oil to cook with...any experiences? Or other recipes...those peanut butter cookie sound good :)

...I've noticed the high is not as cerebral and much more of a body high....Or other recipes...those peanut butter cookie sound good :)

Definitely more of a body high but it still gives a nice euphoric feeling up top.

I've just made a second batch with only vaped product. This time the bud was of even higher quality. I added a 3rd stick of butter as well (3 total). The result was awesome and I stuck with a winner - the peanut butter cookies, this time using Chunky Peanut Butter.

I haven't tried making oil with vaped material yet but I plan to with my next batch.

I'll keep you posted...

Just as a follow up, here are the cookies...

PB2000661.JPG

and here is a picture of some cannabutter made completely with vapourized bud along side of some made completely with fresh bud.

PB2000641.JPG

The piece on the top right is the vaped stuff. The left is fresh. The other pieces are a combination.

Back
Top Bottom