How to prepare edibles for absolute fastest onset?

Scientific

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prepare cannabis edibles for fastest onset?

So far, it seems to me that an alcohol tincture on and empty stomach works fastest--onset in just under an hour.

The coconut oil extraction that I did is potent, but seems to take forever--hours--to come on.

I have read that lecithin helps, but one experiment didn't seem to prove that to be true.

I have also read that taking a dose with a fatty meal encourages uptake by lymph instead of blood in the digestive tract, which bypasses the liver's "first pass metabolism," but a test of that didn't seem to make any difference either.

People say that keeping it under your tongue makes it go right into your blood stream, but I have tried that a couple of times, keeping the dose under my tongue for 20 or 30 minutes without swallowing (hard to do) and then spitting it out, and nothing happened, so I suspect that the actual mechanism of absorption when dosing under the tongue is just swallowing the stuff followed by normal absorption through the digestive tract.

What are your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prepare cannabis edibles for fastest onset?

So far, it seems to me that an alcohol tincture on and empty stomach works fastest--onset in just under an hour.

The coconut oil extraction that I did is potent, but seems to take forever--hours--to come on.

I have read that lecithin helps, but one experiment didn't seem to prove that to be true.

I have also read that taking a dose with a fatty meal encourages uptake by lymph instead of blood in the digestive tract, which bypasses the liver's "first pass metabolism," but a test of that didn't seem to make any difference either.

People say that keeping it under your tongue makes it go right into your blood stream, but I have tried that a couple of times, keeping the dose under my tongue for 20 or 30 minutes without swallowing (hard to do) and then spitting it out, and nothing happened, so I suspect that the actual mechanism of absorption when dosing under the tongue is just swallowing the stuff followed by normal absorption through the digestive tract.

What are your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions?
I made some tincture with everclear n haven't had anything positive about it yet. I decarbed my herb let it soak for 18 days shaking daily kept in cool dark place. I'm not happy. I think it was a waste of my time.
I used 3.8 grams of quality herb in 3 ounces of 151 everclear.

I made some tincture with everclear n haven't had anything positive about it yet. I decarbed my herb let it soak for 18 days shaking daily kept in cool dark place. I'm not happy. I think it was a waste of my time.

The question is about how to make edibles work faster, but here's the math for your extraction: 3.8 grams at 15% THC gives 570 mg THC in 3 ounces (at 100% extraction), so a 10 mg dose should be .05 fluid ounce, so about 1.5 ml, which is about 30 .05 ml drops. If you're a heavy user, it will take more than 10 mg, but that's the standard dose in CO and WA. If taking 30 to 60 drops on an empty stomach isn't giving you any effect, you're either very "adapted" or you made a mistake somewhere along the way. I hope that helps.

Now can we get back to discussing how to increase speed of absorption? ;)

Do you think maybe it takes a little longer? I've read some people stash it away for two months or so.

As far as how you can make it absorb faster I'm not really sure how you could go about doing it. It all comes down to how the body breaks down the fat you've probably infused it with.

I'm interested but I'm not sure how else we can approach edibles. Sublingual seemed like the best idea to me, maybe you need to try a different form of sublingual? Maybe alcohol? Since we're talking about edibles there's only a limited amount of ways you can ingest something so we have to look at the preparation methods.
Alcohol extraction in various methods is one option, other oil extraction options are out there, eating the herb itself is another. Within those options there are a plethora of methods that change how THC and CBD is absorbed. It's hard to come up with a standard when everyone is different.
I like phoenix tears, AKA Rick Simpson oil. It seems to come on pretty quickly. When doing Rick Simpson oil it makes my house smell a lot less like cannabis and more like alcohol and plant material if I had to name the smell. The oil is pretty potent stuff and I get effects as quickly as 20 minutes on an empty stomach in some instances.

Hi, I just finished making tincture for the first time using around one and three quarters weed and trim with 2cups of ever clear. I had heard that some drops under the tongue would work the fastest. It was faster than my brownies (45 min) to about 20-25 minutes for under the tongue administration. That being said, it burned and made my tongue sore for a couple of days. so now I put about 8-10 drops in a little water before a meal (empty stomach), drink and wash down with any liquid (35 min).

Yeah, straight Everclear is not pleasant to have in the mouth.

I have experimented several times with under-the-tongue administration, and I personally think it's kind of an old wives tale. If I kept the tincture under my tongue and didn't swallow it, nothing happened, so I think it's not actually passing from the mouth into the blood vessels but just getting swallow and absorbed that way.

look up making Suppositories < u make them with some kind of shey or cocoa butter and u can buy molds on the net to make them and they work immediately, watch lots of youtube videos on it , its easy to do . there not edibles but that's the fastest way to medicate to kill pain.

look up making Suppositories < u make them with some kind of shey or cocoa butter and u can buy molds on the net to make them and they work immediately, watch lots of youtube videos on it , its easy to do . there not edibles but that's the fastest way to medicate to kill pain.

