Improved yield RSO

Lab Rat

Most people out there do the QWET or Quick Wash Ethanol method which yields about 3-4 grams of oil per ounce or around 13% to 14% extraction yield. The total cannabinoid content of an ounce is about 5-5.5 grams of oil, anything above that is just chlorophyll and plant waxes.

The "SCET" method or Slow Cold Ethanol will output maximum cannabinoid content while keeping the chlorophyll and plant waxes locked away in a frozen state. Extraction yield will be 17% to 19% while your oil should look more translucent like maple syrup.

This method improves upon the one posted by 420 Motoco on his main thread so I will not cover the entire extraction:

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

I do a couple of quick blasts in a food processor, it helps break up the buds and lowers the amount of ethanol needed to cover the product.

Stick all your ethanol and product in the freezer for at least 12 hours. Once your ethanol reaches the coldest temperature your freezer can provide you are done, its not going to get colder by waiting any longer but you do want your product to freeze so 12 hours should be fine.

Mix your product with your ethanol in a jar with a lid and give it a good shake, put back in the freezer for 12 hours. After 12 hours shake again and put back in the freezer for another 12 hours, shake one last time and strain to get the big stuff out.

Strain through a coffee filter, for high amounts you want to do it through several filters at the same time to avoid warming up your ethanol. At those extremely low temperatures things will get stuck in the filter which would be liquid at room temperature. This is commonly referred to as "winterizing" or filtering while cold.

Evaporate the ethanol and decarb as per Motoco's instructions.

I like the sound of this method, will have to try it next time around. Thanks for posting.

There's a member (PsyCro) who is doing a fresh/wet bud extraction with olive oil: Olive oil extract update. The idea is that there are more terpenes in fresh buds (and so more healing in the final oil).

How do you think your method Lab Rat would go with fresh, frozen buds?

I like the sound of this method, will have to try it next time around. Thanks for posting.

There's a member (PsyCro) who is doing a fresh/wet bud extraction with olive oil: Olive oil extract update. The idea is that there are more terpenes in fresh buds (and so more healing in the final oil).

How do you think your method Lab Rat would go with fresh, frozen buds?

The person which shared this method with me, emphasized that the bud needed to be dry in order to freeze or lock the chlorophyll and plant waxes in place. I'm not an organic chemist although dad is a chemist and he thinks that a frozen fresh bud would actually yield very little because the whole bud would be a block of ice.

I don't do the whole recreational thing, before I got sick I was a pilot and an aeronautical engineer but if I had access to green bud I would just make bud pesto and eat it. Salt, olive oil, parsley, a good amount of garlic and 4 buds in a food processor.

Juicing just takes too much plant matter, this seems like a good option.

JUICING > OIL > VAPING > SMOKING

Your freeze time prior to mixing should be however long it takes to turn water into ice cubes. Once your bud and ethanol hit their lowest temperature that your freezer can go down to, nothing else will happen not even if you wait a week. My extraction assistant is my dad who is a chemist so its not just an opinion but science.

The same goes for winterization, things that are liquid at room temperature will clump at certain temperatures and get stuck in the filter. This happens the moment your vessel (the ethanol) hits those temperatures. If your ethanol will not get any colder after 12 hours, leaving it a week in the freezer will not make it purer.

If your freezer has a thermostat knob, set it to the coldest while you are doing this.

Altainta, perhaps you are used to my previous posts which had a video but unfortunately I've stopped filming the few extractions that I make as I'm now the head of this NGO and I need to watch my back.

Okay no problem i can understand..
But you can assist right ?
Still the method is simple... i guess all we have to do is

Steps :-

Food processor (bud/trims/leafs)
Place processed bud/trims/leafs and ethanol for 12hr cooling
After 12hr Mix them and shake em and keep for cooling again
After 12hr strain with coffee filter (or whatever) (make oil as per motoco method)

Am i missing something ?

My questions
Can i try this with 170 proof ? any sideeffect ?

I've talked to people who say using a blender/food processor makes the terpenes go away and they would rather go by hand and break up the buds. I have motor skills issues so I use a food processor, also the person that shared this method said he grounds it as well but his smallest batch is 4 lbs.

• if your freezer has a thermostat set it to its lowest setting
• avoid opening the freezer or you might need more time than the 12 hours
• a good rule of thumb is to place a ice cube tray with lukewarm water next to your bud/ethanol. If its frozen after 12 hours you're golden.
•170 proof is 85% while I use 96% which is close to 190. If even rum or vodka won't freeze in the freezer at less than 40% I guess it will but I haven't tried it.

The person which shared this method with me, emphasized that the bud needed to be dry in order to freeze or lock the chlorophyll and plant waxes in place. I'm not an organic chemist although dad is a chemist and he thinks that a frozen fresh bud would actually yield very little because the whole bud would be a block of ice.

I don't do the whole recreational thing, before I got sick I was a pilot and an aeronautical engineer but if I had access to green bud I would just make bud pesto and eat it. Salt, olive oil, parsley, a good amount of garlic and 4 buds in a food processor.

Juicing just takes too much plant matter, this seems like a good option.

JUICING > OIL > VAPING > SMOKING

Edible consumption only gets you 6% bioavaibility and also introduces euphoria. It's a very inefficient way to get the medicinal value of the cannabinoids, but my favorite method of getting the euphoric benefits. So it really comes down to what your need is.

Okay no problem i can understand..
But you can assist right ?
Still the method is simple... i guess all we have to do is

Steps :-

Food processor (bud/trims/leafs)
Place processed bud/trims/leafs and ethanol for 12hr cooling
After 12hr Mix them and shake em and keep for cooling again
After 12hr strain with coffee filter (or whatever) (make oil as per motoco method)

Am i missing something ?

My questions
Can i try this with 170 proof ? any sideeffect ?

According to his instructions you freeze them separately before mixing. Then proceed just as you've outlined.

Lab Rat, this is invaluable information. Thank you so much for sharing. The only thing I see missing from your first post is the reinforcement to turn the freezer down to the lowest temperature before starting. If you write that line up and ask one of the mods they can add in for you and then you have the entire process all tidy and neat in that first post.

Please have them help you with that. Once it's done I'll add it to the oil blog. This is yet another way to increase yield. We keep refining the process of producing this marvelous healing oil. I'm excited.

We're collecting testimonials in the resource blog of how using Concentrated Cannabis Oil has benefitted you. If you'd like to add your story to the list I encourage you to write it and send it to me by PM. That invitation goes for anyone reading this.

94xjjohn has gotten a water distiller to reclaim the solvent. He will be posting his results when he makes his next batch. He is hoping to reclaim about 80%. :peace:

IF you get any update over it please share here or redirect me the thread where he will show it...

@SweetSue
Yes i forgot to write SEPARATELY !

@Lab Rat
There a slightly problem in my understanding. So please understand...
Refrigerator has two section top is ICE MAKING section and the bottom is Refrigeration section...
So where should i keep this stuff in the ICE MAKING SECTION or the REFRIGERATION SECTION...
please understand that english is not my first language and most of the term which other country uses is not understandable to some.

IF you get any update over it please share here or redirect me the thread where he will show it...

@SweetSue

@Lab Rat
Refrigerator has two section top is ICE MAKING section and the bottom is Refrigeration section...
So where should i keep this stuff in the ICE MAKING SECTION or the REFRIGERATION SECTION...
please understand that english is not my first language and most of the term which other country uses is not understandable to some.

John should be posting it on the oiler thread I posted above. :peace:

@SweetSue

@Lab Rat

Stop by Cannabis Oilers United! - CCO - RSO - CO It is a thread started by Cannabis oil users for cannabis oil users. Share your experience ask questions etc. We have people treating cancer, ptsd, ms, lyme, hypertension just to name a few. Come and join us. :cco: :peace:

@SweetSue

@Lab Rat

You want the coldest you can get, so go with the ice-making section.

Back
Top Bottom