Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

Preachforcure

Hi Everyone,

I had this thought today...I have read so much about how to decarboxylate RSO and that the temp that it should be done at is around 240 to 250 degrees for 30 minutes... The problem i have seen in many post is the inconsistency in keeping that temp, but it can be done pretty easy as I see it...

What if you made your RSO like normal (whatever works for you) then take it and put it in a canning jar (top and lid of course) put that in your pressure cooker with a few inches of water and pressure cook it at 15 psi for 30 min...perfectly decarboxylate RSO

at 15 psi at 0 elevation the water boils at yes you guessed it 250.... at higher elevations you will need a slightly higher pressure adjust accordingly... Remember that 14.69 on this chart is 0 because pressure cooker gauges are zeroed at 14.69... What are your thoughts...another added benefit might be that the product will also be vacuumed sealed for longer storage....

water-pressure-boiling-temperature-2.png

I'm going to try this after I make my first batch of oil...I'm going to grow LSD and Medicann Blue Blood and make a combined oil with both...LDS is very high in THC and Blue Blood is very high in CBD...Hopefully I will the the best of both worlds for an awesome medicine.

I'll post this both in SweetSue's study hall here and the decarboxylation in a pressure cooker thread here as it's relevant to both...

It looks like someone has already done some pressure cooker decarboxylation here :)

I'm going to try this after I make my first batch of oil...I'm going to grow LSD and Medicann Blue Blood and make a combined oil with both...LDS is very high in THC and Blue Blood is very high in CBD...Hopefully I will the the best of both worlds for an awesome medicine.

Nice choice with the Blue Blood :thumb:

I've got some Blue Blood seeds that have been growing for between a few days and nearly two weeks, all 3 germinated and are looking good so far :)

I've also got some Aurora Indica, unfortunately they're not doing as well but I have one growing (with some really funny looking leaves) and another one that might make it if I'm really lucky.

Very similar thoughts to you, one strain high in THC and one high in both :)

Best of luck!

Is anyone still pursuing this line of experimenting? I'm just looking into making oil for my daughter-in-law's migraines and doing my research! This sounds like a great method.

No more 'experimentation', i and a few other people locally use it exclusively . It's simply the best way i have found to do a vegetable oil extract.. clean oil, more substance retention, less hassle cooking ;)

Let me sub in so I have a connection.

Just found some more interesting info googlin about:

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Results - YouTube

There are 4 other short videos leading up to this one, but this one has the results. You will notice that method 3, the water simmer method, extracts THE MOST cannabinoids. The catch is that being done at only 100 degrees Celsius for 3 hours this method has the least amount of decarboxylation.

Pressure cooker: water simmer method with higher temperature.. proper decarb and maximum extraction ;) (but we knew that already right!? :;):)

Just found some more interesting info googlin about:

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Results - YouTube

There are 4 other short videos leading up to this one, but this one has the results. You will notice that method 3, the water simmer method, extracts THE MOST cannabinoids. The catch is that being done at only 100 degrees Celsius for 3 hours this method has the least amount of decarboxylation.

Pressure cooker: water simmer method with higher temperature.. proper decarb and maximum extraction ;) (but we knew that already right!? :;):)

PsyCro.... You elusive man! I'll watch this later, after gardening chores. I'm getting ready to do my first batch with a pressure cooker, probably tomorrow, so if you learned any new tricks I'd appreciate your sharing them on the Olive Oil Extraction thread.

Pardon my initial ignorance on this subject of decarboxylation, but my wife has a food science degree and when I told her about this method (we have both a pressure canner and cooker) she asked "if they are trying release CO2, does the closed container inhibit that?". Her second question was "is there any way, short of sending it to a lab, to know if you were successful?". We produce honey and currently have both CD Dream and CB Dutch Treat in the greenhouse. Thinking of trying this end of summer. Thanks!

Pardon my initial ignorance on this subject of decarboxylation, but my wife has a food science degree and when I told her about this method (we have both a pressure canner and cooker) she asked "if they are trying release CO2, does the closed container inhibit that?". Her second question was "is there any way, short of sending it to a lab, to know if you were successful?". We produce honey and currently have both CD Dream and CB Dutch Treat in the greenhouse. Thinking of trying this end of summer. Thanks!

