Cannabis and increased heartbeat question

Cmoon

Hi,

I just want to throw this one out to you all, first because I am new to growing my own (I am in week 17 of my first grow and although it was a mess at first due to trying to grow too many plants in a tiny tent all is now OK and flowering/budding nicely) secondly because I have angina with narrowing of the arteries and hence an abnormally fast heartbeat. I should add that I don't smoke.

My question is fairly simple:- Does all cannabis increase your heart rate i.e. Sativa, Indica, high CBD, high THC etc.?

Use will be mainly for painkilling but I don't mind getting a bit of a high out of it too. I will be making tinctures at first and then rosin extraction when I can sort out a reasonably priced press.

Any help on this will be much appreciated as I've had enough of the crap poisons my quack throws at me thinking it solves the problem......It just don't!

Thanks to all

Respect, as always,

Cmoon :thumb:

Hey Cmoon -- I'm sorry to hear about the angina.

May I (as an older guy with health issues of his own...) suggest that you please ask not just an MD about this but an MD who is familiar with cannabis and its effects? I'm thinking a hippy cardiologist. ;)

Cannabis doesn't usually make my heart race (i.e. cause tachycardia), but sometimes (rarely) with a big dose, my heart really starts pounding for a while (and I don't smoke either--the last time it happened was after swallowing a big dose of cannabis infused coconut oil). That increasing of the heart rate seems like it could be a real issue for someone who already has tachycardia.

Here's a quote from an article on the website of the American College of Cardiology:

In patients with chronic stable angina, smoking a single marijuana cigarette decreased exercise time to angina by 48%. It is postulated that that marijuana-induced sympathetic stimulation increases myocardial oxygen demand. This, along with a decreased oxygen supply due to carboxyhemoglobin formation from inhalation of products of combustion in the marijuana cigarette, decreases the exercise capacity.

--Marijuana and Coronary Heart Disease - American College of Cardiology

I ain't no damn doctor, but that sounds potentially pretty serious to me.

Yeah, she's a flower and she's natural and she's from da earth, but she's also a potent medicine with multiple effects on the body, so give the bitch the respect she deserves. ;)

If you Google "cannabis tachycardia" lots of other stuff comes up.

Be well!

Wow!

Scientific, I really can't thank you enough for this information. I've been doing some reading up on this as you suggested, unfortunately for me it seems like I might have a real problem here. Very scary stuff indeed & trying to find a doctor here who will give you real advice with the knowledge to back it up is going to very hard to find, but I have to do it. I might go private, as we have the NHS here and they I am certain will not give the complete truth in case it should backfire on them for any reason.

Oh man, I hope all this (growing my own) is not in vain, I had psycologically built myself up to believe that some pain relief was only a few weeks or months away.

In the end it will probably be take the risk or continue in agony without.

Really my friend, thank you for passing on this info, I'll do my homework & try and find a quack who knows anything about the subject. Don't forget that here in the UK just owning cannabis can lead you to five years in prison.

Respect.....As always.

Cmoon

Hey Cmoon -- I'm sorry to hear about the angina.

May I (as an older guy with health issues of his own...) suggest that you please ask not just an MD about this but an MD who is familiar with cannabis and its effects? I'm thinking a hippy cardiologist. ;)

Cannabis doesn't usually make my heart race (i.e. cause tachycardia), but sometimes (rarely) with a big dose, my heart really starts pounding for a while (and I don't smoke either--the last time it happened was after swallowing a big dose of cannabis infused coconut oil). That increasing of the heart rate seems like it could be a real issue for someone who already has tachycardia.

Here's a quote from an article on the website of the American College of Cardiology:

In patients with chronic stable angina, smoking a single marijuana cigarette decreased exercise time to angina by 48%. It is postulated that that marijuana-induced sympathetic stimulation increases myocardial oxygen demand. This, along with a decreased oxygen supply due to carboxyhemoglobin formation from inhalation of products of combustion in the marijuana cigarette, decreases the exercise capacity.

--Marijuana and Coronary Heart Disease - American College of Cardiology

I ain't no damn doctor, but that sounds potentially pretty serious to me.

