Coconut oil storage

basiltherat

Hi,

I cooked up a plant and put it in some melted coconut oil. After 2 weeks it started smelling awful. Should I have kept it in the fridge or is this just how long it keeps for? I used to brew a lot of beer so took a few steps to make sure nothing nasty got in. But normal coconut oil doesn't go off, so I was a bit confused.

Thanks,
G

I keep my coconut oil in the fridge, but it's a stable, saturated oil so that shouldn't be necessary since saturated oils shouldn't go rancid.

Sorry, but I have to guess that the problem was with your prep.

Did you possibly overheat the oil? That would be my guess.

And regarding "something nasty," again, with a saturated oil like that, nothing can grow in it, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I keep my coco oils in the fridge also. I use canning jars in general because they are nice and thick. When I want some oil I just place the closed jar in 1/2 up boiling water for a few minutes and it melts. Job done!

BUT I have prepped and left oil out on the counter for easily 2 weeks with no problems (was in a normal glass with plastic wrap over it). Might be the prep as Scientific said above or something got in after.

Back
Top Bottom