Cannabis-infused olive oil

wopthedo

I have stage 4 severe emphysema (COPD) and aged 71. In addition, I have 2 stomach ulcers, arthritis in arm joints, a hernia and cluster migraines. I'm not looking for a cure, which would be great, but relief from pain and most important some mobility.

I have ordered some seeds : Aurora Indica, White Widow, Ice, Northern Light and hope to start balcony-growing before the end of the month, ie outdoor growing. Because I am 100% physically incapacitated, my family will do this for me. This growing is ILLEGAL in this country, but I'm breaking the law to stay alive

I don't want to use alcohol as an extract and would like to use olive oil. I intend to ingest via a dropper. Anyway, I'd like to ask help on a few things :
1) I don't want to prepare enough for 3 months consumption : how much pot and how much olive oil?
2) Daily dosage? I read one guy used 1/8 ounce with 200 ml olive oil, took 2-4 drops per day.
3) How long can the infused oil keep in fridge?

Any info would be most appreciated

Olive oil doesn't need to be kept in the refrigerator. One of the benefits of extracting with olive oil.

Hello wopthedo, I'm sorry to hear that your body decided to challenge you in so many rediculous ways. I'm thankful to hear you've wisely chosen to pursue cannabis-based healing.

PsyCro worked out a method for olive oil extraction that I believe may meet your needs. Here's a link to my blog on the technique.

PsyCro's Olive Oil Extraction Method

All of your questions should be answered in there. This is a potent extraction. Don't underestimate its power. If you make an oil with a CBD-dominant strain as well as one with higher THC you get the best of both worlds and can begin to stagger your doses to get relief from both applications, which would be targeting different concerns.

There's a link at the bottom of my signature line to the dosing and delivery methods thread. There might be information you could use there as well.

I wish you luck in your quest. I'm easy to find if there's anything else I can help with. Hopefully this helped you some. Cannabis is a more effective pain medication than any of the opiods, so there's good reason to hope you'll succeed in finding that perfect oil. I recently made some with a balanced CBD:THC ratio and it's tasty stuff, let me tell you. The coconut oil extractions are even tastier, but the olive oil, being a long-chained fatty acid will be absorbed into the lymphatic system, avoiding the first pass through the liver and giving you more time to get use out of the cannabinoids before they do get to the liver.

Incidentally, there are steps you can take to increase the bioavailability of your cannabis-based medications. If you're not already doing so you may want to check out this link as well.

Competitive Inhibition: Improving Bioavailability

Ok, I'll stop overloading you with information. :laughtwo: Best of luck to you. If you need me give me a shout. I'm kinda everywhere, so I'll hear you.

Hi Sue,

Got a long way to get there yet! My White Widow seeds were a disaster, two had stuck helmets, one didn't come up at all and only 1 survived and not moving much after 8 days. I have 2 Master Kush sprouted yesterday, which look healthier, 3 Notherrn Lights not up yet, and am awaiting arrival of 3 auto-flowering seeds - AK47 - hoping to harvest in 10 weeks.

As for getting cannabis-infused olive oil, after decarbox, I hope to use the 2 hr double-boiler method - oil & cannabis in pan over pan with boiling water. I don't want to get the oil and water to mix and I don't want to use alcohol-based solvents, then strain.

Hi Sue,

Got a long way to get there yet! My White Widow seeds were a disaster, two had stuck helmets, one didn't come up at all and only 1 survived and not moving much after 8 days. I have 2 Master Kush sprouted yesterday, which look healthier, 3 Notherrn Lights not up yet, and am awaiting arrival of 3 auto-flowering seeds - AK47 - hoping to harvest in 10 weeks.

As for getting cannabis-infused olive oil, after decarbox, I hope to use the 2 hr double-boiler method - oil & cannabis in pan over pan with boiling water. I don't want to get the oil and water to mix and I don't want to use alcohol-based solvents, then strain.

I'm thinking of trying that myself. As the administrator of my study hall thread I feel a responsibility to try out as many different methods and techniques as I can to see what really works and how I can improve on it, adapting to my own needs and circumstances. It feeds my curious nature. :laughtwo: The big challenge, as always, is having enough plant material on hand to play.

When my seeds sprout with the helmets I drip a couple drops of water on them, make myself wait a few minutes - and I mean make myself wait, because I'm rediculously impatient sometimes, and then pry it off with a couple toothpicks. So far it's worked like a charm. Occasionally one fights me, but I win every squabble and they're no worse for wear.

Something to consider next time. Germination is still the most stressful time for me. Seeds cost dearly and can be difficult to come by, so we try to make each one be a winner. If they sent you ten seeds to the one you purchased your germination rates would improve, if only because the stress would evaporate.

I'll be sending strong thoughts of intention to your garden wopthedo. :love:

Olive oil doesn't need to be kept in the refrigerator. One of the benefits of extracting with olive oil.

This is incorrect.. i MUST point that out because i would hate that any large amount of oil goes to waste on anyone. This oil even though cooked at a lower temperature as is done so with this method, IS perishable. It will go bad if not kept in the fridge.. it will take several months (even quicker in a warm environment), but it will go bad.
Its best to keep it for eg. in a smaller bottle that will get continuously used, and the rest in a larger bottle in the fridge, a cold cellar or whatnot.

I'll do my best to document my next batch via pressure cooker, pics 'n all that shag, and post that up!

I take your point. Although I haven't got there yet, I'd go for 1 ounce - 28 grams - infusions at a time in 2 cups of oil. As there are approx 48 teaspoondulls in one cup, dosage would be 1/2 teaspoon, ie 192, which would last several months. As you mentioned, I intend to buy much smaller glass bottles with a dropper/ Maybe I should go for 1 cup and halve all these amounts. At the moment, it's theoretical, will have to see how it goes.

High wopthedo

You probably should have started this thread in one of the grow forums to help get your grow going first or how you make the extract is never going to happen.

Extracting with solvents is more to obtain oil for dabbing or to make Rick Simpson Oil, RSO, but out of olive oil, butter or coconut oil extractions I like coconut oil the best and I've done them all. Butter will go bad the fastest and can be rancid in just a few days depending on temperature. Olive oil will be fine for a lot longer but will go bad quicker depending on how high a temp was used during the extraction. Coconut oil lasts for ages and isn't affected by normal extraction temps. I go up to around 270F when doing mine to decarb in the oil so all the terpenes and other volatiles are captured in the oil and not wasted stinking up your house like it does when decarbed in the oven. Most people do that wrong too and waste a lot of valuable medicine. Kind of like percolating coffee compared to a good drip maker. The percolator smells great but that smell is a lot of the flavour that won't be in your cup of joe. :)

I make mine in a small crock pot using a variac to increase the line voltage to get higher temps than the crock pot can do on it's own. This allows me to raise the temp high enough to decarb the pot in the oil which shows as fine bubbles that start around 235F/113C and increase up to about 260F/127C. Doesn't come to a boil but just makes a mat of bubbles that float on the surface for a while.

A small pot holding the coconut oil/cannabis in a larger pot with a couple inches of another oil like canola would allow higher temps without the use of the variac and could be done on the stove or a hotplate.

Crockpot01.JPG

Dosage is important as it only takes 2ml of the 10:1. (10g oil/1g bud), I made to send me off to bed a couple hours after eating. I tried building up my tolerance but a month later I still couldn't take much more than that without feeling dizzy and disoriented.

Recently I've been reading about making the oil without decarbing as it is supposed to be just as good medicinally without getting you all messed up like some say for juicing fresh buds to get all the good without the buzz. This should allow one to ingest much higher levels of cannabinoids and not suffer an overdose. I have also started growing a high CBD strain called Otto #1 to explore the effects of CBD on my ailments. Chronic depression, arthritis, COPD and what seems like fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. At only 61 I'm not ready to lie down and wait for the reaper quite yet. :)

Good luck.

:peace:

I believe I was watching the Eddie Haung show where he goes to different places and they used cannabis infused olive oil in one of the dishes.

About 7 years ago, I did ingest my daily crop of heads topped from my plants grown outside.Because of the onset of emphysema, I decided to stop smoking the pot. Each day, I'd heat a dessert-spoonful of olive oil to simmer, then put in the trim for some 5 minutes. FIVE minutes?? Yeah, well I didn't know any better. I then strained the result into a yogurt which I ate about 1 hour after dinner. It tasted dreadful. Did it work? Yes, hit me after an hour, lasted 2-3 hours.
But this was very amateurish, and I did this before plants reached maturity. Eventually, my source ran out and I became too ill to grow.

The upshot was, I have consumed before via this very crude method and did experience the effects. I felt high, got mobile, airways opened, slept like a log.

This is incorrect.. i MUST point that out because i would hate that any large amount of oil goes to waste on anyone. This oil even though cooked at a lower temperature as is done so with this method, IS perishable. It will go bad if not kept in the fridge.. it will take several months (even quicker in a warm environment), but it will go bad.
Its best to keep it for eg. in a smaller bottle that will get continuously used, and the rest in a larger bottle in the fridge, a cold cellar or whatnot.

I'll do my best to document my next batch via pressure cooker, pics 'n all that shag, and post that up!

Thank you PsyCro. I wasn't aware of this and you probably saved a majority of my last harvest. I owe you one, big time. I anxiously await that documentation. I'm excited about that process.

High wopthedo

You probably should have started this thread in one of the grow forums to help get your grow going first or how you make the extract is never going to happen.

Extracting with solvents is more to obtain oil for dabbing or to make Rick Simpson Oil, RSO, but out of olive oil, butter or coconut oil extractions I like coconut oil the best and I've done them all. Butter will go bad the fastest and can be rancid in just a few days depending on temperature. Olive oil will be fine for a lot longer but will go bad quicker depending on how high a temp was used during the extraction. Coconut oil lasts for ages and isn't affected by normal extraction temps. I go up to around 270F when doing mine to decarb in the oil so all the terpenes and other volatiles are captured in the oil and not wasted stinking up your house like it does when decarbed in the oven. Most people do that wrong too and waste a lot of valuable medicine. Kind of like percolating coffee compared to a good drip maker. The percolator smells great but that smell is a lot of the flavour that won't be in your cup of joe. :)

I make mine in a small crock pot using a variac to increase the line voltage to get higher temps than the crock pot can do on it's own. This allows me to raise the temp high enough to decarb the pot in the oil which shows as fine bubbles that start around 235F/113C and increase up to about 260F/127C. Doesn't come to a boil but just makes a mat of bubbles that float on the surface for a while.

A small pot holding the coconut oil/cannabis in a larger pot with a couple inches of another oil like canola would allow higher temps without the use of the variac and could be done on the stove or a hotplate.

Crockpot01.JPG

Dosage is important as it only takes 2ml of the 10:1. (10g oil/1g bud), I made to send me off to bed a couple hours after eating. I tried building up my tolerance but a month later I still couldn't take much more than that without feeling dizzy and disoriented.

Recently I've been reading about making the oil without decarbing as it is supposed to be just as good medicinally without getting you all messed up like some say for juicing fresh buds to get all the good without the buzz. This should allow one to ingest much higher levels of cannabinoids and not suffer an overdose. I have also started growing a high CBD strain called Otto #1 to explore the effects of CBD on my ailments. Chronic depression, arthritis, COPD and what seems like fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. At only 61 I'm not ready to lie down and wait for the reaper quite yet. :)

Good luck.

:peace:

Wow! I learned a lot just reading that post OldMedUser. Best of luck on your first venture into the CBD dominant strains. I believe you'll be quite pleased. CBD has proven very effective by our own members in treating everything on your list. I'm not certain you need one with that high a ratio of CBD:THC though. I believe that ratio is pretty much grown for the treatment of epilepsy, and even most epileptics will respond positively to a lower ratio.

My daughter's seen tremendous relief for depression, chronic pain, PTSD and anxiety disorder with a 2:1 CBD:THC ratio. Most ailments appear to respond well to ratios below 8:1.

The advantage to choosing olive over coconut oil is that olive is a long-chained fatty acid and gets absorbed into the lymphatic system, thereby avoiding the first pass through the liver. That way you gain more time for attachment to receptors. Coconut oil is a medium-chained fatty acid and goes straight from the stomach to the liver. If you're using coconut oil, an excellent choice mind you and I'll grant you much tastier than olive, incorporate some techniques of competitive inhibition so the liver enzymes are distracted when the cannabinoids arrive.

With me, once a buzz, always a buzz. Having to lie in a bed all day is depressing in itself, so La-la Land is ok by me, bring it on!

I can certainly appreciate that. :battingeyelashes: I'm up and around and I do my best to keep a steady buzz going. Then coconut oil would be a better choice for fast-acting onset. Add some lecithin to the mix and accelerate that onset time, as well as potentially extend the window of bliss.

I can certainly appreciate that. :battingeyelashes: I'm up and around and I do my best to keep a steady buzz going. Then coconut oil would be a better choice for fast-acting onset. Add some lecithin to the mix and accelerate that onset time, as well as potentially extend the window of bliss.

Just an update, Sue : Have 2 AK Autos flowering - 38 days old; 5 Fem Master Kush - 44 days old about 32 cm, 3 Fem Northern Lights just topped at 4th node as it's only 20 days old, and 6 Regular plants - 38 days old at about 35 cm. No problems, apart from leaf tip curl on one plant, probably overwatering as I'd added no nutrients to any of the plants. In the meantime, I'm still trying to get more info on the double pan method for extraction. The one by Primo on Youtube looks very simple

Just an update, Sue : Have 2 AK Autos flowering - 38 days old; 5 Fem Master Kush - 44 days old about 32 cm, 3 Fem Northern Lights just topped at 4th node as it's only 20 days old, and 6 Regular plants - 38 days old at about 35 cm. No problems, apart from leaf tip curl on one plant, probably overwatering as I'd added no nutrients to any of the plants. In the meantime, I'm still trying to get more info on the double pan method for extraction. The one by Primo on Youtube looks very simple

Sorry to take so long getting back to this. Could you please save me the search time and link that video here? I'd surely appreciate the chance to see it. Alternatively, you could drop it in the study hall, since I'm through the here multiple times a day. Doesn't really matter where, just leave it somewhere and I'll track it down.

Thanks wopthedo. :hug: :love:

Okay, I'm confused. I come from the land of olives and we never keep olive oil in a fridge.

We store it always in glass bottles, never in plastic containers (it turns bitter), in a dark and cool place like a cellar, but never in the kitchen because kitchen gets quite warm when cooking. If one doesn't have a basement, a dark cupboard will do fine.

I have olive oil stored over a year and a half in those conditions (18-19 Celsius or around 64-65F) and never had any problems. And neither has anyone I know.

But, as I've said, we really have great quality oils here and I always buy it directly from the producer. Cold-pressed and truly extra virgin. One of the best quality in the world. Could that be the reason? I mean, I know that over 90% of olive oils you see on the shelves have been mixed up with other oils and are not true extra-virgin oils. It's one of the easiest scams to do and you need a professional analysis to confirm it (or deny it).

I mean, there's no harm in keeping it in a fridge. It will turn cloudy and solidify but back at room temperature it will clear and regain its normal consistency.

Do cannabinoids, somehow, change the chemistry of the oil so that it must be kept refrigirated?

Okay, I'm confused. I come from the land of olives and we never keep olive oil in a fridge.

We store it always in glass bottles, never in plastic containers (it turns bitter), in a dark and cool place like a cellar, but never in the kitchen because kitchen gets quite warm when cooking. If one doesn't have a basement, a dark cupboard will do fine.

I have olive oil stored over a year and a half in those conditions (18-19 Celsius or around 64-65F) and never had any problems. And neither has anyone I know.

But, as I've said, we really have great quality oils here and I always buy it directly from the producer. Cold-pressed and truly extra virgin. One of the best quality in the world. Could that be the reason? I mean, I know that over 90% of olive oils you see on the shelves have been mixed up with other oils and are not true extra-virgin oils. It's one of the easiest scams to do and you need a professional analysis to confirm it (or deny it).

I mean, there's no harm in keeping it in a fridge. It will turn cloudy and solidify but back at room temperature it will clear and regain its normal consistency.

Do cannabinoids, somehow, change the chemistry of the oil so that it must be kept refrigirated?

Its not the oil itself that's perishable, its the cooking process which makes it perishable.. otherwise yes, olive oil can go on for years in the cellar ;)

I've had only a small amount once go bad, but just a little.. and that was afters months of storage in summer temperatures. Basically a rancid taste and smell is what you will get.. in any case you will get used to the taste and then notice if and when it goes bad. But keep the large amounts in the fridge and no worries ;)

Back
Top Bottom