Cannabis & Dogs Do Not Mix

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Warning to all folks who think it funny to give a dog Cannabis. DON"T It can be a terrifying experience for an animal.

TESTING CANNABIS ON DOGS

Through the courtesy of Messrs. Parke. Davis and Co., manufacturing chemists of London and Detroit. Michigan, U.S.A., we are enabled to reproduce a clear pharmacological study of the drug by E. M. Houghton, Ph.C., M.D.; and H. C. Hamilton. M.S (Excerpt from an article in the "American Journal of Pharmacy" for January 1908.) From several samples of Cannabis Americana fluid, extracts and solid extracts were prepared according to the U.S.P., and were tested upon animals for physiological activity.

The method of assay, which has previously been called to the attention of this Society, is that which one of us (Houghton) devised and has employed for the past twelve years. This method consists essentially in the careful observation of the physiological effects produced upon dogs from the internal administration of the preparation of the drug under test.

In applying the test, the standard dose (0.01 gram per kilo weight) (in form of solid extract for convenience) is administered internally in a small capsule. The dog's tongue is drawn forward between the teeth with the left hand and the capsule placed on the back part of the tongue with the right hand. The tongue is then quickly released and the capsule is swallowed with ease. In order that the drug may be rapidly absorbed, food should be withheld for twenty-four hours before the test and an efficient cathartic given if needed.

Within a comparatively short time the dog begins to show the characteristic action of the drug. There are three typical effects to be noticed from active extracts on susceptible animals: first a stage excitability, then a stage of inco-ordination, followed by a period of drowsiness.. The first of these is so dependent on the characteristics of the dog used that it's of little value for judging the activity of the drug, while with only a few exceptions the second, or the stage of inco-ordination, invariably follows in one or two hours; the dog loses control of its legs and of the muscles supporting its head, so that when nothing occurs to attract its attention its head will droop, its body sway, and, when severely affected, the animal will stagger and fall, the intoxication being peculiarly suggestive and striking.

When an active extract is given to a susceptible animal, in the smallest dose that will produce any perceptible effect, one must watch closely for the slightest trace of incoordination, lack of attention. or drowsiness. It is particularly necessary for the animals to be confined in a room there nothing will excite them, since when their attention is drawn to anything of interest the typical effect of the drug may disappear.

Previous to the adoption of the physiological test over twelve years ago, we were often annoyed by complaints of physicians that certain lots of drugs were inert; in fact some hospitals, before accepting their supplies of hemp preparations, asked for samples in order to make rough tests upon their patients before ordering. Since the adoption of the test we have not had a well-authenticated report of inactivity, although many tons of the various preparations of Cannabis Indica have been tested and supplied for medicinal purposes.

At the beginning of our observations careful search of the literature on the subject was made to determine the toxicity of the hemp. Not a single case of fatal poisoning have we been able to find reported, although often alarming symptoms may occur.

A dog weighting 25 pounds received an injection of two ounces of an active U.S.P. fluid extract in the jugular vein with the expectation that it would certainly be sufficient to produce death. To our surprise the animal, after being unconscious for about a day and a half, recovered completely. This dog received. not alone the active constituents of the drug, but also the amount of alcohol contained in the fluid extract. Another dog received about 7 grams of Solid Extract Cannabis with the same result. We have never been able to give an animal a sufficient quantity of a U.S.P. or other preparation of the Cannabis (Indica Arnericana) to produce death.

re: Cannabis & Dogs Do Not Mix

A friend of mine has a pitt bull that will actually walk up to people and scratch at their pockets if they have weed. He even takes hits. He seems to be enjoying himself. Cats love it, too. My husband had this cat named Buzz and he would go to each person for a hit as they passed a joint around!

While I couldn't find myself blowing hits into a dog's face, this article disappoints me a bit. Dogs can suffer from anxiety disorders that I'd hope could be treated with a cannabis dog biscuit.

I guess I'll keep my weed with the chocolates and other goodies dogs can't have.:smokin:

you always post interesting articles Moose!

im going with evanescence on this one i to have a pitbull and over the years she a became a stoney pet, she will actually inhale hard through her nose when u blow smoke in her face and then she sneezes a few times and starts running around all giddy.

she knows what i mean when i say "wanna get high"(thinks of cheech and chong movie with the parrot, wanna get high, wanna get high lol)

Well, I agree it is not for all dogs. However, I had a lab and let me tell you she was the original party animal. When I was growing up and me and my buddies would smoke, she would literally go from person to person and we would give her shot gun hits. If you were smoking and she was anywhere nearby she would come right up to you and beg for a hit.

As she got older, she could not walk too well since she had hip displacia. She spent most of her time lying on her bed and would only get up to eat and go outside. However, anytime we were smoking, if she caught a whiff, she would get up and even walk down stairs to get some of the good stuff. I know it may sound bad to some people, but you could not turn her down because if you saw this dog you would know that she liked to get high.

Unfortunately, she had to be put down about two months ago. So the night before she was going to be but down, my bro bought her a couple of steaks and a bunch of dog treats and got her high on last time. She was the nicest and coolest dogs I have ever known. Too bad they don't live as long as us. R.I.P., Ebony the original party animal.

mmjmike

Doesn't hurt to try. I am sure if your dog is in pain, as mine was its last few years, it provides pain relief. How well they like it I think really depends on the dog. I have gotten the lab I own now high once and I could tell she did not like it, so I have never tried it again.

Maybe you will have better luck if you let your dog eat it rather than smoking it. I think my last dog was special that she was able to take shot gun hits and not freak out. I think the whole shot gun think kind of freaked out my current dog.

My lab/malamute has some form of cancer. It's not life threatening yet (May never be) but she is getting tumors. I am thinking about treating her with Cannabis seed and maybe some cannabutter, but I am unsure.

I so sorry for those of you who have sick pets. I think that treatment would work well on a dog because that have cannabinoid resceptors just like every other mammal, so I don't believe it would harm your dog. In fact, it may provide him with a better quality of life. :peace:

I give my kitty leaves sometimes. She likes it. But she does not like the smoke...I really havent given her a shotgun.....but she leaves the room everytime I light one up.

A dog might seem like it likes to get high, but you must first understand the way a dog thinks. The dog's behavior is attributed to its need for attention. Even when I'm eating a salad and I know my dog won't eat veggies, she still begs. It is a psychological thing that you people are confusing as a desire to be stoned. Even if it seems like the dog likes it, you don't know that for a fact. It is WRONG to get a dog stoned! I do agree, however, that if the dog is experiencing life-threatening pain, cannabis may help - but only in food form. Exposing an animal to any kind of smoke is cruelty in my eyes - especially when it is for your sick amusement. It saddens me that people can't be more responsible, especially with other lives.

I don't intentionally get my dogs high. But that contact does affect them. They are older and have a little joint pain, but I'd tend to give them aspirin. I just noticed though, that my dogs walk around with munchies, all the time. I'm not talkin about the usual scavenging thru garbage and such. These doggies get really hungry. It's funny when you realize what they're feeling is munchies. But of course I have to watch what they eat.

Reading this the only trouble I have with passing it on to my four legged friends is that they are not capable of making their own decision on the matter, nor understanding whats happening to them once their messed up.

I have the same problem with any drug and animals though. Sometimes it's necessary and as the responsible party you have to make the decision.

But the symptoms described do not seem to be any different than any I've exhibited after smoking way too much...

Heck my first experience with a concentrate was 3 keif bowls. I had couch lock sooooo bad... I couldn't move... or speak. My friends declared me officially tardo and left me alone with some music for a couple hours. After awhile I regained control and rejoined the group. (we were all in the same room... I was just in a different place.)

I would expect a dogs tolerance to be much lower with anything... Their physical senses are also what we would consider heightened... stronger sense of smell, hearing etc.

We are also still trying to understand the difference in nervous systems, I understand now that research is pointing to a different way of processing things like pain, and it has to do with a lack of any concept of time, but what ever I'm not a vet or a psychologist.

"the standard dose (0.01 gram per kilo weight) (in form of solid extract for convenience) is administered internally in a small capsule." I get way higher for a lot longer when I medicate with eddibles....

"In order that the drug may be rapidly absorbed, food should be withheld for twenty-four hours before the test and an efficient cathartic given if needed." Sure bring your test subject to a weakened state and make sure it hits as hard and fast as possible... what happens when we drink on an empty stomach... I know I get way drunk way quicker...

"There are three typical effects to be noticed from active extracts on susceptible animals: first a stage excitability, then a stage of inco-ordination, followed by a period of drowsiness.. The first of these is so dependent on the characteristics of the dog used that it's of little value for judging the activity of the drug,"

I laugh, I'm clumsy, I fall asleep... sounds like a after work toke too me... Also notice

"the first of these is so dependent on the characteristics of the dog used that it's of little value for judging the activity of the drug,""

Isn't that the same for humans...

"It is particularly necessary for the animals to be confined in a room there nothing will excite them, since when their attention is drawn to anything of interest the typical effect of the drug may disappear."

Also the same... If I have nothing to do or see... I go to sleep... Give me a guitar, an LP, heck a video game and I zone...

"We have never been able to give an animal a sufficient quantity of a U.S.P. or other preparation of the Cannabis (Indica Arnericana) to produce death."

We could have told them that...

Again I don't condone getting pups messed up for our amusement... It's not right they don't know whats going on. But I would not be too worried about them being exposed to it.

Back
Top Bottom