All About Terpene Supplements: Holy Grail Thread Spin-off

Oldbear

This is a new thread created by popular demand :)

Terpenes are available for sale from multiple retailers. They come premixed to match popular strains. They also come as individual concentrates (just like essential oils).

I am no expert in this by any means, but a very interested party in increasing my understanding of how to use them.

Some suggested topics, by no means a complete list:

What are the medical and/or recreational benefits of terpene supplements?

What concentration is best? How much to add to a batch of x of size y to get the desired end result?

Are terpenes dangerous? Can someone take too much based on the recommended concentration? Is there any downside to long term use of terpene supplements?

What can these be added to? Possible better question is there anything they can't be added to?

Hopefully many people will find their way here and join in.

Thanks OB,
I'm in. And on page one.That is probably a first.

Where is BCDD?

FWIW I have almost 1/2 a gram of Grand Daddy Purp "TurpSugar" in CBD isolet that I intend to add into a batch of high CBDA and THCA coconut oil caps I am ready to make after I pull a sample for a potency test and make up a few as they are to compare.

I never know

This is a new thread created by popular demand :)

Terpenes are available for sale from multiple retailers. They come premixed to match popular strains. They also come as individual concentrates (just like essential oils).

I am no expert in this by any means, but a very interested party in increasing my understanding of how to use them.

Some suggested topics, by no means a complete list:

What are the medical and/or recreational benefits of terpene supplements?

What concentration is best? How much to add to a batch of x of size y to get the desired end result?

Are terpenes dangerous? Can someone take too much based on the recommended concentration? Is there any downside to long term use of terpene supplements?

What can these be added to? Possible better question is there anything they can't be added to?

Hopefully many people will find their way here and join in.
Decarbing, extraction, and/or infusion may destroy or alter terpenes so adding them back in is a topic.

Another is for strains not available in all areas; possibly even selectively altering an oil or extract from one variety to another (okay, that might be the advanced class).

Cheers from the darkside

Many, many thanx oldbear. I'm the worlds worst procrastinator and would have been probably days in making a move.

Thank you for taking the initiative and making a new home for us.

For the benefit of the newcomers to the show, please allow me to transfer some of our old posts that will be pertinent.

For starters:

for those interested in terpene additives, here's some info And experience I've gleaned recently. These are a couple of posts I shared on another forum a while back.

This is probably going to be classified as a TMI post so I'll give those with limited patience a little tease and say I'm enamored enough with these additives that I'm not going to be too concerned with terpene retention in my cannabis processing any longer.

I'm one of the biggest cynics you'll ever encounter but often an inquisitive mind will be the overruling factor. So is the case in this instance but I'm still a bit anal about putting unknown chemicals in my body. So I did a good bit of research and would like to share what I've found.

I'm a big fan of Dr Ethan Russo. While I don't think he's considered the "father" of the entourage effect, he's been a very instrumental proponent and researcher of the theory. In a recent interview, I was a little disillusioned when he rather emphatically came down against terpene isolates. Being pressed a bit further, he confessed it wasn't so much the terpenes themselves that garnered his concerns, but the unknown contaminants that they contained.

Purity ratings of terpene isolates range from 95-99%. There's no legal mandate for manufacturers to identify that remaining 1-5% mystery ingredient, a definite point of concern. Excluding synthesized terpenes, isolates can be derived from three sources; cannabis, various plant matter and byproducts of petroleum distillation. Contamination from the residue of petroleum distillation is a little alarming and something I'd prefer to steer clear of. Unfortunately, manufacturers aren't required to divulge the source their product and some liberties taken by some of the marketers can be a bit misleading. In fact, I ran across one brand that touted their product was organic even though it was derived from a petroleum product. Their rationale was crude oil was organic! Additionally, beware of Chinese imports. They are typically the lowest purity rating and who knows what these contaminates are or from what the isolates are derived.

While I initially thought I'd prefer an isolate extracted from cannabis, I can find no conflicting evidence that terpenes are terpenes are terpenes! When I started sourcing some cannabis extracts, the price convinced me to consider alternative products. Check Blue River Terpenes site. At $60-150 for .25ml, that figures out to $15-20 per DROP and up! Thanx but I'll pass.

My quest turned quickly to finding a domestic source for a product derived from plant matter other than cannabis. A lot of companies are marketing a product from True Terpene. I think this company wholesales to these various marketers and gives them some type of licensing agreement for their product, but you can also buy directly from True Terpene at a fairly reasonable price.

In spite of this rather alarming warning on their site, after some research I did place an order with them:

DANGER

Flammable liquid and vapor. Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep cool. Store locked up. Keep away from heat / sparks / open flames / hot surfaces. No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Ground / bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical / ventilating / lighting / equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. In case of fire: Use dry sand, dry chemical or alcohol-resistant foam for extinction. May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. Causes skin irritation and may cause an allergic skin reaction. Avoid breathing dust / fume / gas / mist / vapours / spray. Wash skin thoroughly after handling. Contaminated work clothing should not be allowed out of the workplace. Avoid release to the environment. Wear protective gloves / eye protection / face protection. IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor / physician. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove / Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water / shower. Do NOT induce vomiting. If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice / attention. Take off contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Harmful to aquatic life. Dispose of contents / container to an approved waste disposal plant.

A bit unsettling, huh?!? They go to great lengths in their FAQ section in an attempt to reassure safety. Still a bit dubious but Ben Cassidy, the COO, says it's a legal MSDS requirement for bulk amounts. Also, he contends the 1% impurity in their product is simply an alternate terpene due to less than 100% refraction efficiency of the steam distillation process. They also have a GRAS certification for oral ingestion or topical use. Inhalation, however, doesn't have a comparable blessing.

I found most of the more poplar profiles from True Terpene were under $20 per ounce, some a bit pricier. The limonene and alpha pinene came to only $25. I was a bit taken aback, however, by the $15 shipping charge. The majority of the cost turned out to be in the required packaging for flammable material.

When I opened the limonene, I was greeted with an instant and overwhelming aroma of citrus. I added 3 drops to my tincture bottle containing 20-25 ml. That's slightly less than the recommended minimum mixture ratio. I added my normal dose to my coffee without great expectations. To my surprise, however, the effect had a definite added dimension to it. I had a heady, buzzy feeling with a bit of a body rush that I don't usually experience. It left me a little edgy and I'd stop short of saying it was a pleasant enhancement to my tincture.

The next day I added an additional 3 drops of the alpha pinene to the same mixture. When I had my morning wake up coffee, I found this mixture most rewarding. A very relaxed feeling with a definite elevated mood. I don't think I'd call it energetic but motivational would probably be a more appropriate description. I found myself spontaneously taking care of small chores that I would have normally passed up.
I think this is probably going to be a good mixture for dealing with depression and anxiety.

In summation, I'll give Terpene isolates a definite two big :thumb::thumb: albeit potentially a little confusing with all the options available. There's a company that's marketing premixed solutions to mimic specific strains. Possibly a better option for some but at $25 per 2ml that works out to $375 per ounce as compared to $11-20 per ounce for individual profiles.

Hope you'll find this helpful.

BCDD

BCDD,
True Terpenes had page and a half interview/review/promo near the back of "Terpenes and Testing"s Nov/Dec issue. It is a trade magazine the testing lab I use has handouts of. The mag has a web site with a some good info.

According to the article, "All of there products are sourced from organic plants and produced in the United States." They are based in Portland.

This paragraph was interesting.
"Cassiday and the staff at TT use steam extraction and fractional distillation, similar to what's used for cannabis extraction, for most of their terpene isolations. However They're in the process of finalizing a patent for a Cryogenic technique that utilizes low temperature to increase the extraction process of many terpeness, which become volatile around room temperature. The patent and process have been turned into a new piece of equipment which the Pacific Northwest'based extraction company plans to sell in the future."

The previous post was back in November and I've been enjoying this combination for the last couple of months.

I eventually got over my frugality and opted for some of the much more expensive blends. They arrived on 1/31.

My order arrived this afternoon. I have four strain related blends mimicking Pineapple Express, Durban Poison, O.G. Tahoe, and O.G. Dogwalker. Durban Poison in a Blue Dream tincture is going to be my first test platform. After adding the terpenes to an oil or alcohol tincture, its recommended to let it rest for 24-48 hrs to allow for complete dispersion. Morning coffee time is going to mark about 18 hrs and that's gonna have to do!

My review the following morning:

Holy crap boys and girls!! I wish I could magically teleport a little sample of this to each and everyone of you!

I put 2 drops of the blended Durban Poison in a half ounce of Blue Dream tincture I've been enjoying. It's totally beyond my imagination how such a minute amount of anything can have such a drastic effect.

The first thing that I noticed was the incredibly fast on set. As I was swallowing my second sip of coffee I began noticing a slight head buzz. Initially, I discounted it as a placebo effect induced by overwhelming expectations but the feeling continued to soar. After a continual level elevation, about five minutes in I realized it was definitely for real.

The only way I can account for such a rapid on set is attribution to lingual, sublingual and buccul absorption directly into the blood stream. There's absolutely no way it could have undergone assimilation in the digestive tract, metabolization by the liver and uptake by the the ECS system inside of 2 minutes. A real curiosity I'd like to explore further.

This has presented a total head buzz. No body relaxation at all. Just a very clear headed feeling with a definite elevation in mood. It's short of a euphoria but I occasionally have to bite my tongue a bit to avoid breaking out in a big ear to ear grin. I'm a big music aficionado and almost always have a set of earbuds hanging from my ears while I'm out and about by myself. Nothing out of the ordinary this morning until I suddenly realized I was singing along to the stupid lyrics of "We all live in a yellow submarine". Really out of context for me!

I've noticed a slight pressure in my temple area that comes and goes. Nothing that I would consider uncomfortable but yet a point of a little annoyance.

At my stage of life I feel the use of the term "energetic" is a little inappropriate. I'll have to admit, however, I actually started composing this post over an hour ago but but experienced an incessant urge to just get up and do something. I grabbed my string trimmer and went down to the common area of our development and topped the vastly overgrown big blue liriope. Something I've felt needed doing for a long while. Hope the homeowners association agrees!

One of the assets I've enjoyed with using a cannabis medication is the elimination of the constant joint pain associated with the aging process. My products have been largely effective in this area except when we're at our mountain home. Constantly navigating over three floors during the course of the day takes a toll on my old knees that have suffered a lifetime of abuse of hard work and even harder play. I've definitely noticed a decrease in the little nagging discomfort but am going to hold short of attributing it to the addition of the terpenes just yet.

The one thing that I'm missing from this is an increased since of awareness. I wouldn't classify this as a good potion to curl up in front of the tv and really get into a good movie. If this was included in the package, it would absolutely be over the top.

I'm going up shortly to share a couple of drops with a close member of my posse and hopefully I'll be able to give you a second assessment tomorrow.

I'm going to say this is definitely a really good blend for getting things done and enjoying it. With slight reservations, this morning has been one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had with any of my ingestible cannabis concoctions I've had in the past couple of years.

Folks, put terpene additives high on your list of things to try!

Tomorrow's platform of experimentation is going to be Pineapple Express in a tincture of Dance World, a 1:1 thc:cbd.

Luvin' this!!

BCDD

Subscribed: Thank you Oldbear & BCDD

:cco::smokin::cco::love:

On our sister thread I told oldbear that I was going to hold short on recommending True terpenes because of a discrepancy I found.
IMG_02531.PNG

This a wheel from their site showing terpene content of the Durban Poison blend I got. Notice almost 75% terpene content is terpinolene. This is a terpene that I wasn't familiar with when I made my purchase nor when I initially used it and I made a comment that I was going to hold off doing research on it until after I tried it to avoid suggestive bias. After the fact I found the only psychological effect attributed this particular terpene was sedation and has been used for years to treat insomnia, totally opposite of what I experienced and not even close to the Durban Poison reviews I've found.

IMG_02541.PNG

Now take a look at cannabinoid and terpene content from Steep Hill Labs fingerprint analysis of Durban Poison. Not even close to what True Terpenes site is representing.

So far, True Terpenes has had excellent customer service and answered all my questions satisfactorily and promptly. I'm definitely going to inquire about the discrepancy and find out what is the data source they're drawing from to replicate their strain mimicking blends. I'll post their response when I follow up next week.

I'm also going to do some more comparisons on some of their other blends to see if discrepancies exist throughout their product line or if this is an isolated instance.

Great info, I've often wondered about these extracts. I've seen them used to make beer, I always figured it a gimmick used for flavor but now I wonder.

Great info, I’ve often wondered about these extracts. I’ve seen them used to make beer, I always figured it a gimmick used for flavor but now I wonder.

I'm a dedicated cynic and just knew this potion was simply another form of snake oil and a new way to get on the other side of my money. I vacillated for a long while before giving it a try but after testing it for a couple of months I have no regrets.

Glad you have dropped by and hope you enjoy your stay. I'm anxious to expand our trial base and hope you'll join us in our experimentations.

Back
Top Bottom