3 Dimensional THC Molecule

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
bgf_4_1201102232.gif

Here's another good model of our favorite molecule.

3D structure of d9-TetraHydroCannabinol.

It's interactive.

Funny there are only 3 different elements in THC, hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon.

C21 (in black) H30 (in white) O2 (in red).

Theres a benzene ring at the base of the molecule C6H6, and the carbons branch from there terminated by hydrogen atoms.

I'm getting a tattoo of the chemical structure on my forearm! i'm a chemist, so i can just say it's cuz of my love for chemistry! HAHAHAHAHA I LOVE WEED!

thats funky to imagine that the tip of that molecule is what actually lodges into tha thc receptors of your brain and gets your high

How is the THC molecule formed in a marijuana plant and how is it made synthetically? Could i incorporate this process into an ordinary fruit or berry (for cooking) with genetic modification?

The THC molecule along with around 66 other cannabinoids are just components of the resin that is formed within the head of the trichome (the bulbous tip). The tip itself doesn't plug into your brain's receptors, it's several orders of magnitude larger than the form of THC that causes the primary effect we all love so much.

Coloured-SEM.jpg

Ah i see, thank you. But is it possible to genetically modify the resin on a molecular scale into a new plant that would be of the same family like hops or hackberry trees or is that crazy talk?

To my knowledge, cannabis is the only type of plant that produces THC.

Many plants have trichomes and produce resins, they just don't contain cannabinoids (by definition).

These resins are both part of the plant's natural defense system and a means of capturing airborne pollen for propagation of the species.

The THC molecule along with around 66 other cannabinoids are just components of the resin that is formed within the head of the trichome (the bulbous tip). The tip itself doesn't plug into your brain's receptors, it's several orders of magnitude larger than the form of THC that causes the primary effect we all love so much.

Coloured-SEM.jpg

:hmmmm: holy.

Thanks soniq but what do you mean.. "its orders of magnitude larger that the form of thc itself that get us high''? I mean I dont know about you but thc gets me high, and thc molecules are a' flowin in my brain, thus making me high.

not questioning your logic, just trying to comprehend it:thanks:

I'm saying that the THC molecule is far far smaller than the tip of the trichome.

It's not the trichome that docks with the brain's receptor, it's the THC molecule that is formed inside the trichomes tip.

Here's a technical description of the process that I found w/photo

thc_binding.jpg

THC, or delta-9- tetrahydrocannabinol, is the primary chemical found in marijuana. Once inhaled, this substance readily binds to cannabinoid receptors located in the central nervous system and the immune system. The two subtypes of cannabinoid receptors are CB1 and CB2,. [snip]

Endocannabinoid neurotransmitters activate these cannabinoid receptors, and are naturally generated in the brain. Anandamide was the first endogenous cannabinoid discovered. This neurotransmitter stimulates dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area-mesolimbic pathway. Dopamine is primary chemical released through the psychoactive affects of THC. This chemical is related to the pleasurable feelings associated with marijuana. The brain reward system promotes the release of dopamine in the brain and is necessary for survival. THC can bind with opioid receptors that release natural sedating chemicals in the nucleus accumbens, such as dopamine, producing euphoria.

When a user smokes marijuana, THC rapidly moves towards the brain. The mechanism of how THC interacts with the brain is not fully understood. An influx of calcium ions at the post-synaptic neuron causes a depolarization of the neuron and the generation of endocannabinoids, dopamine or other neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters are released into the synapse and bind to the CB1 or CB2, receptors on the pre-synaptic neuron depending on the location of the neuron. This action causes a reduction in the amount of GABA released. The pre-synaptic receptor on GABA interneurons most likely control the release of dopamine. Even though cannabinoid receptors are located in are areas of the brain linked to the release of dopamine, there are no cannabinoid receptors directly in neurons that produce dopamine

I'm saying that the THC molecule is far far smaller than the tip of the trichome.

It's not the trichome that docks with the brain's receptor, it's the THC molecule that is formed inside the trichomes tip.

Here's a technical description of the process that I found w/photo

thc_binding.jpg

THC, or delta-9- tetrahydrocannabinol, is the primary chemical found in marijuana. Once inhaled, this substance readily binds to cannabinoid receptors located in the central nervous system and the immune system. The two subtypes of cannabinoid receptors are CB1 and CB2,. [snip]

Endocannabinoid neurotransmitters activate these cannabinoid receptors, and are naturally generated in the brain. Anandamide was the first endogenous cannabinoid discovered. This neurotransmitter stimulates dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area-mesolimbic pathway. Dopamine is primary chemical released through the psychoactive affects of THC. This chemical is related to the pleasurable feelings associated with marijuana. The brain reward system promotes the release of dopamine in the brain and is necessary for survival. THC can bind with opioid receptors that release natural sedating chemicals in the nucleus accumbens, such as dopamine, producing euphoria.

When a user smokes marijuana, THC rapidly moves towards the brain. The mechanism of how THC interacts with the brain is not fully understood. An influx of calcium ions at the post-synaptic neuron causes a depolarization of the neuron and the generation of endocannabinoids, dopamine or other neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters are released into the synapse and bind to the CB1 or CB2, receptors on the pre-synaptic neuron depending on the location of the neuron. This action causes a reduction in the amount of GABA released. The pre-synaptic receptor on GABA interneurons most likely control the release of dopamine. Even though cannabinoid receptors are located in are areas of the brain linked to the release of dopamine, there are no cannabinoid receptors directly in neurons that produce dopamine

Thank you Soniq420! Although this may be a bit more technical than many smokers want for info - I LOVED IT! I am a retired RN and found this to be of GREAT interest!

There are also many pharmaceuticals that stimulate dopamine production. One that most people have heard of is Ritalin which is used to treat ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) to control the jittery unfocused behaviour. This may help some of the lay people to understand a little about dopamine effects (but there is a whole lot more to dopamine effects than just this).

To me it was very interesting to know the details of how marijuana effects our brains. Thanks Soniq!!! Interesting reading!

Back
Top Bottom