Yeah, she's a flower and she's natural and she's from da earth, but she's also a potent medicine with multiple effects on the body, so give the bitch the respect she deserves. ;)

If you Google "cannabis tachycardia" lots of other stuff comes up.

Be well!

Hello Cmoon I hope this finds you well. Hello to you too Scientific, I've come across a few of your posts and I respect the time you have for people and how you explain things to those who wish to know :)

SweetSue is an encyclopaedia on pain and ways to get the effect and benefits contained in cannabis without smoking. Plus she's one of the friendliest and most knowledgable persons you could hope to meet on 420 :)

trying to find a doctor here who will give you real advice with the knowledge to back it up is going to very hard to find

Yeah, I hear ya, but one thing I have learned in running the medical gantlet lately is that there are some truly awesome people in the healthcare biz, and not just docs but nurses and technicians, too.

One thing that has surprised me is that even here in a state where both medical and recreational marijuana are legal, most docs are kind of reluctant to talk about it. I think they worry about compromising their medical reputation by association with a drug that is still associated with the back alley and criminality.

Happily, there is a ton of info out there on the Internet (though half of it seems like BS).

Good luck in your search for knowledge and good health to both of us! :)

Thank you Joe for adding to the conversation. Scientific is wealth of information and a good guy all said & done, he has helped me a lot. How would I contact SweetSue to ask her a question or two?

I sure hope that ingesting the CBD THC (low) will make a difference than smoking it as some of the poisons/carcinogens are from the burning tobaco and the cigarette paper & since I don't smoke?........I hope it will make a difference.

Respect.....As Always

Cmoon

Thank you Joe for adding to the conversation. Scientific is wealth of information and a good guy all said & done, he has helped me a lot. How would I contact SweetSue to ask her a question or two?

I sure hope that ingesting the CBD THC (low) will make a difference than smoking it as some of the poisons/carcinogens are from the burning tobaco and the cigarette paper & since I don't smoke?........I hope it will make a difference.

Respect.....As Always

Cmoon

Organizing SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall

Organizing SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall

I'm sorry for your troubles mate, have a look at SweetSue's thread. I don't know what sort of knowledge you have of cannabis so it might seem a bit daunting and complete waffle if it's words and terms you haven't heard before.

My friend has a terminal brain tumour and has never touched puff in any form all his life. He started using the oil capsules after finding someone online in the UK. After a month the...had to compose myself there...I honestly don't know how to describe this soulless individual.

The somewhat 'unscrupulous capsule seller' suddenly claimed various factors had led to the price of capsules rising to £600 for a fortnights worth.

After speaking to Sue (and many other people as to where I could find aforementioned capsule seller) I was informed that my pal was being severely ripped off and the process is quite simple.

Have a look mate and I hope you feel better

I was wondering about this myself as I have been using CBD and particularly CBDa capsules legally available to buy here in the UK, and if it is just for pain relief you might well get away with just using these, even if they aren't as much fun. A doctor could advise you on these; they are legal but sold as "food supplements" - but on the other hand the doctor might not actually know much about them.

The different brands seem to vary - one (CBDa) at the low dose of 25mg daily, switched off the numb, wooden sensation in my foot resulting from chemotherapy - just switched it off like flicking a light switch, although it returned when I ran out of those particular capsules. Another brand - CBD this time - similarly reduced my long-standing tinnitus to a whisper although this too was only temporary. However, recent operation scars started weeping again and bruises which hadn't been shifting turned bright red and began to break up. I concluded that something was being done to my circulation and went on line to find out about it; I couldn't find much as most of what was there was about THC and was biased towards making it look dangerous - but it does seem that cannabis can somehow open up your blood vessels or smooth the passage of blood in some way so that although the heart beats faster the blood flows more easily? Someone likened it to putting a car into a lower gear. That's how I understood it, anyway. It advised against hard exercise while using cannabis as the heart is already working harder.

I think this was the most useful site - I hope it is OK to link to it here?

Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis

I think this was the most useful site - I hope it is OK to link to it here?

Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis

I thought this at the end of the article was interesting: "Cannabis increases heart rate in naive users <that is, people who don't use it a lot> although tolerance develops to this effect."

The last time my heart raced on pot was after what was (for me) a really big oral dose when I had not been using it very much for a long time. The takeaway message would seem to be to build up slowly if a racing heart is an issue (and to talk to your doc if you have heart disease, though I suspect most docs don't know much about cannabis and its effects--mine gets uncomfortable just talking about it, as though doing so might compromise her professionally, even though cannabis is legal here.)

If I even mentioned cannabis my quack would fall off her chair!!

I think the position of cannabis is all over the map in the medical community. As I said, my primary care doc got extremely uncomfortable when I mentioned it, but my oncologist wrote me an official hospital prescription when I was getting chemo.

I suspect that here in the US in another 10 years or so cannabis will be legal in enough places that it will be taken off of schedule 1 and researchers will finally be able to study it! It's about time!

Very informative link Nixie, thanks.

There's a lot of interesting arguments going on about this subject but I found as you did, that 90% of it is geared up for people who just want to get stoned......Smackheads, "how much THC does it have blah blah blah" "my weed is stronger than your weed", anon........

When I started out on this venture I had one aim only:- To find a painkiller that does me less harm than all the rubbish I take now (excluding alcohol of course!)

I doubt there's a Dr in my neck of the woods that's even heard of taking cannabis for pain relief. .....I'll leave it there I think because I have an awful lot to lose if my Dr should let on to the authorities that govern me and my pursuits. Unfortunately she may be required by law to 'inform'.

Thanks again, take care

Respect, as always

Cmoon.

Unfortunately she may be required by law to 'inform'.

In the US, I don't think that would be an issue? You could always ask the doc, and maybe ask for the discussion to be kept out of the medical record? I really trust my doctors and think they want the best for me. If you don't feel that way about yours, you should try to find a doctor that you do feel like you can trust!

I think the position of cannabis is all over the map in the medical community. As I said, my primary care doc got extremely uncomfortable when I mentioned it, but my oncologist wrote me an official hospital prescription when I was getting chemo.

I suspect that here in the US in another 10 years or so cannabis will be legal in enough places that it will be taken off of schedule 1 and researchers will finally be able to study it! It's about time!

Good to hear from you again Scientific. I like your quote but for one word......Sorry, but the names for weed strains are TOTALLY meaningless. I hope I find you as well as you can be bud.

What did you make of the link 'Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis'? For me it did contain some very relevant facts of the affects on the heart. As I said, when I set out to do this thing I just had the one goal........To be in less pain and to stop taking poisons from the NHS (Okay that was two points)

If I own up to my Doctor that I'm growing weed (I'm in the UK) my life would effectively be over. I'm not sure that she would shop me to my bosses/authorities but I am legally bound to let them see my medical records at any time they bloody well like! You see my predicament?

You're a kind soul and you've helped me a lot, for no gain, thank you. Now for a very quick rant!

How the HELL can I speed up my grow? it is now week 21 I have only four plants left as I had to give some away. One plant is showing trichomes the other three haven't yet shown a brown or amber pistel. As from today I've stopped all nutes and they now get RO water at pH5.4 (I try and keep it a little low as the coco coir tends to raise the pH considerably if I let it. I have also added three more LED (supposed 300W equivilent) light units but they don't seem to be speeding things up at all.

Phew! This has been a steep learing curve which I have learnt many things (one being not to cook the plants until I take them down) but they have grown back with revenge!

Well, time for a kip as it is early. Take care mate

Respect, as always

Cmoon

You are right. I have thought about it a lot and will go down the route of keeping it off record, and keep my fingers tightly crossed.

Cheers

Cmoon

> Sorry, but the names for weed strains are TOTALLY meaningless.
LOL, yeah, but I think people really like giving and using trippy names for plants. I saw a woman being interviewed as part of a push by growers to get more women using and so buying their product in a legal state (Colorado, I think). The one thing that she reacted negatively too was the names that seem to be designed to appeal to adolescent males. So I guess the marketers will come up with some female friendly names, and what I buy as "Green Crack" they will buy as "Moon Goddess Healing Herbs" or some such. ;)

> I hope I find you as well as you can be bud.
As it happens, I just met with my pot-prescribing oncologist a couple of days ago. I'm three years out from diagnosis and still cancer-free so no complaints! :thumb: Cancer treatment has improved a LOT recently, and the advent of immunotherapies is really exciting. Radiation therapy is getting to star wars levels of sophistication, all computer guided and super focused. All very good news. (Oh, and the nausea control is so good now that people eat lunch while getting chemo, which amazes me.)