Thanks. The one article I read about that administration route (to put it clinically ;)), which I think was subtitled "Why the Posterior is Superior," had them using an enormous dose to get an effect, so besides the obvious downside, it just didn't look very efficient... I think they were mixing it with coco butter...

Well how NOT to speed up onset is to dose right after dinner. Last night at 6 PM after dinner I had two coconut oil capsules that usually hit in about an hour, but they didn't really kick in until I woke up very high at 3:30 AM. That means that taking them after a meal made them hit about 8 times slower.

I had read something recently that taking cannabis concentrates with a fatty mean enhances absorption. That may be true and the final blood level may be higher that way, but it takes forever to get there!

When I am cooking with canna butter, I make jolly ranchers. They are my favorite. I use sunflower lecithin as an emulsifier. This product makes the edibles kick in much faster. I have not used it with alcohol tinture but it does make a difference when using butter or olive oil

Well how NOT to speed up onset is to dose right after dinner. Last night at 6 PM after dinner I had two coconut oil capsules that usually hit in about an hour, but they didn't really kick in until I woke up very high at 3:30 AM. That means that taking them after a meal made them hit about 8 times slower.

I had read something recently that taking cannabis concentrates with a fatty mean enhances absorption. That may be true and the final blood level may be higher that way, but it takes forever to get there!

Interesting, I came to the opposite conclusion. I noticed that sometimes, after some edible failed to "kick in", eating something will do the trick.
I also saw good results with edibles right after eating.

My problem with edible right now is the results aren't consistent. What makes them kick in fast one day can fail the other. I wish I knew more about how it works.

I've had the same questions and experience Scientific, inconsistent results. My most common edible is home made vegetable glycerin gummies; they usually kick in about an hour after ingestion - with or without food. The consistent result is appreciated because I most often medicate at night to help with insomnia.

I also make infused coconut and olive oils (I add liquid sunflower lecithin to both). My tCheck meter says they're pretty potent, but like you, sometimes it takes HOURS to kick in. A couple of weeks ago I took a dose just before eating a bowl of Raisin Bran; it kicked in hard about 35 - 45 minutes later. I wish there was more solid data on the topic. Thanks for starting this thread.

The desired effect of edibles (brownies) for me is about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours( I can feel the onset in about 30 min. but full effect takes to much time) and I find that problematic in that I have to plan around this lengthy time onset hence I have 3 brownie cakes still in the freezer.
So I have tried using Everclear and fan leaf trim with good results. I put a 100 gm of dried and decarbed Fan leaves in 750 ml of 190 proof Everclear in a couple of quart sealers with the lids on and let sit for a week. Then strain the contents of the quart sealers threw 4 layers of cheese cloth into a large bowel. The end result is about 500 mil of ready to mix into what ever ETOH drink you can create. I find that the onset is effect is quicker as I can feel the effects in about 20-30 min and the desired effect is about 45 min. to a hour. The quicker onset and desired effect is produced by the ETOH as its quickly metabolized by the body and I assume the THC is carried by the ETOH hence a quicker onset.
I find the taste of the Chlorophyll a bit much so my drink consists of 3/4-1 ounce THC laced Everclear in a large pint glass lots of ice with about 1/2 the glass filled with lemonade and about 1/2 glass Ice Tea mix. I only take one drink per night as I don't need anymore couch time. I am going to try some of my buds next in the Everclear in order to decrease the volume of plant material hence maybe the Chlorophyll taste will not be as strong. I have used Fan leaves in both the Brownies and the Everclear as I just can't throw them out as waste........

I use 6g decarbed in 2 oz Everclear, water bath for a few minutes. Reduces to 1 Oz.

Onset starts in about 15 min and lasts several hours.

Well there it is :high-five:

ETOH + THC = Bigger buzz ;) now we have proof!

Okay, sorry. No more frigging around. lol

I'm going to quiz my dietitian sister. THC from the plant is oil based. Therefore it needs to take the oil based pathway of absorption. Through the lymphatic system. Not through the GI lining. A shot of straight alcohol will absorb through the stomach wall very quickly. Even if the THC is dissolved in ethanol, it wont absorb through that pathway with the alcohol. It will absorb onto the slower lymph system.

This may be physiological and not something that can be changed.

But this begs the question. Does an emulsifier like lecithin change the absorption of an oil base compound, so that maybe even some of the THC would cross the water based pathway?

Have a cookie ;)

Back
Top Bottom