Fanleaf's Cannabutter from fresh frozen trim

fanleaf

Hello everyone. I just wanted to show you my recipe that I make butter with.
I had a hard time finding a recipe for fresh frozen trim so maybe this will help a few others.

For this batch I'm making 2 pounds of butter.

Ingredients; 11.2 ounces of trim, 8 sticks of REAL UNSALTED butter.

11.2 ounces of fresh frozen trim. That seems like a ton but it will dry up much lighter. My trim does not have large fan leafs. Just the smaller ones. Basically when I harvested my plants anything trimmed went in here as well as any small fans that had glands on them.

0930161315.jpg

Now
I covered a few cookie sheets in tin foil and spread the trim out evenly on the 2 cookie sheets.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! I have a gas oven and my first butter attempt failed because my oven temp is not what you set it to. My actual oven temp is almost 40 degrees off of the setting you set it on so I highly suggest you get one of these thermometers.
0930161403.jpg

Now, the oven is for the decarb process which activates the THC for food use. This process is fairly temperature sensitive.

Preheat your oven to an actual temperature of between 225 and 240 degrees.
I say actual because for me to get my oven to 240 degrees I had to set my oven to 290 degrees because my oven thermostat is wrong and so I failed my first attempt. I confirmed it was wrong with my new little thermometer and also double checked with my handheld infrared thermometer.

0930161348.jpg
0930161349.jpg

Now, 11.2 ounces is quite a bit of material so if you don't use as much as I did then your time in the oven may be different than mine but go ahead and place your material in your preheated oven.

I had to decarb for 1 hour and 15 minutes just because of the amount of material. Depending on how much you use yours may be done in 30-45 minutes or up to an hour and 15 minutes like mine.

Once in the oven let it go at first for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes are up open the oven and with some tongs turn the material over. Your trying to mix it up just a bit.

After you have turned the material just shut the oven door and mix up the material every 10 minutes after that until your material is done.

How you know when your material is done is pretty straight forward. You can feel when mixing it up it will be completely dry and somewhat crispy and start to take on a brown color. That's when it's done decarbing.

When I pulled my material out of the oven it went from 11.2 ounces to just under 4 ounces. Here is what my decarbed material looked like.

0930161439a.jpg

Next
Get your crock pot out and place your 8 sticks (2lbs) butter in the crock pot along with 5 cups of water. You can see the water in my picture.

0930161330.jpg

Turn the crockpot on low to get the butter melted and put the lid on.

0930161415.jpg

It takes quite a while for it to heat up but after quite a while my crock pot runs at about 180-190 degrees on low.

Now add your decarbed material into the butter. It should look like this.

0930161445.jpg

Stir it around using a wooden spoon or something. Get it all wet and if you need more water to make it easier go ahead, it won't hurt a thing.

Let this simmer on low with the lid on for 2.5-3 hours stirring every 15-30 minutes. After 2.5 hours it should look about like this.

0930161637.jpg

At this point your butter needs to be strained and cleaned further if you wish. I use a bowl with a metal strainer and 3 layers of cheesecloth. I had to do to cheesecloth's full because of the amount of material I used.

0930161655.jpg
I forgot to take a picture of the cheesecloth but I lay them 3 layers thick in the strainer above and load the material into the cheesecloth. Once it's loaded I gently wrap up the cloth and while still pretty hot I wring the cheesecloth out by squeezing and twisting as tight as I can to get all of the butter out and into the big bowl. When the cheesecloth is wrung out as good as I can get it I take the bundle over to the sink and under the faucet let it soak as much water up as it can so I can squeeze it again over the strainer and get more butter out of it.
When your done your cheesecloths should look like this..
0930161702.jpg

And your butter and water should look like this...

0930161711.jpg
0930161702b.jpg

Now put the lid on your butter/water mix and place it in the refrigerator.
After a while (several hours)your butter will come to the top and get hard and the dirty water will be underneath the butter. At that point you can just break up the butter from the top and call it done.

If you want you can add one more process to make your butter better if you want to take out some of the stronger taste. This will NOT affect how strong your butters THC content is.

Take your hardened butter only and place it in a small pan on the stove. Add a cup or 2 of new fresh water and put on very low heat. Just stir around until the butter has remelted and place it back in the refrigerator. Once it re-hardens this time you will notice the dirty water under your butter will be much cleaner than it was the first time.

I just finished a batch tonight so I will report back with what strength it came out to in my cookies I'm getting ready to bake right now.

I hope this helps some of you! I really do.

After I remelted with new water like mentioned above I let harden again, seperate the butter from the water then remelt the refined cannabutter at very low temp once again but this time I pour into my butter molds and in the fridge it goes.

1001160207.jpg

My butter molds have tablespoon lines in them for easy use. Each line is a tablespoon. Now with your new good quality cannabutter you can make some Oatmeal Raisin cookies!

1001160017.jpg

On 2nd thought Maybe Chocolate chip cookies would be better.....After all, chocolate chip cookies call for about twice the butter!!!! Good thing I made both:thumb:
Enjoy!

So, as it turns out the strength of the batch is just where I hoped it would be. 1 oatmeal raisin cookie is a moderate to good amount of Medicine. 1 chocolate chip cookie is a pretty strong dose.

I also want to give a word of warning to anyone who tries Edibles for the first time.
It took an hour and 15 minutes before I felt anything at all but when I did it came on pretty strong pretty fast. It also stays strong for 5 to 6 hours.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nice write up, crock pot seem the way to go with out a magic butter unit. reps:thumb:

Thank you so much! Yes, I have made it with a pot on the stove as well but the crockpot is much steadier temperature wise. Rep's back atcha!

Would this method work for not so fresh, frozen trim?

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Yes, it sure would. The decarb in the oven portion may be a bit on the shorter side though if your trim isn't as wet as when it came off the plant. The important thing is the oven actual temp and the description I gave about when you know the decarb process is done. If your using a trim that was more dry than mine before it was frozen let me/us know and we can try to get you in the right ballpark as to how much to use.

Yeah the trim I have was dried in a rack for a few weeks then bagged and froze. I believe it was around 1 lb total dried. Would appreciate any recommendations im getting ready to make some buttah tonight or tomorrow

Yeah the trim I have was dried in a rack for a few weeks then bagged and froze. I believe it was around 1 lb total dried. Would appreciate any recommendations im getting ready to make some buttah tonight or tomorrow

Sinse you wont be losing water weight in the oven you should go with about 2 to 2.5 ounces per pound of butter if your trim is about like mine as far as no large fan leafs that didnt have any trichomes on it. If you did like me for the most part and just kept the smaller fans and the bud trim or basically anything that showed trichomes on it 2 - 2.5 ounces per pound of butter should be pretty darn good. If you pre-heat your oven to 240 degrees F since your material is already dry depending on how much you put in the oven you're probably only needing to be in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes like I said depending on how much you put in there. Myself personally I would go towards the 40 minute mark just because I would rather over do it a little bit and lose 5% potency then under do it and not activate 60% of the THC. You know what I mean?

Yes thanks for the info!! I'm gonna go get an oven thermometer tonight just to see how close my oven temps are and will make some butter using this method and report back.

Thanks for the help!

Yes thanks for the info!! I'm gonna go get an oven thermometer tonight just to see how close my oven temps are and will make some butter using this method and report back.

Thanks for the help!

Just keep an eye on the thermometer every time you open the oven to mix up the goods. Between 225 and 240 your golden. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Researching decarb, I found this:
Decarboxylation
Before making cannabutter
********The decarboxylation reaction has been studied in the range of 90—140 °C. Under the experimental conditions, the highest yield to D9-THC was obtained at 110 °C (230 F) for 110 min. Most preferably the decarboxylation step is conducted at temperatures and for times which ensure at least 97% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form, whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 5%. ********
Notes
The reason for keeping the temperature at or below 240°F/116°C is in order to minimize the chance of cannabinoids from being degraded by the heat. Once the temp goes over 250°F/121°C, there is a greater chance of heat having a negative effect.

Terpenoids begin vaporizing at 246.2 F and THC Delta 9 at 314.6 F.
Happy Growing

Researching decarb, I found this:
Decarboxylation
Before making cannabutter
********The decarboxylation reaction has been studied in the range of 90–140 °C. Under the experimental conditions, the highest yield to D9-THC was obtained at 110 °C (230 F) for 110 min. Most preferably the decarboxylation step is conducted at temperatures and for times which ensure at least 97% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form, whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 5%. ********
Notes
The reason for keeping the temperature at or below 240°F/116°C is in order to minimize the chance of cannabinoids from being degraded by the heat. Once the temp goes over 250°F/121°C, there is a greater chance of heat having a negative effect.

Terpenoids begin vaporizing at 246.2 F and THC Delta 9 at 314.6 F.
Happy Growing
Yes, I think I may have read either the same thing or something very similar. That's why I keep at 240 or lower.
Nice find!

Has anyone out there made butter from this thread yet? If so I would love to hear about it.
I know the first time I made it and ate a cookie I waited for an hour and since I didn't feel it yet I ate another.......That my friends was a big no no because the first one hadn't kicked in yet. I got totally wrecked for a day and a half! I though I was on a perma trip. I was glad to come back to earth when it finally gave in.
Since then I have learned depending on what type of cookies I make how many to eat. Oatmeal raisin is 1 cookie. Chocolate chip uses twice the butter so 1/2 to 3/4 of a cookie is good. One Choc chip cookie to 1.5 will tear ya up seriously.

Give this a little bump with a question.:nicethread:

So I feel like I asked this before. weird. But, How do you prepare and save the fresh frozen trim?

I am using zipLocking freezer bags And i worry about moisture. I try to squeeze and suck out any air before I put it in the freezer.
I do have a vacuum sealer but have never used it, i frustrate myself sometimes.

Do you worry about extra moisture creating frozen water and or freezer burn from the excess moisture.

I ask because some of my frozen trim has moisture showing in the bag.

And I "cook" my trim into a coconut oil infusion. I would prefer to use fresh trim, frozen until I am ready to use it.

GrateDay! :ciao:

Give this a little bump with a question.:nicethread:

So I feel like I asked this before. weird. But, How do you prepare and save the fresh frozen trim?

I am using zipLocking freezer bags And i worry about moisture. I try to squeeze and suck out any air before I put it in the freezer.
I do have a vacuum sealer but have never used it, i frustrate myself sometimes.

Do you worry about extra moisture creating frozen water and or freezer burn from the excess moisture.

I ask because some of my frozen trim has moisture showing in the bag.

And I "cook" my trim into a coconut oil infusion. I would prefer to use fresh trim, frozen until I am ready to use it.

GrateDay! :ciao:

I do the same. Fresh from plant, squeeze as much air from bags as I can and straight to the freezer. I have had trim frozen for 2-3 months and it still works just as it should. I too have seen some moisture develop but it hasn't affected it or much anyways. I have also let my trim sit out and dry crispy before freezing. That may be better for freezing long term.
On another note....In the last hour I just finished making another batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. :thumb:

Just thought I'd drop in and add a little info that maybe might help with this process. (Maybe this has already been covered and I just haven't seen it, if so my apologies). Full disclosure here I'm a chef by profession so this sort of thing is in my wheelhouse.

All the info about freezing and decarbing is more or less on point and I generally follow the same principles here. Where my method differs slightly is that I add a step and steep my butter in a different manner than a slow cooker.

Take your trim (frozen or not, by all means freeze it as this will not affect your medicine whatsoever), generally I use 1.5oz of trim per pound of unsalted butter infused, and blanch it before decarbing and steeping. I started doing this after giving it a little thought as in my industry often times we will blanch vegetables before actually cooking them as it speeds the process up. This is such an easy step and it makes your end product so much better in my opinion. Simply place your trim in boiling water for about three minutes, remove and strain. Your trichomes are not water soluable as will be still visually evident when you remove your trim from the water so don't worry about leeching any of your canna-goodness off into the water. What this does do is eliminates almost all of the odor and chlorophyll resulting in butter that looks and tastes much closer to what you started with; I dunno about you guys but having a brownie or a cookie taste like weed is a turn off.

Dry your blanched trim (this can be done by simply leaving it overnight in an enclosed area or if you're like me and want to get on with things you can use a food dehydrator for this) and then decarb as stated above, I usually do 40 minutes at 240 F.

After decarbing I actually use a water bath method to infuse my butter. Heat up a pot of water to just below boiling. Get yourself a French press (these are pretty cheap, usually about $10 or so) and throw a pound of butter into it and gently place it into your water bath. After your butter melts cram all your trim into the French press and depress the plunger down till all your trim is soaked. Let this steep for three hours (you'll have to periodically add water, keep your water level the same as the butter in your French press). Voila, your butter is ready and not Hulk green and more importantly will not have any cannabis flavor while retaining all the potency. Your yield will be around 12oz of usable butter after you strain your butter via the French press; this is mostly milk solids that you won't want in your butter anyway. Hope this helps!
420-magazine-mobile1318952036.jpg

420-magazine-mobile748892976.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2041186249.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1268870513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom