Lusi's Cannabis Coconut Oil Tutorial: The best taste out there!

Lusi

I think I could write endless tutorials from my experiment results, but hope this one will inspire folks to try the rest! Here, I will show how to make Coconut oil from dry ice hash. This method can be easily adapted to use with butter or use with buds instead of hash. My goals are potency and taste. The method is of the best ideas from others I've tried.

:welcome:

First, answers to a few questions that I anticipate are at the end:
Why coconut oi, Why hash, Does it work with buds, and Why Dry Ice hash, Why not mix hash directly. Scroll down!

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- Crock pot, any size, smaller is best for under a cup oil/butter. Also best is with a removable crock.
- Coconut oil (sometimes found in the lotion area)
- Hash, 2-12 grams depending on dose (I use dry Ice Hash)
- Brownie Mix (optional, Ghirardelli is yummy)
- Measuring cup
- small spatula
- water

HOW TO FIGURE YOUR DOSING
You have the option of making an entire jar of coconut oil at once, then storing in the fridge. I prefer make my oil for a specific purpose, or at least a plan of how much I want each dose to be. If making a large amount of oil for cooking, most brownie mixes use 1/3 - 1/2 cup oil. Figure out what you want to do with the oil and go from there.

Brownie mixes make 16 servings of 2" squares. In the past, I've done 1/2 gram doses per serving, but usually broke my cookies and brownies in half. This round, I'm making them less strong so I can eat more of them at once !! :-D So, instead of 16 brownies, I bought a mini cupcake pan ($5) that holds 24 cupcakes. I have to warn people, I have a high tolerance and find 1/4g pleasant. I suggest people start with 1/8g dosing the first time!
24 servings at 1/4g each requires 6 grams of hash.
24 servings at 1/8g each requires 3 grams of hash.

If you don't have a cupcake pan and just want to follow the box for a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with 16 servings, use 4 grams hash fro 1/6g 16 doses.

How much oil does your brownie mix require? Mine says 1/3 cup (Ghirardelli testes the best) others say 1/2 cup. READ the instructions! If anyone out there knows if you can use Coconut oil to replace butter in cookie recipes, LMK. Butter flavor gives the cookie taste. Coconut oil is flavorless.
*** If making coconut butter for topical use, I use 1/8 gram per teaspoon so far, but am still experimenting.
*** I also have a method for making sugar free chocolate from coconut oil that requires no cooking!

STEP 1:
-Measure oil: Like Butter, coconut oil is solid at room temp, making it hard to measure. Scoop some into your measuring cup and put it in the microwave for less than 20 secs to melt. Add more until your measurement is done.

-Measure hash: use a small scales. I like those tiny stainless steel measuring spoons that say "smidgen, pinch. etc" Perfect little scoops! A tiny scales will cost you under $20. 1/2 tsp of my packed dry ice hash is close to 1/2 gram.

-Turn the crockpot on Low or Warm (the warmest you can without boiling, below 250)

(photo of set up. This photo was taken before I decided to make 24 cupcakes, so it shows only 4grams hash instead of 6g)
hash_oil_set_up.jpg

-Pour in at least an inch of water from the bottom, the more water the better rinse. I put enough in to reach 2-3 inches from the edge. You can add more later.

-Dump oil and hash into the crockpot, add more water if less than half full still, cover with a lid and let heat until simmering.

STEP 2:
Let the mix simmer an hour at minimum on Low. I cooked for 3 hours, some people do it 24 hours. My 3 hours worked, but with a crockpot it's safe to leave much longer. So far, I notice no difference in potency if it is heated higher or longer. Here, I'd love feedback from another budder expert. :))

(photo of cooking mix)
second_simmer.jpg

STEP 3:
Place in Freezer if in a hurry or fridge if not. In the freezer, do NOT let the water freeze!!

(photos of freezer and solidified oil)
oil_in_freezer.jpg

STEP 4:
Once Oil is solidified, break a hole in the top and pour the dirty water out. I call this rinsing. See how nasty that water is! Pour it in a glass jar and hold it to the light... yuck!

(photo of rinse water)
frst_rinsewater.jpg

Turn the broken pieces of oil over, take a knife or spoon and scrape off the brown sludge stuck on the bottom, scrape too much rather than too little. Save it in case you need it later.Imagine what this would look like if you were using buds... You might think this is a waste, but I ran the heated oil I scraped off through a coffee filter and looked at what was in it. There was plant and material and some fibers suspended between the water and oil. Scraping it off was no loss in potency, plus I had too much oil once the hash was added.

(photo scraped oil and clean)
clean_dirty_oil.jpg

I used to rinse twice, but see little point now. Here you can see the clean water underneath the dirty hash and oil I scraped from the bottom.

(photo of jar with water)
example_of_cleane_rinse.jpg

STEP 5:
Crumble half of the solid oil into the measuring cup and microwave again. As before, add in the rest until your measuring cup is full. If you have too much still, try and scoop out some of the darkest. If too little, add some of your scraped oil back in. You can still save the rest of the scraped oil for topical use or using to compound capsules. Keep in frig.

So, that's it, you are ready to use the oil for anything you want! Store in the frig.

(Photo of finished oil, the bottle of clear water is from the second rinse I did, to show you that you don't need to do it twice, unless cooking with buds. :))
final_product2.jpg

Since I made this oil batch for brownies, here's the results!
1) Yes, coconut oil makes just as yummy brownies as alive oil
2) Yes, the 24 cupcake pan worked perfectly, however the cooking time was cut in half, 15 minutes.
3) Yes, 1/4 dose was just right! One cupcake was pretty strong, took 2 hours to work, lasted fully 3 hours before fading away. (ate another then) Others, start with 1/8g!
4) Yes, the taste was wonderful and the odor barely recognizable!

(photo of cupcakes)
pot_brownies.jpg

It was really really hard not to eat a cupcake each time I was in the kitchen. Two of these would mess me up. One is enough to help me sleep!

*** If there is anyone following my hash capsule experiments, one of these 1/4g cupcakes is more potent than caps made from 1/4g decarbed hash. :) The Oil I scraped off and saved here will be used for my next capsule experiment. :)

Here's answers to the questions at the top:

Why Use Coconut Oil instead of Olive Oil or Butter?
a) It's healthier! Look it up online
b) It's more versatile. Coconut butter is great for your skin too! It's popular for making creams and filling capsules and can replace Olive/ Canola oil in cooking. **** As I am NOT a chef by far, I do not know if Coconut oil can be substituted for butter in cooking mixes. I hope someone here can answer that. It DOES work for brownies!!
c) Solid at Room Temps. This makes a huge advantage over Olive oils and oils that don't solidify! My rinse method for yummy budder can now be used on this oil to make better tasting edibles and potent body creams. The only way to rinse Olive oil is to freeze the water and scrape off the oil. By having solid oil, I simply pour off the water and can actually scrape the bottom of the oil to remove more impurities. (you'll see)
d) Easy and Faster to do! Butter has always been fast and easy, but oils needed to sit overnight for their rinse water to freeze. A half hour in the freezer will solidify the Coconut oil. No waiting to freeze the water!

Why Use Hash instead of Buds?
a) Less Wasted oil. I LOT of oil will remain in buds, no matter how much you press and squeeze them will not be recovered. This step is now eliminated when using any kind of hash.
b) Less possible Contaminates. Depending on your hash method, less plant matter is exposed to your oil. You have already filtered most of it out by making hash in the first place!
c) Less pot Taste. While my rinse method here will greatly improve the taste, even if done with buds instead of hash, less plant material means less of that taste. I personally HATE the taste of pot. My method will also reduce the odor of the end product. I have tried edibles from many many dispensaries in CA and none are as good as mine, not ONE!! This includes edibles from the well known Harborside. Whether you use my hash or not, use this method with buds and butter for great tasting products! BTW, I'm a terrible cook and used boxed mixes... they still taste better.
d) More Potency! When you make butter or oils with buds, a lot of space is taken up by the buds. If you use shake, worse! You can only add so much plant material before you are out of space for the oil and water. With hash, I can stir in many many grams and get the potency where I want it. For this tutorial, I used 6 grams for a 1/3 cup oil!
e) Less Work. No ringing and chopping.
f) Precise Dosing Control. I know exactly how a 1/2g or 1/4 amount of my hash effects me in a pill, tincture, or vaporizer. Here, I can now now ensure the exact same dose for each serving. If I want to make 24 cupcakes and need 1/3cup oil, and make each one with a dose of 1/4 g hash, I simply add in 6 grams oh hash to my 1/3 cup oil. Unlike buds, not a drop of oil needs to be wasted. There is no guessing. Potency and strain still matter, but if you know your strain and hash, no problem!

Why Use Dry Ice Hash?
a) Cost. A one time purchase of $6.99 will get you an all mesh Wacky Willy one gallon mesh bag. 160-220 microns work best. One bag!! Dry Ice, $3 of DI made me 26 grams hash the last round. I've tried ISO, Butane, and bubble hash too, along with keif. This is the cheapest and easiest. I knoow one person has tried my method and was amazed by the differnce in hash yield than bubble hash. That's another tutorial...
b) Time. In just 10 minutes, you can process one ounce of buds and shake and have it all packed away and labeled.
c) Yield. DI will give you more hash than all other methods I have tried. The quality depends on the quality of the buds you used. That's it!
d) Purity. DI hash has less plant material than keif, no solvents remaining, and less possibler contaminates than ISO. The plant is gently agitated, not pulverized with ice water or soaked a solvent. I don't smoke hash, so haven't a clue what hash lovers look for. LOL The purer it is, the less taste too. I made budder with BHO a few times and the taste was amazing... no taste! I also rinsed this hash and budder as I do here. It was the safety and yield that made BHO a bad choice
*** I will make a hash making tutorial later. For now, I have one inside another thread for anyone interested.

Why not just put the hash into the baking mix and cook, or just put it in the oil with no water?
a) Taste. It makes a huge difference
b) Purity. Any hash will have impurities, be it leftover solvents, plant material, or tiny fibers
You will soon see the difference!!

**** CAUTION: Edibles get stronger with age, even when frozen! Sometimes even double.

On further trial, first timers should reduce the dose to 1/8g hash. 2g hash for 16 brownies or 3G for my 24 mini brownie cups. Even if buying hash from a dispensary, you can make these for under $50!

I really want to try your guide but every time I try to make brownies I always fail! I would love to read your dry ice hash tutorial

Hi!

I'm a terrible cook, banned from using the stove as I never ever remember I was cooking on it. :) Here's a link to where I put of instructions for Dry Ice Hash. Which budget start-up hash & kief making products are worth buying? Lots of pics! I don't smoke, so unsure of a smoke test, but it's great for making pills, tinctures, caps and more from.

I had a friend try a brownie, someone who smokes a joint every month or two. She said waaay too strong, and she only had one bite! LOL She is like me, hates the taste of pot, but even with my rinse, couldn't stomach these. She's got a point... It would taste much better and give you more dessert for your dose if you reduce a dose to 1/8 gram each, or at least make less doses from a batch. Instead of making 24 tiny brownies that are strong in taste and effect, make 16 larger brownies to spread out the taste a bit. I'm a heavy medical user and will eat 4 of these easily. I'd prefer to chimp down 4 yummy low dose brownies than one high dose!

So for a newbie who just want to relax a bit and not gag too much from pot taste, use 4 grams of hash for 16 brownies (one box worth) instead of 7 grams hash to make it 24g. If you want the most effect for your hash, just make it into capsules. That requires nothing beyond heating the hash for 25 minutes. The brownie effect will come on slow and stick around a while. The caps kick in faster and harder fro the same amount. The effects were very different!

I hope this helps... if ya go with brownies, just get a boxed mix. I have to admit, it was easier for me than cookies. :-D

Forgot to mention.... If you are on a budget, after making the Dry Ice Hash, you can still vaporize the leftovers in the Volcano or vaporizer with a big reservoir. :)

I have my glycerine and hash ready to make a fixture, but feel too horrid to bother. I'll put that up here when I try it. :)

Hello...huh?.. I was thinking a cool way to be making some.....?..I don't know here....? Alittle Coconut hash oil..... Isn't this what that was suppose to be?...I'm dying here....word...just funnin

Ohhh damn it was my stupid phone...I'm so retarded....my bad...I've got the entire thread now.. Damn apple....sorry :420:

Lusi,

Thanks for the guide!!! I was familiar with and love the dry ice method but the edibles I made always tasted like sh*t. Your coconut oil method is brilliant but I have some questions. Do you stir the oil/water/hash mix to help clean the hash? Why three hours of cooking? Seems to me it just has to be brought up to low or simmer heat to activate especially as it will have additional baking time.

Using this oil I was able to make some really nice tasting and well, "effective" brownies. Looking now to expand the repetoir.

I'm new here but not new to making hash coconut oil :) Lusi, your tutorial is right on and we seem to make edibles much in the same way as far as dosage is concerned. I work at a dispensary and have tried some of our edibles but none are nearly as strong or taste as good as what I make. I tend to go with 1/4g per cookie/brownie/slice of bread. I like making medicated mini bread loaves.

To answer your question about whether coconut oil can be used as a butter substitute, yes it can. I haven't found a recipe yet that it didn't work with. I think you mention it is way healthier than butter which is one reason I like using it. Plus, for our vegan friends, it's a way to make vegan medicated edibles, of course using egg substitutes too :)

I tend to make my oil differently but it comes out with the same result. I use hash oil (or reclaim as i tend to have a bunch of it!) rather than ice hash. I use a heat proof bowl (Pyrex is good) and weigh out the amount of hash oil I want to use for the batch I'm making. Then I add the amount of coconut oil needed for the recipe. I place the bowl in my toaster oven at 200 for about 20-30 minutes and then stir the oil to make sure the hash oil is completely blended into the coconut oil. I let the oil sit until it cools down to just above room temp (super important if you're using eggs in the recipe) and then proceed with my recipe. I've even used this melted oil in recipes that call for using softened butter. Doesn't seem to affect the final product at all.

Thanks for posting excellent information, Lusi! I love seeing more people using hash oil in edibles because, just like you, I am not a fan of how cannabutter tastes in edibles. You can taste the hash slightly in my edibles but the taste seems to blend well with the other flavors.

Here's to more potent and tasty edibles! :)

Thanks for the info all:

I am a vegan and love the flavor of cannabis. I have a Vitamix blender and create vegan shakes for breakfast. I use the fresh fan leaves along with parsley, spinach, apples, almonds, oats, chia seeds, pecans, grapes, oranges, limes, bananas, and whatever else, sometimes carrots,...pack it in, fill what space is left with water and then I dance the "Vitamix" while its Vitamixing. It comes out as a frappe`/smoothie that has great nutrition.

I am just beginning to look into Budder from my harvest. My companion and I already use Coconut oil, and Olive oil for soups and baked veggies. There is finally a couple stores here that sell gluten free flours and we just bought some vegan chocolate chips to make oatmeal choco chip pecan cookies and we want to make some Budder to use with it. BTW Chia seeds 1 Tbsp to 3 Tbsp water and mix by hand then let stand for five minutes will replace one egg in a vegan recipe. We still need a replacement for sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but for now we don't mind if baked breads don't rise enough.

Our neighbor made some awesome banana nut bread cup cakes with molasses and a hint of ginger along with her CocoBudder and the ginger masked that cannabis flavor like it belonged with the recipe perfectly...yumm. Cannabis has a spice type of flavor and is great with food spices like curry, ginger, cumin,...I can think of a great Pumpkin pie edible flavor right now or even a Pecan pie using agave and Cocobudder...Mmmm I can't wait!

Lusi: I will study your DI Hash process as we have plenty of bud to work with and another harvest coming just in time for Atheist Gift giving day. :thumb: Thank you for your great How To post!

:peace:X

Afterr doing this a few years, I now empty a tea bag out and fill it with the hash and re-staple. This means less residue and better flavor.
Simmering for three hours probably isn't needed, but I simmer overnight just to be sure I guess.

Back
Top Bottom