I thought that cardiovascular info looked pretty right on.

Bummer about the legal situation in the UK. I get the feeling the things are changing over there as well and that soon a more enlightened attitude will prevail. I can tell you that when we legalized here in my state I was *astonished.* Things sure have changed, and changed quickly, so there's hope...

> How the HELL can I speed up my grow?
Maybe next time try an autoflower? Mine went from seed to harvest in just 11 weeks! And you can give them light 24 hours a day throughout the grow! Just one dwarf plant grown hydroponically with lots of light gave me an surprising amount of product.

More lights may not speed things up but they will sure increase yield and quality (and your electric bill).

> Phew! This has been a steep learning curve
Yeah, but once you learn it, you've got it. And my flowers and vegetables have benefited considerably from my increased knowledge as well. ;) The amaryllis on my windowsill had a yellowing leaf the other day and I immediately recognized that it has simply used up all its fertilizer after the summer spent growing in a small pot. A shot of FloraGro got it back on track right away. ;)

Take care and be well! :)

Hey Joe, Was just checking in and remembered you had a pall with a brain tumor and I was wondering how he was doing? I hope you don't mind me asking.

My only update is my remaining two 5ft tall trees are starting to show nice clear-opaque trichomes after 31 weeks. It's about time but at least I learned a lot with the help from you all on here. Take care budd,

Cmoon

With respect.....always.

> Sorry, but the names for weed strains are TOTALLY meaningless.
LOL, yeah, but I think people really like giving and using trippy names for plants. I saw a woman being interviewed as part of a push by growers to get more women using and so buying their product in a legal state (Colorado, I think). The one thing that she reacted negatively too was the names that seem to be designed to appeal to adolescent males. So I guess the marketers will come up with some female friendly names, and what I buy as "Green Crack" they will buy as "Moon Goddess Healing Herbs" or some such. ;)

> I hope I find you as well as you can be bud.
As it happens, I just met with my pot-prescribing oncologist a couple of days ago. I'm three years out from diagnosis and still cancer-free so no complaints! :thumb: Cancer treatment has improved a LOT recently, and the advent of immunotherapies is really exciting. Radiation therapy is getting to star wars levels of sophistication, all computer guided and super focused. All very good news. (Oh, and the nausea control is so good now that people eat lunch while getting chemo, which amazes me.)

I thought that cardiovascular info looked pretty right on.

Bummer about the legal situation in the UK. I get the feeling the things are changing over there as well and that soon a more enlightened attitude will prevail. I can tell you that when we legalized here in my state I was *astonished.* Things sure have changed, and changed quickly, so there's hope...

> How the HELL can I speed up my grow?
Maybe next time try an autoflower? Mine went from seed to harvest in just 11 weeks! And you can give them light 24 hours a day throughout the grow! Just one dwarf plant grown hydroponically with lots of light gave me an surprising amount of product.

More lights may not speed things up but they will sure increase yield and quality (and your electric bill).

> Phew! This has been a steep learning curve
Yeah, but once you learn it, you've got it. And my flowers and vegetables have benefited considerably from my increased knowledge as well. ;) The amaryllis on my windowsill had a yellowing leaf the other day and I immediately recognized that it has simply used up all its fertilizer after the summer spent growing in a small pot. A shot of FloraGro got it back on track right away. ;)

Take care and be well! :)

Hi Scientific. Hope I find you well.

My two Very big plants are almost ready to be harvested, My only update is my remaining two 5ft tall trees are starting to show nice clear-opaque trichomes after 31 weeks. It's about time but at least I learned a lot with the help from you all on here. Since I'm going to make mainly edibles I'm giving them a 7 day soak in RO water (changing the water every day) so am looking forward to the next few weeks experimenting. With thanks.

Cmoon

Respect.....as always.

Back
Top Bottom