The Facts: Cannabis

There are three sub-species of cannabis plant - Cannabis sativa, Cannabis sativa indica and Cannabis sativa ruderalis - but it is the indica sub-species that provides the majority of the world's skunk, hash, kif or marijuana. The key components of the drug are THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).

· After cannabis is smoked, the THC acts on cannabinoid receptors in the brain, affecting memory, concentration, and perception and movement. The effects last three-to-four hours.

· Cannabis costs anywhere between £55 and £134 per ounce.

· Last month, a study by the Beckley Foundation found cannabis is less harmful than both alcohol and tobacco.

· The use of cannabis by humans has been traced back as far as the Mesolithic period (around 10,000BC).

· Queen Victoria was prescribed cannabis to calm period pains.

· 1936 saw the release of over-the-top anti-marijuana film Reefer Madness.

· Indian tradition says the gods sent man cannabis so he might attain delight, courage and heightened sexual desires.

· There are thought to be 140 million cannabis users globally (about 2 per cent of all people), making it the most popular illegal drug.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Observer
Copyright: 2008 Guardian News and Media Limited

wow! cannibis use can be traced back to 10,000BC during the mesolithic period. even primitive people were smart enough to realize the benefits of marijuana. so why is it that 12,000 years later some people just don't get it. i hope the war on drugs doesn't last for 12,000 years. at least 140 million people worldwide have been enlightened to the positive effects of weed.

I strongly doubt that 2 percent figure. I would guess it is higher, just unreported and underground. How did they come up with that number?

There are three sub-species of cannabis plant - Cannabis sativa, Cannabis sativa indica and Cannabis sativa ruderalis - but it is the indica sub-species that provides the majority of the world's skunk, hash, kif or marijuana. The key components of the drug are THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).

· After cannabis is smoked, the THC acts on cannabinoid receptors in the brain, affecting memory, concentration, and perception and movement. The effects last three-to-four hours.

· Cannabis costs anywhere between £55 and £134 per ounce.

· Last month, a study by the Beckley Foundation found cannabis is less harmful than both alcohol and tobacco.

· The use of cannabis by humans has been traced back as far as the Mesolithic period (around 10,000BC).

· Queen Victoria was prescribed cannabis to calm period pains.

· 1936 saw the release of over-the-top anti-marijuana film Reefer Madness.

· Indian tradition says the gods sent man cannabis so he might attain delight, courage and heightened sexual desires.

· There are thought to be 140 million cannabis users globally (about 2 per cent of all people), making it the most popular illegal drug.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Observer
Copyright: 2008 Guardian News and Media Limited

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

Your very welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here. Welcome to the the community!!

I feel that number is going to get much larger in the future. I can see more than 10 percent of the population using it once the benefits become commonplace.

62% of statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

I fully agree with Odin, most of the statistics are made up on the spot to support whatever point those particular people are trying to get across...In my experience I have met users from every walk of life in age groups from 18 to well over 90, people have to remember that if they are going to be stigmatized by their answer then they are just going to make up the best answer that they can at that time and be done with it. And to this day I am never in a situation around new people where someone in the group is not a user, this tells me that the actual number has to be a lot higher...:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom