2 unsuccessful attempts at CannaButter - Any advice?

Jessen

After hours of researching, I attempted to make cannabutter, using an 8th of nug, and a half-stick of butter.

On my first attempt, after preheating the oven to ~240F, I placed the 8th in a sealed glass Tupperware dish, along side ANOTHER dish with a half stick of butter inside the oven for 30 mins. I then combined the butter and bud into one sealed dish, and let them cook in the oven for about another hr (On the second attempt the bud was put straight into the butter dish, and then left in for 3 HOURS).

I tried baking cooking with the first batch, with no success, and on the second batch I consumed a good amount of the butter nearly directly, again, with no effect.

Where is the failure? I read somewhere a person experimented with increasing the heat for a small amount of time, with success.

Hugs Jessen:love:

I use the water and oil method and cook for a couple of hours at the boiling point of water which is 212 degrees f. Then strain and separate. This way my cannabutter/oil has a lighter nuttier taste. I've never had issues with potency. I just so happen to be brewing 2 cups of high CBD coconut cannabutter at the moment.

I'm using the scientific method outlined by Department of Pharmacy, University of Sienna, Italy and Plant Metabolomics Group of Leiden University, Netherlands. This group experimented on temperatures and extraction methods to make the most of cannabinoid and terpene potency. The IACM chart and citation can be found in my signature. The scientific article itself maybe a tad technical but it does explain the hows and whys in great scientific detail.

Our seasoned 420 members have their own methods of making cannabutter. I've never posted my kitchen version of IACM extraction methods because there are already so many methods posted on the forum. There is even a Mr. Butter product and instruction on the forum to make things easier.

Additionally, if you over cook at a high temperature when baking goods, you can lose the potency of your cannabis infused butter and oils. I bake at a lower temperature, 300 degrees f. for about 30%-40% longer than a recipe calls for. If used in a flash stirfry, I have all ingredients ready and fry with a little bit of vegetable oil at high heat then turn the heat off and add the cannabis infused oil or butter and continue the stirfry with the heat off. Cooking this way helps keep potency loss at a minimum.

I tried again and yet again no success... I used a crockpot on low, about an eight of greens, 3rd of a stick of butter and a couple cups of water. simmered everything for 6 hours, strained and then cooled in the refrigerator. This morning I pulled it out, ate some of the butter and got nothing yet again. So frustrated and broke, lol. What can I do differently, why do I get nothing every single time?

Cannabelle I tried to PM you this but I need at least 50 posts so I couldn't, heh.

Hey Jessen, I'm sorry I have not replied right away. My power was out last night and half of today. A big storm swept my area.

You should protect your identity on the forum because you don't want to attract unwanted attention.

What temperatures are you using to make your cannabis infused butter?

What strain of cannabis are you using in your butter?

If you feel you are doing the cannabutter correctly, maybe the strain is not high in THC. I take it that you are looking for a nice buzz. A high CBD strain with low THC will not have much of a buzz.

I've seen a few people report they are not able to get a buzz with edibles. Whether they processed their cannabis infused butter incorrectly or truly have a tolerance level for edibles is beyond me.

Ingesting a myrcene rich food like ripe mangoes, lemon grass or hops about 30+ minutes ahead of time helps to elevate and extend a buzz.

Best wishes
:green_heart:

I made this video a couple weeks ago to show how I make cannabutter. Even though I use the Magic Butter 2, the concept is still the same. You just have to manually grind your bud, and it requires a little more attention if heating on a stove.

Before I used the MB2, I was making butter on the stove in a pan.

You may want to try using more than 1/8 of bud for the butter. I personally use 2oz to 1lb of butter. Also I didn't see where or if you said you were grinding the bud. Make sure to grind the bud very very fine, the more surface area the butter can contact the bud, the more extraction you will get.

Also, make sure to keep your temps below 300F, but its better if you keep them around 200F or less. The cook time for the butter can go a long time, the longer the better. I typically run my butter at a minimum of 8-9 hours at 190F, but have heard of some even going 24 hours.

Make sure also you are using good bud, or if its not that good, you use more of it. Hope this helps.

Also, it helps if you are ingesting cannabutter to wait about 1 hour for the effects to take place, its a much more slow delivery of the cannabinoids when eating them.

When making the butter, I've tried decarbing the bud first at 250 for 30 mins, then cooking in butter at 250 for hours, I've tried the crockpot on low for hours, I'm going to try double boiling a small amount of milk and bud for an hour around 190F. How can I find success?

I made this video a couple weeks ago to show how I make cannabutter. Even though I use the Magic Butter 2, the concept is still the same. You just have to manually grind your bud, and it requires a little more attention if heating on a stove.

Before I used the MB2, I was making butter on the stove in a pan.

You may want to try using more than 1/8 of bud for the butter. I personally use 2oz to 1lb of butter. Also I didn't see where or if you said you were grinding the bud. Make sure to grind the bud very very fine, the more surface area the butter can contact the bud, the more extraction you will get.

Also, make sure to keep your temps below 300F, but its better if you keep them around 200F or less. The cook time for the butter can go a long time, the longer the better. I typically run my butter at a minimum of 8-9 hours at 190F, but have heard of some even going 24 hours.

Make sure also you are using good bud, or if its not that good, you use more of it. Hope this helps.

Also, it helps if you are ingesting cannabutter to wait about 1 hour for the effects to take place, its a much more slow delivery of the cannabinoids when eating them.

Thank you for helping Jessen, Icemud.:love:

I make cannabutter for CBD and myrcene content which is a little different than brewing for THC. Since Jessen appears to be aiming for a nice THC buzz, MB2 looks perfect.
:thanks:

Whenever I decarb for my butter I grind it real fine with an electric coffee grinder and spread it out on a cookie pan and turn it up to 310 for 15 mins. then I simmer the decarbed herb in a sauce pan with the ratio of 4 sticks of butter per ounce and fill it half way up with water. I simmer this on 2 or 3 for my stove (as long as you got the stuff moving around and steaming without boiling you should be fine.)and stir occansionally for 3 hours and then strain the plant matter out and cool it in the pot with the water and all overnight in the fridge scrape it off the top of the water and make cookies. 1 cookie = good night although it works on how fast you digest for me its about 2 hours after I finish the cookie.

Back
Top Bottom