Question about producing oil

thedogx

My friend is making oil using 99 isopropyl denatured alcohol. I was wondering what, if any dangers exist if the alcohol is not 100 percent boiled off and some remain in the oil and if it is still safe to consume if a small amount may be left. thank you

Definition of Denatured alcohol says it all.

Denatured alcohol, also called methylated spirits or denatured rectified spirit, is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, somewhat bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating, to discourage recreational consumption.

If you are making something medicinal stay with food grade materials and you won't have to worry about " is still safe to consume if a small amount may be left."

If you are going to ingest it, I would use grain alcohol instead of Iso.

Don't ingest Iso oil. Its good for making topicals though like skin rubs and such.. Coconut butter is better for that though.

I had a conversation with a biochemist about this earlier this year. His response was that ISO is produced for the commercial market, not meant to be ingested, ever. There will always be trace amounts of stuff no one cares about because it's not meant for human consumption.

There's no way to purge all of the ISO out of the oil. That's not an overstatement, just a statement of fact. Choose something food safe. It's worth the extra money.

I have always used grain alcohol in my extractions and had great results using 151 proof Everclear. Your results will reflect your research, and the quality of your end product will be the result of your determination, whether it's to help save a life or just to get fuuuuuuucked up!

Back
Top Bottom