4 pounds of RSO that needs a bit more of its ISO removed - Help!

captnrk

I just had my RSO tested at SC labs and I have way too high of PPM solvents (ISO) detected - 3159.1. I have several years worth of batches that were of various trial and error attempts that i combined into a single amount in order to blend to a consistent TCH percent as well as repurge the ISO solvents that linger from my early batches. I put it in a new crock pot and waited for the bubbles to stop. I stirred often to bring them to the top. I also dropped some water on top and waited for it to evaporate off. So this stuff was mostly finished very thick and dark RSO That was about 4" deep. (I have almost 4 pounds of it to do) was that just to much? I didn't think it would take much time to correct the high alcohol. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Its been awhile since i visited Phoenix Tears, in his instructions he mentions this "Another way to finish the oil without the use of a coffee warmer, is to put the oil in an oven set at 120°C or about(250°F) for about thirty minutes to an hour. Both of these methods work very well to bring the oil to a finished state". does anyone think i could do this with casserole pans? 4 at a time with an inch of RSO? Thanks again

I would purge it at a low temp like 180°F for a long period like a couple hours. The low temp won't hurt the oil and with a little water added you will know when the alcohol and other solvents are removed by the rise in the temp of your oil. I use a digital thermometer that gives the food temp and oven temp when i make my oil and i keep the food temp in my oil at around 176°F and oven temp is around 220°F and as soon as the food temp rises and shoots towards 200°F i know it's done with the alcohol. The time will vary based on how much alcohol or solvents are in your oil but the temps will tell you when it's done.

hope this helps

You can never remove all the ISO and considering ISO is made from fossil fuels which are known to be toxic I would rethink this. The vapor trapped in your house is doing some damage, even if you cannot smell it. This was written by a lawyer and is printed on the bottle.

20190920_152652 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom