Dosage questions for making cannaoil or cannabutter

SourDiesel16

Hey everyone! Although I am more of a fan of smoking or vaporizing cannabis, I could not resist ordering a Magical Butter 2 when I saw it online (hopefully it should arrive this week!) Living in Colorado, I see how expensive the edibles that aren't that potent (capped at 100mg) often costing around $20 each at the retail shops. I figured it was a no-brainer to get the MB2 to make my own edibles and save money.

Whenever I have seen recipes to make either cannaoil or cannabutter (on here, the MB recipe page, etc), it usually says you should use a minimum of 1/2 oz for 2 cups of oil (about four 1/2 cup doses for the average recipe)....and many recipes seem to lean toward 1 oz for 2 cups of oil. I've always been a little confused, at it seems to be a lot of cannabis per edible. It seems as if 1/4 oz should suffice, so I am wondering if I am either incorrectly calculating how much THC each brownie would have, or am missing something like the amount of THC you lose in the cooking process. I would be using bud (not shake, trim, stems, etc). To give you an idea of my usage, I would say I smoke about .25 to 1g of cannabis daily.

For the recreational sales in Colorado, the edibles are a maximum THC of 100mg. I have found that I can eat a full edible, but would probably want 150 to 200 mg of THC in my edibles (while some of my friends can feel it at 25 mg).

When I try to figure out the breakdown of the THC per brownie tray and individual piece, a 1/4 oz (7g) would break down into four 1.75g brownie trays. When you portion that tray, it would be: 8 brownies with 220mg, 16 muffin sized at 110mg, or 24 mini-muffin sized at 70mg. Would that calculation be correct, or am I missing something? Plus, I would assume that I could just eat multiple pieces to increase the amount of THC I am ingesting.

I figure many of the posters on here might have a higher tolerance level, so that may be why it seems like the recipes are calling for so much. Or possibly, people are looking for a much heavier high with their edibles than I might be looking for. But I wanted to see if I could get any guidance!

I live in CO as well and hope to be getting my MB2 today or tomorrow. I've been waiting since late January while it's been on back order.

I've been told you want to do 1-2 oz per pound of butter or a cup of oil.

I was hoping some experienced MB users could post their thoughts.

I want to make really strong edibles that would be as potent as smoking, as I want to take some breaks from smoking for my throat/lungs. The stove top method just wasn't working well enough for me as it was too inconsistent. I'd eat 3 edibles and nothing would happen other than a body high, or I'd eat 3 and be on cloud nine and pass out. I add soy lectin and was decarbing (although, I may have been making a mistake here as I would decarb on tin foil but not in a oven bag to keep the vapors in.)

Anyhoo, if anyone uses the MB, do you have any tips as to how much product to use (for both sweet trim and/or flower). Also, I will be using coconut oil and have heard some people will run the 1-hour oil setting TWICE. Do any of you do this? Do you just leave it in the machine and select the oil cycle again?

Cool Maestro! My MB2 should arrive by Wednesday as well.

Have you gone to any rec shop that has sold shake? I've seen a few places list on their -------- menu that they sell shake, but they never seem to have it available when I have gone.

I think I may wind up putting 1/4oz of bud and 1/4oz of my vape "remains" into 2 cups for my first batch. I figure, if it's too weak, I'll just eat more edibles for those batches, and know to make more potent stuff next round.

I will definitely have to make my next batch stronger. Used 7g of East Coast Diesel (Sativa), and 9g of vaporized remains. I will get a light buzz off of a full brownie. I think I will try 14g of bud next time, along with vaporized remains/stems for my next batch. In a way, I like the sativa-effects with the edibles, as they didn't make me extremely couch-locked.

Hi. How are you measuring. I don't know how much a gram is. Do I buy one of those little scales that measure in oz. then convert into grams? Thanks Lancia

I made my last batch of butter with what I call skry. That is the particles and keif left in the tray when breaking up your bud. So essentially it is bud. I used 2 ounces of skry and an ounce of good trim to 1 3/4 lbs butter. We made caramels and they are the bomb. 2 and you are nicely medicated. More than that and you wish you stopped at one. We made dark chocolate chunk and caramel cookies last week. My wife loves to eat the dough before baking. When they were finished baking she ate 2 cookies, I ate 3. I was too high, by far. She said she probably ate 2 cookies worth before she baked them. She was more baked than the cookies. One cookie will do, unless you are a light weight, then one is too much.

ok, I own a MB machine and make LOTS of products, YES there is 28 Grams in an ounce.But you didnt figure potency
here is the math. to make cannabutter, because of lose i use 7 1/2 sticks of butter (make 3 full cups of butter) and 1 oz of Herb and Soy Lecithin (it makes a difference) Now depending on the herb you choose you need to know the potency, you can estimate if you can find the potency on Leafly or somewhere. thats why Companies (like myself) have their product tested. lets say your using blue dream which runs at around 17-21% potency, so lets say 20%, so 28 Grams gives you 28000 mg at 20% potency that gives you 5600 MG of useable THC. divided into 3 Cups that Approx 1860 MG per Cup. Now in a cookie recipe you use 1 Cup, and make an average of 42 cookies (thats what i get per batch with a 7/8" scoop) that would be about 44 MG THC per Cookie.
charting out potency 17% potency would be 4760Mg or about 1588MG per cup or 37MG/Cookie, 20%=1860 21%=1960 46mg/Cookie

did everyone get that, i bet you wish you were'nt outside smoking during math class now dont you

same goes for oils, i use 32 oz, Glycerin oil and 2 OZ herb. Which makes a base mixture at approx. 350MG thc/oz @ 20% potency (you guys can do the match now i gave you the formulas) this i use with a 2:1 mix with Glycerin to make a 233MG THC/Oz GLycerin Oil Product.

I also mix 2:! with Honey to make a 233 mg THC/oz to make Honey Glycerin Oil

IMG_20150201_191048728.jpg

Let you know in about an hour. I used seven sticks. I just made my first batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Sent from my SM-T350 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom