New user looking for advice for edibles in regards to pain - Sciatic

bamnet

hello everyone,

i was looking for some advice on any person who has experience with edibles for pain.

just some background info... i am 44 and weigh about 155 pounds. i am not a smoker and maybe have tried to smoke 2-3 times in my life and i think i was unsuccessful as i am a poor inhaler. i have had about a 1/4 of an edible cookie once which kinda got me out of it...and dry mouth but i have to admit it was a positive experience.

anyhow i hurt my sciatic nerve this past summer and it got really bad during veterans day weekend. i could barely walk without a lot of pain.

anti inflammatorys do not help at all. and i absolutely will not take any pain killers. so i bought some edibles this past Thanksgiving holiday. the are gummy rings made by Face Plant. 50 mg each. it was recommended that since i was new i should cut each ring into 1/4. so i took a 1/4 and had no effect. so then i just consumed the other 3/4. still no effect. but this past Saturday i took 2 rings. and it was not good. i just got disorientated and really a lot of anxiety....millions of thoughts going through my head a second. and i don't even recall if it helped my back. so my questions are:

1) is there a recommended amount of mg of edibles one should take to start off...do you have to build up to a point...does it matter if you are a new user?

2) is there a difference in types of edible products for effect...are cookies and brownies perhaps better than candy?

3) how long does it typically take for an edible to begin to help with pain?

4) anyone with nerve or back pain does it even make an impact?

5) did i just choose a wrong product? anyone have experience with Face Plant products.

I appreciate everyone's help and any insight. Thank you.

If you're managing chronic pain, unless you are not going to mind paying through the nose for retail edibles, you should really make your own. Many of the edible companies use extracted oils which are potent, but lack the synergistic compounds found in the whole bud.

Here's an example. A package of 10 each, 10 mg THC edibles costs about $20 (low end of the range, obviously varies by location), or 20 cents per milligram. Instead, let's say you bought an 1/8th oz for $35 bucks.(assume it's 20% THC content) To estimate the total THC in mg, multiply the weight in grams by the % THC (3.5 x .20 = .7 g, or 700 mg) So now you're looking at 5 cents per milligram. Making your own edibles is 4 -6 times cheaper than buying. This is important if you medicate frequently.

A lot of people get caught up in making cookies, brownies, or other confections, often involving extracting into butter or other fats, when it's much faster and less messy to simply decarboxylate your bud, grind it up in a coffee grinder, add a small amount of coconut oil or ghee to create a paste which you can eat directly, or put in capsules or chocolate. It can be done in under an hour with little clean up.

You can experiment with the dosing you need, also with different THC/CBD ratios. From my experience, taking more than 10-15 mg THC leaves me too high to go to work and interact with my fellow human beings. Using a high-cbd strain gets you less stoned and possibly feeling more pain relief.

Let me know if you want more of a description of how to make your own medicine, it's the cleanest, fastest method I've come across, and you don't have to consume significant calories to get the benefits.

This information is great. Had no idea you can make a simple paste instead of all the cooking and extraction. CBD will be in the green too. Yum and thank you

Back
Top Bottom