Barring lab testing the only way to judge the success of decarb is the euphoric effect one would enjoy, and PsyCro has determined that the effects he gets from his pressure cooked decarbed oils is at least as potent, if not more so than his stovetop method of making fresh harvest extractions.

So I used a pressure cooker to decarb actual buds yesterday and the results were extremely positive. I put fresh bud in one jar and dried trim in two jars.

I kept the psi at 15 for 45 minutes (a little extra time to make sure decarb would be complete). Then let the cooker cool down and checked the results.

The dry trim stayed dry but now had a darker color and also an abv type aroma. The fresh buds decreased in size by about half and had a changed aroma as well though more terps came through. The fresh buds did have condensation in the jar but just from evaporating their own water. All jars had lids with the band screwed on snug but not tight.

Dry trim still dry: this shows water only exits the jar and doesn't enter from the cooker.

420-magazine-mobile1305406805.jpg

Fresh buds wet but decarbed. Water must have been able to boil off and exit the jar because the buds were wet but not sitting in pooled water.

420-magazine-mobile540282568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile670630471.jpg

I blended the fresh buds with olive oil and blended then together then put back in the quart jar and boiled the water bath around the jar for 2 hours.

420-magazine-mobile1112160824.jpg

I used the trim to make coconut oil in the mbm (4oz trim, 3cups coconut oil, plus 3 tbs lecithin. 4 size "0" caps (about 2ml total) set me on my butt, couchlocking me and incapacitating me for a few hours. (Decarb successful lmao)

420-magazine-mobile726216832.jpg

The fresh oil I removed the water off the bottom with a pipette and mixed in half a tbs lecithin. I took two caps about an hour ago and they are settling in for a nice buzz. Speedy and good as the buds I used were Dynastygenetics Bluniverse which has a nice speedy head buzz and a wonderful body buzz.
420-magazine-mobile114354177.jpg

Again I know this isn't RSO but I decided to add it to the conversation as some of us will want to decarb buds this way also. And fresh harvest oil made this way was just as tasty for me.

So I used a pressure cooker to decarb actual buds yesterday and the results were extremely positive. I put fresh bud in one jar and dried trim in two jars.

I kept the psi at 15 for 45 minutes (a little extra time to make sure decarb would be complete). Then let the cooker cool down and checked the results.

The dry trim stayed dry but now had a darker color and also an abv type aroma. The fresh buds decreased in size by about half and had a changed aroma as well though more terps came through. The fresh buds did have condensation in the jar but just from evaporating their own water. All jars had lids with the band screwed on snug but not tight.

Dry trim still dry: this shows water only exits the jar and doesn't enter from the cooker.

420-magazine-mobile1305406805.jpg

Fresh buds wet but decarbed. Water must have been able to boil off and exit the jar because the buds were wet but not sitting in pooled water.

420-magazine-mobile540282568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile670630471.jpg

I blended the fresh buds with olive oil and blended then together then put back in the quart jar and boiled the water bath around the jar for 2 hours.

420-magazine-mobile1112160824.jpg

I used the trim to make coconut oil in the mbm (4oz trim, 3cups coconut oil, plus 3 tbs lecithin. 4 size "0" caps (about 2ml total) set me on my butt, couchlocking me and incapacitating me for a few hours. (Decarb successful lmao)

420-magazine-mobile726216832.jpg

The fresh oil I removed the water off the bottom with a pipette and mixed in half a tbs lecithin. I took two caps about an hour ago and they are settling in for a nice buzz. Speedy and good as the buds I used were Dynastygenetics Bluniverse which has a nice speedy head buzz and a wonderful body buzz.
420-magazine-mobile114354177.jpg

Again I know this isn't RSO but I decided to add it to the conversation as some of us will want to decarb buds this way also. And fresh harvest oil made this way was just as tasty for me.

:thumb:

An update is that the coconut oil from the trim leaf was very strong. I had six small caps (about 3 of the big caps) and was couchlocked for a few hours in a good way!

I tried and mentione,foodsaver bags to pressure cook my fresh herb last year somewhere in my journal, im not sure of the pressure..i'd have to look into it.
the herb was fresh; decarbed... I'll play around again if i get some fresh herb this year :)

According to the chart posted, my electric pressure cooker that operates at 11.6 psi would have a boiling point of approximately 200 degrees F.

Is this too low to work correctly?

Back
Top Bottom