CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

Hash

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this
DSCF0708.JPG

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It shoud look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.
Cheese.JPG

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this
DSCF0713.JPG

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,
Cheesepour.JPG

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,
Squeezecheese.JPG

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.
DSCF0719.JPG

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

donebutter.JPG

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!

* If making the butter is too much work for you, you can try this amazing device from Magical Butter.

nice how to guide there hash...very informative

threw it out, I've heard that you can make some kind of thc milk with the cheesecloth but I dont think there's any use for the bud.

looks great... I wanna bake something now lol
Doesn't someone know a way to incorporate hash to food instead of weed? Is it possible to just melt it with butter?
Or to just crumble it into the mix?

I just added hash to some cookie dough, baked it and ate and... I have no words

:adore: :adore: :adore:

Tho I like the taste better without the hash (not that it was bad)

Hash said:
threw it out, I've heard that you can make some kind of thc milk with the cheesecloth but I dont think there's any use for the bud.
I always just leave it in there...
But I don't like wasting bud...
Never know if there is any THC left!

argh i'm never taking edibles again this how is so weird! I can't stop eating...

^ Not at all, MAny people use vaped bud to cook with or even make hash. It's commonly called "Duff". I read all about it in an issue of C.C.

Every single vaporizer company on the market will recommend to vape it untill it turns golden brown, this way you are guaranteed not to burn plant materiel, So if you follow these instructions your vaped bud will have the amount of trichomes equall to maybe, mids.

Now if I were to cook with the expensive nuggets that I vape with , that would be a waste.

After the material has been vaporized, you can collect all of this leftover "Duff" into a container. This "Duff", although missing almost all of its oils, still contains a small percentage. If one were motivated enough, there are a multitude of methods of extraction to concentrate the remaining oils. The variety and complicity of these techniques do not allow any details here, although the internet is a great resource for such information.

And check this out, here is the bud before being Vaped,
butter_11_1.jpg

And after, You can still see crystals everywhere if you zoom in.
butter_11_2.jpg

if i use a double boiler(water on bottom, butter & weed on top) do I have to let the butter solidify again or can i use the mixture as an oil? :peace:

Hey Hash, I've been doing what you do and I save all my vaped weed from my Volcano and I was curious about how much weed is needed to make some decent butter?... I have roughly 14 grams of vaped weed, but when you vaporize you are removing a lot of the moisture from the weed, thus reducing the weight/density of the plant, so its prolly somewhere closer to 18-20 grams worth of weed. Think thats enough to make a good batch of cannabutter?

I've been meaning to make some for a while now but never have the time... btw... you should post a guide on how to make some killer THC honey oil if you havent already, its way easy to make and I'm sure you could put together a good guide. I'd do it myself if I had a digiCam, let me know if you gots any questions, Peace.

Back
Top Bottom