A Little Guidance On Tincture Making Please

Bucudinkydow

I've done a lot of research on the subject and have found as many different procedures as I have finger and toes! Most confusing for a first timer. I have an MBM2 that I've used to make canna-oils using coconut oil, MCT and veggy glycerine. My four attempts have resulted in disappointing to mediocre results. It's been a waste of some good weed and i hope not to throw good after bad.

Here is my outline for my first attempt at tincture. Please hold my hand a bit and give me some guidance if any of my plans seem to be going astray.

1. I have some really kick-ass home grown blue dream buds that have been curing for about nine months. I plan to decarb by placing my coursely chopped weed in a sealed roasting bag and putting it in a preheated 240 degree oven for 1 hour.

2. I plan to use a guesstimated ounce of decarbed bud and 2 cups of everclear 190 in my MBM2 set at 160 degrees for 4 hrs. At the completion of the cycle, I plan on testing the potency. If it's at an acceptable level, I'll strain until clear and store in appropriate containers, probably tinted dropper bottles. If the potency falls short of my expectations, I see two possible ways to make an attempt at strengthening the potion. First, leave it open in a well ventilated, dark area and allow for natural evaporation of the alcohol content. Or, pour up the tincture and the ground buds into a sealed container and allow time to possibly leach out a bit more strength from the herbs.

3. And I pose this as a question and not sure I will try it without an amen from someone here. I've found the taste of my former attempts horrible. From what I understand, the foul taste is from chlorophyll, etc.. If, in fact, chlorophyll and terpenes are water soluble and the thc's and other cannabinoids are not, is it possible to soak my intact cured buds in water for a few days and allow to air dry thoroughly prior to chopping coursely and decarbing? Would this help with the the bad tastes without, most importantly, having an adverse effect on the potency?

Thanx for any advice.

I've done a lot of research on the subject and have found as many different procedures as I have finger and toes! Most confusing for a first timer. I have an MBM2 that I've used to make canna-oils using coconut oil, MCT and veggy glycerine. My four attempts have resulted in disappointing to mediocre results. It's been a waste of some good weed and i hope not to throw good after bad.

Here is my outline for my first attempt at tincture. Please hold my hand a bit and give me some guidance if any of my plans seem to be going astray.

1. I have some really kick-ass home grown blue dream buds that have been curing for about nine months. I plan to decarb by placing my coursely chopped weed in a sealed roasting bag and putting it in a preheated 240 degree oven for 1 hour.

2. I plan to use a guesstimated ounce of decarbed bud and 2 cups of everclear 190 in my MBM2 set at 160 degrees for 4 hrs. At the completion of the cycle, I plan on testing the potency. If it's at an acceptable level, I'll strain until clear and store in appropriate containers, probably tinted dropper bottles. If the potency falls short of my expectations, I see two possible ways to make an attempt at strengthening the potion. First, leave it open in a well ventilated, dark area and allow for natural evaporation of the alcohol content. Or, pour up the tincture and the ground buds into a sealed container and allow time to possibly leach out a bit more strength from the herbs.

3. And I pose this as a question and not sure I will try it without an amen from someone here. I've found the taste of my former attempts horrible. From what I understand, the foul taste is from chlorophyll, etc.. If, in fact, chlorophyll and terpenes are water soluble and the thc's and other cannabinoids are not, is it possible to soak my intact cured buds in water for a few days and allow to air dry thoroughly prior to chopping coursely and decarbing? Would this help with the the bad tastes without, most importantly, having an adverse effect on the potency?

Thanx for any advice.

Sorry I did not see this sooner. If you put it in your MB2 for 4 hours, you will have a burnt mess. (Ask me how I know). It won't take much longer then 30-40 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate at that temp. I would abandon the MB2 for CCO making. It works great for butter, olive or coconut oil or VG. How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil will give you the best way to make your oil. If you winterize it, you will loose most of the chlorophyll. :peace:

Thank you, supergroomer. After doing a lot more research, I came to the realization that my plan probably wasn't the best option. I'll be returning home next week and anxious to get started on plan b. I hope to share my methodology and the science behind it and some really interesting test analyses that I have ferreted out. Thanx again for your response.

Thank you, supergroomer. After doing a lot more research, I came to the realization that my plan probably wasn't the best option. I'll be returning home next week and anxious to get started on plan b. I hope to share my methodology and the science behind it and some really interesting test analyses that I have ferreted out. Thanx again for your response.

My pleasure. :peace:

Thanx for any advice.

If I am not mistaken, your buds have already naturally decarbed. Any heat will only cause damage. In my experience, buds are fully naturally decarbed within 4 to 6 months when stored in a sealed jar, undisturbed.

If it is good stuff, you eat a joint worth of bud and within 1 to 3 hours you will feel the effects. You may be stoned the rest of the day. I have heard of it taking up to 6 hours for some people.

Now I think you are a bit confused on what you want your final product to be. I have made tincture many times, and your procedures are pretty close except the temp and time to Decarb. I put it in the oven at210 for 40 mins, that is just enough time and tempature to change the THCA to TCH. after that i would ptu into a large mason jar filling up with buss about 80 percent full. Then I add liquor called Rumplemintz which is a 120 proof Peppermint Schnapps. and put it back into the freezed taking it out several times a day to give it a good shaking then after 5 dasys in the freezer I would store it in 2 oz brown bottles with eye droppers for the lids. Of course you need tostrain through 4 coffee filters. This will take some time. But the final Product only takes a few drops under the tounge and it tastes much better than if you use everclear. Now if you are going for a topical, thenyou will to will want to 99percent isyo rubbing alcohol to extract. hope this helped

Wow, this thread is nearing 3 years old but thanx Richie and welcome to the forum. Yep, looking back I’ll have to agree with you, but I’ve come a long way baby! Time and trials have been great educators!

Now I think you are a bit confused on what you want your final product to be. I have made tincture many times, and your procedures are pretty close except the temp and time to Decarb. I put it in the oven at210 for 40 mins, that is just enough time and tempature to change the THCA to TCH. after that i would ptu into a large mason jar filling up with buss about 80 percent full. Then I add liquor called Rumplemintz which is a 120 proof Peppermint Schnapps. and put it back into the freezed taking it out several times a day to give it a good shaking then after 5 dasys in the freezer I would store it in 2 oz brown bottles with eye droppers for the lids. Of course you need tostrain through 4 coffee filters. This will take some time. But the final Product only takes a few drops under the tounge and it tastes much better than if you use everclear. Now if you are going for a topical, thenyou will to will want to 99percent isyo rubbing alcohol to extract. hope this helped

After much research, our Dutch friends found that optimum decarb is 230f for 110 minutes. Try it. You won't be dissapointed. :circle-of-love::peace:

For tincture This is my go to
Light ground herb in the over @240*F for 60mins
Place bud in blender with some everclear quick blend for 3-5 secs pour out into a triple coffee filter
Freeze for 48 hrs
Crush fast acting charcoal (pet store/fish tank stuff) put in double coffee filter, run winterized mix through this, I usually do twice
Cook off everclear go slow
Scrap off and Weight out concentrate how much you have or you want

I use 2ml everclear to suspend 1 gram concentrate
Then add 10ml mct, heat this low heat
Everclear evaporates and you have MCT/THC tincture that will be 100mg/ml

You can do the final concentration how ever you choose
Fast acting charcoal cleans up your wash and gives it a more pure taste

Soy/sunflower lecithin will emulsify MCT oil with water so you can make gummies

Back
Top Bottom