Salvage moldy hash for concentrated oil

winterwhisper

Well my first experience with making bubble hash I thought turned out well enough...about 20 grams from one plant. I envisioned the resulting hash to have the somewhat moist consistency like the turkish hash that is stored in pliable bricks or balls. Although I let my hash dry out a fews days in a mason jar I finally closed it and a couple of weeks later I went to mix it with coconut oil and I see exterior mold. I don't see the same internal infiltration but it may be hard to see. Can I salvage this hash to make the oil. I could try killing the mold with rifeing and see how that goes. Any suggestions on saving this precious
hash?

moldy_hash.JPG

that looks gross but if your health is of minor importance, go ahead and make it into medibles. do not inhale anything vaped or combusted from that ... uh, destroyed hash lump.

You can use any process that destroys the mold and makes the resin into hash oil. Those are approved in the state of Oregon for commercial rec processing of moldy weed. Either the butane-wax method, common in Colorado, but more dangerous... or the ISO 91% alcohol or EverClear grain alcohol methods which are easier and cheaper to make. The methods are all detailed on YouTube. For de-molding the hash, just dissolve it in alcohol and then strain it through a paper filter and then let the alcohol evaporate off, and what you are left with will be hash oil. You can then blend the hash oil with cooking oil, or add some finely ground dry sugar trim leaves and use that as a blotter to soak up the oil and make lumps of hash for smoking.

Mold is the reason that I never store buds or hash in a sealed mason jar. Any moisture in there will favor mold growth. I use plastic bags. Yah, people trash talk plastic bags all the time, but I have stored cured weed for years in plastic bags and not had any mold grow on it. I also cool dry cure my weed for a long time in paper bags before putting it into plastic bags. The plastic bags breath just enough to prevent mold growth. I also live in a relatively dry climate... compared to the Midwest or South US.

he made bubble hash probably because he doesn't what chem sourced consumables but oh well...

it will sterilize it though :bongrip:

You can use any process that destroys the mold and makes the resin into hash oil. Those are approved in the state of Oregon for processing moldy weed. Either the butane-wax method, common in Colorado (but not legal in Oregon for home growers), or the ISO 91% alcohol or EverClear grain alcohol methods which are legal to do here. The later methods are all detailed on YouTube. For de-molding the hash, just dissolve it in alcohol and then strain it through a paper filter and then let the alcohol evaporate off, and what you are left with will be hash oil.

Oh thanks so much! It's great to know this won't have to go to waste. I switched to bubble hash for a more economic and compact way of storing medicine that I have converted to RSO in the past. It's nice to know there's this option for the future should I continue with bubble hash.

:thumb:

The problem with Bubble Hash is that it will not kill the mold... which is the reason for the more radical chemical methods. If you do not like blasting with butane (dangerous) or using ISO 91% (less dangerous), use EverClear. Its pure ethanol. The stuff in beer that give you a buzz. If you can buy it in your state. I used 151 Rum for making it in California. That is 76% ethanol. Spendy, and I hate to distill good booze off. All of these solvents will evaporate off and I have had no issues with residue.

Back
Top Bottom